Author Topic: Radiator Cleaning  (Read 7842 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Radiator Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2022, 09:42:55 am »
I had the over heating issue last summer. I'd always taken the time to run water through the radiator when washing but it still got clogged up.

I took the time to run water through it for about 30 minutes then used a large can of brake and clutch cleaner and sprayed the while lot through from both sides. I then gave it another rinse and loads more crud was dislodged.

Been fine ever since, even commuting through the recent warm spell so worth a go if yours is struggling. Definitely cheaper than a new radiator and didn't have to take it off and faff about with vacuum refilling the coolant

You can delay the inevitable with regular and careful cleaning but if you ride in the wet and/or in winter then the inevitable is ... inevitable!   :(
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2022, 10:51:39 am »
Well, one slight positive aspect of the recent, almost unbearable hot weather, is that there was way less crud thrown down the roads last winter because we never had the usual long cold and wet spells.

Global warming may yet kill off the human race but one or two of our K's may yet outlive us all complete with fully functioning cooling systems  8)

Offline MrAliT

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 k1300s
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2022, 06:26:18 pm »
I had the over heating issue last summer. I'd always taken the time to run water through the radiator when washing but it still got clogged up.

I took the time to run water through it for about 30 minutes then used a large can of brake and clutch cleaner and sprayed the while lot through from both sides. I then gave it another rinse and loads more crud was dislodged.

Been fine ever since, even commuting through the recent warm spell so worth a go if yours is struggling. Definitely cheaper than a new radiator and didn't have to take it off and faff about with vacuum refilling the coolant

You can delay the inevitable with regular and careful cleaning but if you ride in the wet and/or in winter then the inevitable is ... inevitable!   :(

I'm doing..... BOTH! I'm sure I'll end up replacing it at some point but I'm not going to not ride it. Even a new radiator for a 12 year old bike is cheaper than a winter hack😁

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2022, 08:53:39 pm »
2007 K1200 R Sport 57000 miles, original rad. I spray it with spirit vinegar and leave it to soak for half an hour, then wash and rinse.
Watchin you Focker

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2022, 07:15:07 pm »
Very impressed with the simple Green help and service.
Simple Green Aviation Extreme arrived Saturday.
Radiator cleaned and test ridden today. I tried to ride similar lanes as when it got the six bars and it was also the same ambient temperature of 22.5c.
Result stayed at 3 bars when moving in clear air and no more than 4 bars in traffic and some high hedged lanes in 3rd at about 40mph but came down to 3 bars when moving freely on more open road.
I dampened the rad with a water spray bottle and brushed the neat solution onto the fins and then  50/50 mix from the foamer bottle ( glad I bought it) and also brushed that in, had a cuppa and washed with my little gizzmo of squashed copper central heating pipe with an 8th inch hole in it and attached it to my garden hose. This allows you to get behind the rad and run the single jet along the rows of fins.
Do the back first of course. I was amazed at the grit thrown onto my front mudguard.
All in all a success I think. Link attached.
https://simplegreen.co.uk/index.php/buy-simple-green-household-products-uk/extreme-aviation-1l
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 09:04:00 am »
Sounds like you're onto a winner there Ron, well done.  :winkthumbs:

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 09:36:21 am »
I also cleaned the one I replaced and it looks a lot better'
Is there any way of testing a rad away from the bike I wonder?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 10:18:28 am »
I think off the bike you can only pressure test it.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2022, 12:16:14 pm »
I also cleaned the one I replaced and it looks a lot better'
Is there any way of testing a rad away from the bike I wonder?
Hold it up to the light and see if it is blocked.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Online Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2022, 12:18:53 am »
Cleaned my 30,000 mile radiator today. Lots of soaking with soap and degreaser spray, hosed out from the back with my bent copper pipe. Not a bad result, 3 bars for about 5 miles then settled on 4 bars in 25C ambient. The fan still came on in slow town centre traffic but the temperature never reached the high normal mark.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2022, 08:32:08 am »
As per the entry in the "Buying a K1300 - FAQ" section ...

I was told by my BMW dealer that the way to test the radiator condition was to allow the bike to idle when hot to the point the fan cames on. If the radiator is in good condition. the fan should switch back off within 30 seconds to a minute. Longer than that was a warning of issues to come and longer than 2 minutes was a sign of imminent doom.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2022, 08:41:44 am »
Nice to have some indicator of the rad going wrong before overheating on the road.
Sounds like good info, thanks David.

Online Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2022, 10:32:34 am »
That test presumably depends on ambient temperature. My experience is the fan stays on longer when the ambient temp is high.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2022, 11:14:43 am »
I'm sure you'll need to make some allowance for ambient temperature but given the test is carried out in the workshop at the BMW dealers, I suggest there shouldn't be much difference for "normal" UK days.

Offline RSV_Ecosse

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Helibars, lMRA Xcreen, Puig carbon hugger, Cyclops LED, S1000 turn signals, clear lenses, centrestand, RAM mount satnav, carbon parts
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2022, 08:04:30 pm »
I just cut to the chase and grabbed a new one. Had it fitted last week. Bike was running to 4 - 5 bars on the temp gauge and fans cutting in constantly with the previous clogged up rad, now she runs at three bars solid all day. Expensive but worthwhile investment  8)