Author Topic: K1200 Gearbox  (Read 13209 times)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
K1200 Gearbox
« on: April 22, 2021, 04:25:07 pm »
Rather than a long ramble the old K decided it eat it’s gearbox today...riding two up from Shobdon airfield back to north B’ham including going via Kidderminster with it stuck in 6 gear...having already eaten 5th was an experience i’ll Not be forgetting in a while....

Preliminary phone calls around the motorcycle trade both BM and otherwise....we’re not good, looks like the old K may well be heading for the bin....thank heavens for multiple bike ownership...so currently will be pushed to the back of th garage until a solution or scrap man appears  ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: K1200 Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 04:55:35 pm »
Sorry to hear this.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 06:58:29 pm »
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
Mind you, that's a definitive tick in the box for the XR versus the K1200: didn't spit gearbox - tick.

So is it scrap in effect, or maybe a replacement engine?

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 07:30:08 pm »
Oh s1h1t! Hope it’s an easy fix, too good a bike to scrap.   :-\

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 07:38:45 pm »
In no particular order...

The ride home in 6th kin’ll what a experience that was...

Phone up Motorworks and ask about a gearbox...and get a very blunt ‘Stopped selling a lot of K parts too much hassle’

Phone an independent didn’t want to know...

A lot of home work to be done before I/we come up with a plan but hey ho it was going quite well till it went pop.

Lucky for me..my other half likes old things  :) were as my gut says scrap it, there’s a challenge to be had...fixing it so who knows  ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:08:07 pm »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 08:54:14 am »
Thanks for the heads up, in all honesty the logical thing is to scrap it...the bikes probably worth more in bits than even if it was running, digging into the net blimey  :o :o :o, but all sorts of options including pushing it to the back of the garage and forgetting about it...as I said in the other post the problem I have the wife actually likes it...  ;D ;D ;D,

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 09:56:21 am »
Thanks for the heads up, in all honesty the logical thing is to scrap it...the bikes probably worth more in bits than even if it was running, digging into the net blimey  :o :o :o, but all sorts of options including pushing it to the back of the garage and forgetting about it...as I said in the other post the problem I have the wife actually likes it...  ;D ;D ;D,

Buy your mate's 1300 version! At mates rates of course.
Same ergonomics, younger better engine. No brainer.

Oh, it's gone...  >:(

revd

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 11:53:12 am »
Oh dear me.  That is not good news at all.  Whatever you do, hope you get something sorted that makes you both happy.

You could buy a low mileage one and transfer the goodies over to it and that would tick boxes.

Offline commando 848

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED all round, bikini fairing, SC project exhaust carbon belly pan
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 05:43:09 pm »
So sorry to hear about that :( Breaking the bike is probably the best solution with the help of ebay and this forum, But you would need a lot of time to dismantle the bike and you would be left with a ton of parts ;D  The rebuild route would cost a lot of money. See if you can locate a tatty one with a good engine and rebuild a good one and try and flog the rest. Its a very difficult decision depending on how much you like the bike. before the gearbox went, how many miles had the bike done?  Another factor is that the K bikes are becoming rare, especially the 1200s. You could strip it down and see how bad it is.... 
Its better to burn out than fade away

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 06:06:36 pm »
Double ouch Chris!

One assumes you tried Motorworks. They live off OLD BMW's...

If it is still driving (and I assume it is, otherwise you were tryping this on the hard shoulder of the M6) it can only be a matter of a couple of cogs that need swapping out/in. Even at dealer prices for the bits that can't cost too much. And if the wife likes it, get her to buy the cogs for your birthday  :)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 06:53:22 pm »
I'll 3d print some cogs! PLA is fine yeah? Otherwise I'm sure some of us are decent at woodwork.

When I read "cassette gearbox" I want to believe it just pops out and you pop a new one in!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 07:52:50 pm »
Sorry to hear that Chris, I hope you find a way to keep it on the road.
Watchin you Focker

Offline Rawdon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 08:31:36 pm »
Had exactly the same issue with my k1200 about 7 years ago. Problem is that the dogs don't engage properly, due to a poorly machined selector drum, so you end up with bent selector forks as they jump out of gear.On the positive side, it's a really easy job to replace the box as it's a cassette gearbox, preferably with a k1300 box and clutch

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 08:33:07 pm »
Being a born pessimist...been expecting it for years but has still come as a shock..biggest pain is with it being stuck in 6th can’t even move the dam thing without clutching it...

Despite owning the bike for 12 years and being aware of gearbox gremlins....blimey when you start looking it’s quite a horror story...in short it needs a 1300 gear cassette...that’s the easy  bit, ideally looks like to keep life simple also a 1300 clutch pack and a few other bits and bobs behind it.

The above is the good news...so in view of the clutch pack being needed and the bits and bobs, looks like currently and I say currently...because all things are possible the easy solution to buy a 1300 motor and take what I need out of it, which looking at prices is around 2k, am I good enough to fit it!!! Possibly but with 6 bikes in the garage short of room.

When phoning around you would think I was asking if they could do open heart surgery  ;D, but if I go the above route I have a mate close by with a work shop who could probably do it, so currently as there’s no rush to fix it and even less inclination, I used to be undecided but now i’m Not so sure  :)

Just for those thinking blimey hope it doesn’t happen to me, most of what I read about it’s just a shit 1200 design, but my gut instinct with mine...it’s the aftermarket QS that although it worked really well, but with the gears not being undercut, just said i’ve Had enough.