Author Topic: The Early Years. Japanese (and some Italian)  (Read 2275 times)

howlindawg

The Early Years. Japanese (and some Italian)
« on: March 04, 2016, 02:28:21 pm »
Sitting  down to write this has reminded me that I have a load of old bike pics that I really should get around to scanning.
I'll run with what I have for the moment and will add pics as I scan them.

After spending my college years running (and regularly rebuilding) a Suzuki GT 200 X5 I eventually started earning a decent wage and decided I'd had enough of aging two strokes.

I needed something more substantial, something more practical, something more reliable.
Something like...

1979-Guzzi-V50-II
by Martin Fay, on Flickr

It was tired and tatty when I bought it having been badly resprayed orange at some point. After a few months of electrical gremlins and bits falling off I bit the bullet, bought a genuine Guzzi workshop manual and stripped it apart. The frame and and cycle parts were powder coated black. The bodywork was resprayed (by me) in LeMans style red with black stripe, the engine and gearbox were stripped, cleaned and rebuilt with new seals and gaskets. The wiring was properly sorted. Hagon Shocks, BT45 tyres, Goodridge brake lines, fork brace, stainless exhaust with gattling gun silencers all depleted my wallet. The rotten old seat was replaced with a rock hard NOS seat from a mark III which I was told was the last one available. (my cat plucked holes in it within a week - oh how I laughed!)

After all this work it looked great, sounded even better and was utterly reliable.
It was also physically tiny.
Solo use was fine but two up with throwovers was cramped.
So I resigned myself to the only sane course of action open to a young male.

I needed a second bike!

My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) had also tired of two strokes so we did a deal for a pair of matching 1995 Kawasaki GPX250 Ninjas (No pics for now). These could manage 100MPH, 80MPG, were surprisingly comfortable and could easily manage touring/camping duties with
throwover panniers and magnetic tank bags. Unfortunately they were plagued with problems and the importers were the pits with supporting warranty issues and I haven't bought another Kawasaki since.

Next up came a 1997 Suzuki Bandit 600.

Bandit-600
by Martin Fay, on Flickr

This got treated to a Renegade exhaust, K&N filter, Dynojet stage-3 kit, Goodridge hoses, EBC HH pads.
This was daily commuter, two up tourer, track day tool and bike rally regular.
I kept it for a year and sold it with 18K miles on the clock. I can honestly say that I enjoyed every one of those miles but the Horsepower bug had bitten deep.

So the Bandit was sold and this appeared... A 1997 TL1000S.

TL1000S
by Martin Fay, on Flickr

My wife hated it!
This was again treated to a Renegade exhaust, K&N filter, braided hoses, HH pads.
I never did let Suzuki fit the detuned CDI so it was just a bit of a beast.
It also got treated to a Hyperpro steering damper which made the handling a tad more predictable.
This was astounding on the track, impractical for touring and an instrument of torture around town.
It averaged 18MPG in everyday use and would chew up rear tyres in less than 1000 miles.
It was great fun but it had to go when the realities of buying our own home came on the horizon.

To Be Continued...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:42:32 pm by howlindawg »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: The Early Years. Japanese (and some Italian)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »
Nice collection, red all red
The last one had_s a superrb engine block.
Embrace the wind.

howlindawg

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 03:22:35 pm »
As it happens I'm not particularly fond of Red bikes although you'd be forgiven for thinking it was my favorite colour.

And yes, the original TL1000S motor was a stunner.
You only had to think about opening the throttle and it would stand up on the back wheel.
I think they used petrol to cool the pistons though judging by the rate it consumed superplus. :)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 04:27:29 pm »
Great looking set of bikes there. In relation to the TL I have a new DL 1000 and the basis for its engine is the same engine as on your earlier bike. However it has been modernised with Twin Spark plug heads and lighter  running gear. The engine is a peach with loads of smooth grunt. Bikers that like a top end rush complain but for me that is an irelevance  as by the time you hit 8000 rpm in top you are tramming along. Overtakes and fast progress is all achieved lower down the rev range, a superb bike and bargain to boot. It handles superbly and lovely set of stoppers and it is reliable.

JS
JS