Author Topic: The Unsolvable Problem!  (Read 85481 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: The Unsolvable Problem!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 05:04:33 pm »
Hall sensor?
Embrace the wind.

Offline swallowtailjack

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akro Can, bits of carbon, Rexxer Map
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 08:59:01 am »
Ok, here is the update:

No update!

after a couple calls to Vines with no call-back I had a reply from BMW Nice which was disheartening. They said 'BMW have told us to reset the computers on the bike' i said it has already been done...which their only response to was 'Would you like to make another appointment?'
So, i have made a new appointment, i am going to translate the very concise list of ideas into french and bring it with me, then ask them to check them out, starting with the ignition coils. I will try to avoid them reprogramming the whole thing (again) as it means i would (i assume) need to get the ECU flashed (again), which is a pain!
either way, another thing i notice (so, sort of an update) is when i start the bike from cold (as in not started in couple days) the initial exhaust note is that of gravel being chewed up for about 3-5 seconds, then it suddenly smooths out. it used to be that obviously it would have a loud startup which would then smooth out, now it is like starting a tractor for 5 seconds or so then smooths into nice note. the fact that this is happening makes me think something is failing slowly and getting worse, the stalling is intermittent but as it is doing this now i think whatever is causing the stalling is getting weaker.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 09:19:17 am »
That noise on start up might be the cam chain.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 09:28:12 am »
From what i read this time they will find it for sure.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 10:49:54 am »
I would point them at the cam-chain tensioner! (I can't believe I am telling a customer where to point a dealer!)

The gravel on start up is the chain thrashing and the ignition not being in synch with the compression (cos the cams and the cranckshaft sre not 'tied' tightly together).

It disappears as soon as the oil pressure builds up, fills the tensioner with pressurised oil and tensions the chain correctly.

Brian (who isn't saying this is the cause of the original problem but it sounds like the cause of the gravel)

PS If your bike lives on its side-stand without being run for a couple of weeks at a time, then this make the cam-chain thing worse. To test this, leave it on the centre stand or paddock stand if you have one and-or start it every couple of days to keep the oil up.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:52:21 am by Phmode »

Offline swallowtailjack

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akro Can, bits of carbon, Rexxer Map
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 11:08:33 am »
thank you everyone! You have all been very helpful and insightful, hoping they can just get this lovely machine up and running with no more issues!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 11:10:47 am »
I have heard good things about this
http://ape-store.com/shopsite/page42.html

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
I almost bought one when my dealer said I had to pay to have the new tensioner fitted. In the end I didn't cos with only 18,000 miles on the clock I didn't want any come-back if the motor exploded.

If my tensioner seals go, I will definitely fit one of these.

Brian (who loves simple solutions to simple problems)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 01:37:58 pm »
I'm with you there Brian I think I will do the same when the seals go again.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 01:42:30 pm »
And I thought all K bikes are now equip t with the cam  chain protector. At list they are here, and BMW had issued a notice requesting this update for all K bikes terminated and of 2014.
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 02:00:45 pm »
Yes Costas I think we all have the jump guard but the cam tensioner still goes kaput from time to time.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »
We probably all have the jump-guard and new tensioner Costas, but there are still rattles on start-up if the oil seeps away from the tensioner and it is one of the symptoms of the seals going in the new-style tensioner.

Brian (who just loves sticking-plaster solutions)

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 08:23:12 am »
Rattles in start up, IMHO are always symptoms of a bad battery.
The new tensioners are a better design and all should have those installed.
Don't know about the after market promising a lot tensioners, lets wait and see about them, we should not forget the brands that were making for YAMAHA were forced to stop manufacturing them as they were causing more problems than they were curing.
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 08:38:54 am »
Rattles on start up it's the cam chain tensioner alright the problem being BMW's R+D is on going they changed the tensioner which was fine but then they changed the oil spec from 10 to 5 so the tensioner doesn't hold it so good mine is nowhere near as bad as it used to be but on occasion has it's moments  :(

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 08:46:05 am »
Oil change from 10 to 5 was aiming to solve the late K13 engines consuming oil, with no significant result I may add.
New 30rd edition and HP models appear to treat their oil better though.
Embrace the wind.