Author Topic: Wrinklies Chasing the Sun 4, 4th - 6th June 2018  (Read 38197 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Wrinklies Chasing the Sun 4, 4th - 6th June 2018
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2018, 02:48:48 pm »
Surely that would be less knee bend  ???

Correct. More room.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2018, 03:09:35 pm »
with my limited-power version, below 8000 rpm, you are being pulled harder and harder by the steering wheel with the rpms increasing, just like with the full-power version. But above 8000 rpm, the limited-power version's steering wheel stops pulling ever harder, whereas the full-power version keeps pulling you harder and harder (until you have to upshift, or until you chicken out and release the throttle, whichever comes first). It's this phenomenon which makes me upshift (and downshift) more frequently than (I think) most of you do. At that same time, I also make better use of the (still massively available) torque of the engine.
Sorry but can't make sense of what you are saying.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2018, 03:11:47 pm »
What's your Flemish like Tom?  ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2018, 03:20:48 pm »
with my limited-power version, below 8000 rpm, you are being pulled harder and harder by the steering wheel with the rpms increasing, just like with the full-power version. But above 8000 rpm, the limited-power version's steering wheel stops pulling ever harder, whereas the full-power version keeps pulling you harder and harder (until you have to upshift, or until you chicken out and release the throttle, whichever comes first). It's this phenomenon which makes me upshift (and downshift) more frequently than (I think) most of you do. At that same time, I also make better use of the (still massively available) torque of the engine.
Sorry but can't make sense of what you are saying.

steering wheel = handlebars.

I think Philippe's point is that the power doesn't increase above 8000 on the power-limited Euro version, so there's no point hanging on for it - just change gear, and get back into the usable rev range.

Note that he had no trouble keeping up with us, though. Up to 8k is still pokey enough.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2018, 05:59:15 pm »

I would already have trouble explaining this in Dutch, so I hope that explanation in English isn't more confusing than convincing...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2018, 06:21:11 pm »
I think we full power riders get a much easier time of it and the shift assist is making us all big softies.. ;D

The K1300S is the biggest, baddest, virtually twist'n'go bike out there.

Heaven knows what the up and down shift assist is doing to its riders...I think I might stall at the lights when I forget to pull the clutch  ;D

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2018, 11:37:22 pm »
Should be good but isn't. I was born in Antwerp and my mother is Flemish.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2018, 07:55:57 am »

Wel dan kan ik voor één keer een uitzondering maken, en het in 't Nederlands zeggen : "beneden de 8000 tpm gebruik ik het massaal aanwezige koppel, boven de 8000 tpm is het meeste vet van de soep"
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2018, 08:21:47 am »

Wel dan kan ik voor één keer een uitzondering maken, en het in 't Nederlands zeggen : "beneden de 8000 tpm gebruik ik het massaal aanwezige koppel, boven de 8000 tpm is het meeste vet van de soep"

Excellent - putting the Euro into EuroKClub!

And for fun, the Google translation is amusing:
Well then I can make an exception for once, and say it in Dutch: "below 8000 rpm I use the flock of torque, above 8000 rpm is the most fat of the soup"

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2018, 08:44:02 am »
I couldn't have said it better  :D

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2018, 09:27:12 am »
Until next year.
This trip is now officially the trade mark of this forum .
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2018, 07:49:19 pm »
Astounded at the lack of traffic

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2018, 08:19:22 pm »
I pick good roads  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2018, 09:23:51 pm »
Astounded at the lack of traffic

It's true - a good pick of roads by Rae.

It did get a little more crowded towards the end of the last day, but the vast majority of both days was pretty empty.

V enjoyable.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2018, 10:49:50 pm »
The bane of all the traffic was the 'tractor'.

Now, 'tractor' used to mean something smaller than a Commer Cob that could, at a push, achieve on the road, ooo, let's see, 15mph.

Nowadays, 'tractor' means something slightly larger than Oxforshire doing something in the region of 50mph and bouncing, on its balloon tyres, from kerb to kerb.

Overtaking for the average car would be easy, but driven by the average driver, this becomes impossible. So, the Wrinklies caravan heaves to at the end of a mile long queue of Mrs and Mr Slow going, well, slow.

By the time that Rae was in the bar, showered and changed and well into his fourth Lager, I was still trying to pick tines out of my fairing and wondering how the hell we came to be this congested  :)