Author Topic: K1200 Gearbox  (Read 13395 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: K1200 Gearbox
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 10:56:27 pm »
I think that the main problem would be cleaning all the pieces of swarf out of the engine. Would the swarf have already travelled to the grankshaft bearings? Would have to be a total stripdown.

Time for an engine and gearbox transplant. Bad luck Chris. Hope you get it sorted one way or another.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 09:17:26 am »
Unless a donor bike can be sourced VERY cheaply, the transplant option makes no sense to me. Even more so if the donor bike being looked for is a 1300. The improvements on the 1300 were a lod more than a few extra CCs, Given the work involved I'd definitely be looking at finding a K1300R then using the 1200 to be the donor bike for any of the customised bits that you'r really attached to, scrapping the rest of the 1200. It'll likely be less work, no more expensive, leave a bike that's better over all and will still worth something.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 10:55:27 am »
Except you still get the 12 gearbox which Chris is saying is a suspect design. One wonders what it would run like if it was just a 1300 engine and box plumbed in with no ECU changes etc.

As to Tom's comments about the swarf, if it is merely the shift levers that have bent then there won't be any. Did it actually explode with lots of whirly bits going graunch Chris, or just get stuck in gear?

And yes, being a cassette box means that it all just pops out as one unit rather than having to strip it all in situ which would mean an engine strip.

Anyone else done it?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 12:14:54 pm »
Sorry Brian,  but if the first para of your post is a response to mine it makes no sense. I'm suggesting scrapping the 12 and getting a 13, gearbox included.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 01:49:56 pm »
There was some initial graunching, but stopped that with a double clicking from 4th to 6th, after the stop at Shobdon, first time I took it to sixth it stuck that way and hasn’t moved since, biggest pain is having to clutch it to even move it in the garage.

Re a solution...too be honest their are quite a few ranging from scrapping it to heaven forbid fit a 1300 motor and the hassle with the software, as I said in the other post...it’s only when you go searching for video’s etc about such..the amount of great info is astonishing.

Currently the front runner is a 1300 gearbox and clutch, how one acquires such...now that could be interesting, but at the same time if I get a phone call saying how much for the bike as is could be another complication...because the immediate answer wouldn’t be yes i’ll Sell it...just something else to think about.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 04:57:44 pm »
Sorry Brian,  but if the first para of your post is a response to mine it makes no sense. I'm suggesting scrapping the 12 and getting a 13, gearbox included.

Ah, I thought you were suggesting getting a 13 for the gearbox and doing a transplant.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2021, 08:35:46 pm »
Woo boo after much huffing and puffing finally got the box into neutral..at least I can move the dam thing without the clutch, and shows all the signs as per the YouTube vids of being selectors.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 12:11:50 am »
Time to remove the gearbox and take a look.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 02:06:49 pm »
Thank heavens for all the individuals who take the time to post YouTube vids which has been most enlightening, even those that show the problem without the solution, and as bizarre as it sounds already had to threaten the individual who’ll strip it  ;D...that I expect to pay as a punter, cuz I know he’ll want to do it for peanuts.

Anyone got a link to priming the gearbox oil pump... :) cuz that looks currently to be the only missing link.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 02:33:29 pm »
It explains how to do it on the Reprom 11 41 000.

Looks like you need to pressurise the oil tank and crank the engine on the starter without it starting.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 03:33:16 pm »
Blimey! How do you prevent it from starting?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2021, 05:09:37 pm »
When i’ve worked out if the 1300 oil pump is a must and sourced a motor, will give priming the pump a tad more thought or my mate but thanks Tom and I do have the eprom...all of which doesn’t close currently compared to the 4 blokes I have at the house sorting the roof out.    :o :o

How the hell I ever found time to go to work...i’ve Absolutely no idea!!!!!!!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 06:45:07 pm »
Please don't forget to take a few photos as you get it apart, for the next unfortunate soul that may need them.
Cheers!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 08:45:57 pm »
And put a leek at the bottom of the replacement, for good luck. Or is it an onion. I think my grandad used an onion.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2021, 10:17:17 pm »
Blimey! How do you prevent it from starting?
You have to connect up to the diagnostics and carry out a crankshaft sensor test. This will crank the engine without starting it. I presume this can also be done with a GS911.