Author Topic: Spring ride  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Foothills

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Anniversary Edition
Spring ride
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:02:55 pm »
Beautiful day here, about 70 degrees.  It was my first real chance to ride the K1300.  It is so different from my old bikes.   I have to say I am thrilled with it.  There is so much power in every gear.   

Wisdom is in knowing where courage ends and stupidity begins.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Spring ride
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:32:49 pm »
Looks lovely - the bike & the scenery!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:47:31 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 11:04:52 am »
Green with envy...

And talking of spring rides, went out for a ride in the car yesterday to spend the day with a friend. Geez. Rusty or what...

Haven't been further than the local town (which has a Covid induced 20mph limit) since before Xmas apart from a couple of farm shop trips on the trail bike so 50 miles felt like a days journey.

I did more advanced panic braking in the first 10 miles than I have done since I was 16. Talk about arriving at bends at terminal velocity. Being a Sunday morning I had two speed camera alert devices running 'cos I keep ignoring one...

On the A40 leaving Gloucester for The Air Balloon, eyes peeled for the camera van on the over-bridges, I thought I was being a good boy till I glanced at the speedo to find three large numerals and two of them weren't 1's or 0's. Talk about having lost my judgement.

Knocked the speed back below 80 and clicked the cruise control on and left it that way till I was off the A417.

It was all a little calmer in the evening on the way home but I think I need to be careful when I get out on the K for the first time. Going through a hedge in the car would be inconvenient (and two eejits had managed it before I even got to the M50 which is only 8 miles away), going through a hedge on the K could be terminal.

If you haven't been on the roads for a while, take care when it all eases up.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:47:12 pm by richtea »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:31:18 pm »
Great pictures. Keep them coming.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Foothills

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Anniversary Edition
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 01:46:30 pm »
In a few weeks the leaves will all be out and the scenery will be better.  Still looks a little wintery in places.
Wisdom is in knowing where courage ends and stupidity begins.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 04:32:56 pm »
Still waiting for the green light to go to Crossgates cafe from recent bike trips less than 30 miles will probably need a week to get over it, where things have got complicated bought a pair of decent electric mountains bikes at the start of Covid, have ridden close to 1600 miles in the last 12 months,and with the current standard of driving out there are far safer and enjoyable option.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 08:36:58 pm »
What seems really weird is that the only road users who have kept their skills are truckers, couriers, commuters and (I can't believe I'm saying this about the inept scourge of the roads) cyclists  ::)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 09:01:59 pm »
My motorbike skills are certainly de-tuned after 3+ months of lockdown. But another few spins, and I'll be vaguely pointing it in the right direction.
I've been out twice so far.
I have to concentrate on position quite a lot, mainly because the thing is so bloody fast compared to four wheels. Problems problems.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:04:26 pm by richtea »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 11:02:36 pm »
A big problem I think at the moment is unpredictable pedestians. I have even had to resort to fitting a bell to my bike.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.