Author Topic: Fitting an HID kit to a K12/1300S  (Read 17345 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Fitting an HID kit to a K12/1300S
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 11:22:21 pm »
I bought mine off ebay from Hong Kong and less than £20. Can't fault them.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 11:18:41 am »
You may be right; longevity is the main issue. The guys in Bradford or wherever are 'here' and can be got at by phone if you get an issue, less easy if you are trying to moan in Cantonese, unless it is yet another of your hidden talents Tom  8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 03:20:25 pm »
Probably all made in the same factory in China.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 03:21:26 pm »
Thanks guys. £20 ain't too much of a lesson learned if quality is an issue. As Brian points out, keep your original bulb with ya
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 01:00:00 am »
Probably all made in the same factory in China.

I doubt it; there is tremendous competition in China with factories doing Chinese copies of their competitors Chinese copies of the copies the original Chinese made of the Bosch units.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 09:39:33 pm »
FYI I went same shop as Brian.

I also managed to keep a bulb on the bike, under the seat!  I know it sounds crazy as there's no space under the seat!  I put the bulb in the HID bulb case thing and squashed it down the side of the alarm box thing.  It cracks the bulb case but holds securely and means I avoid unscrewing anything to get at it.  Yay.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 11:11:32 pm »
I just wrap things in kitchen paper and stuff it in the same place, works for me  8)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 07:44:18 pm »
Question: Are the headlights monitored by canbus? If so rather than get the adapters to con the system, can GS911 code out the need to check them?

I used NCS Expert on my 5 series to code things (helps to speak German or use Google translate)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 08:40:11 pm »
If you mean does the canbus throw a hissy fit if you fit different bulbs/HID/LED then no, it doesn't. If you mean does it monitor the headlights for blown bulbs, then yes it does.

No need for any jiggery pokery!

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 08:43:24 am »
Thank you for dumbing it down to my level  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2016, 09:53:17 am »
Good day gentlehumans,

I thought I'd keep this thread going as perhaps it's relevant or might be useful if/when I find a fix:

Last night and now this morning my HID above has been lighting up the "LAMPF" on the dash and being mostly unlit.  I noticed that it occasionally flickered to life, which actually made the ride more stressful!

I had a quick glance and fiddle with the wiring when I got to my destination this morning but couldn't see anything obvious.  Unfortunately the destination is BMW as they're looking at the low MPGs today.  So when I pick it up I might have to shove the old one (that I luckily stowed!) back in.

Thoughts?  Mine are:
1. Loose wire
2. The Igniter?

Matt

p.s. courtesy bike F800GT. 
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 01:29:52 pm »
13 have a decent canbus much more sensible than 12 bikes. My guess is the ballast of the HID unit.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 12:14:28 pm »
Give em a call, they are in Bradford or somewhere equally foreign so you might need Google translate for them too!

howlindawg

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2017, 10:02:47 pm »
I finally got around to fitting the HID dipped beam to my K13.
I was wondering where to fit the ballast when I found this post and decided to squeeze it into the headlight shell.
Seems like a nice neat fit so thanks for that tip!

Has anyone replaced all three lamps with HID and if so did all three ballast units fit in?

I also fitted a Nautilus air horn so now I should be seen and heard for my trip to Wales later this week.

Meep Meep!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2017, 12:07:44 am »
The dipped beam is on all the time which makes it suitable for conversion to HID.

The two high beam bulbs are only on when high beam is selected. This is not good practise for HID which should be switched on and left on rather than constant on and off.

I fitted two Philips X-treme Vision +130% high output halogen bulbs to high beam.