Author Topic: Pilot Road 5  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Pilot Road 5
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 12:44:45 pm »
My (now ex) tyre guy reckons the PR's suit some bikes more than others and some are quite 'dangerous'. He put the quotes round the word when he described them. He swore by the 3's, was less keen on the 4's and I have no idea what he rides.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 07:58:25 pm »
PR3 best in wet, a softer ride, the JHS mechanic commented on how soft they were compared to the Roadtecs he'd just put on
GT better in dry for faster harder riding, good in wet but not as good as pr3,
Roadtec 01 very good on dry when riding briskly can feel them gripping the road like you can feel the PR3 doing in the wet, but a harder stiffer ride and not as good as either of above in wet

All fivers gratefully accepted, you've probably got until January or so to choose and contribute before I need the next set as I'm down to about 400 or so miles a week now.

So just to finish that off
PR4 not as good in the wet as PR3, a stiffer harder ride, lasted a bit longer. Prefer the feel of the PR3.
So to date for me:
Best winter tyre: Michelin PR3
Best summer tyre: Pirelli Angel

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 09:56:14 pm »
Which is great for those of you who go through rubber so fast you get to choose tyres by the season, month and even week....

For me the best tyre for winter, spring, summer, autumn, winter, spring and summer has been PR4, cos that is what I have had on...🙄

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 08:30:10 am »
How on earth do you manage to make a set of tyres last so long.
Metzeler 05 Roadtec fitted to 16 Plate K1300S and covered 4550miles. Almost to wear line on front tyre and rear only lasted 3500 miles.

Although to be honest rear tyre was so squared off when I bought bike at 2450 miles i had no real option. Will see how long I get out of this one (puncture already as usual).

Not sure what to change to? Angel GT or Pilot 4s.
Mark Barbour

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 10:39:28 am »
PR3/4's regularly give over 7,000 miles ridden reasonably hard.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 10:55:25 am »
I track the mileage of my tyres to enable the forecasting of replacements to ensure no interruption to my 150 mile per day commute. I never get less than 7000 miles from a pair of PR4s and they're often replaced with about 1000 miles left (before becoming illegal). (Roadtech 01s did the same)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 01:18:01 pm »
...and for those that don't know him, David is not a 'cruiser'  8)

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 01:22:31 pm »
Maybe it is the amount of punctures i get or the roads up here and all year riding???.
Next set of tyres will be well documented to see whats happening and ensure correct pressures in both.
Mark Barbour

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 01:45:48 pm »
Do you by any chance follow the advanced riding and police technique of riding in the near-side gutter on the approach to right handers; cos that is where gravity ably assisted by my car, and the other gazillion on the UK roads, deposits the debris, including doubtless scores of Nerg nail and his relatives.

Brian (who rarely goes any closer to the nearside verge than the nearside car tyre track and has never, ever had a....won't even think it, let alone say it... 🤞)

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 02:41:56 pm »
To be honest over the last few months I have looked at this and same as yourself i tend to stay within car tracks and keep away from the side of the road. Loads of road works on daily commute with shuttering and all sorts while the build Aberdeen by pass route.
Mark Barbour

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »

Not sure what to change to? Angel GT or Pilot 4s.

Angels are slightly less than figures I see for Mich by 0.5k - around 7k to 7.5k miles with a little spare tread.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 07:38:13 pm »
These are the tyres I have used to date:

PR3 10980 but well bald / 9338 still tread but a funny shape / 7623 / 2800 and counting
PR4 11338 and bald / PR4 GT rear 7623
Roadtec01 5522 but handling gone off
Angel GT 6259 but handling gone off

The 9-10-11k mileages above was commuting at motorway speeds on A30/A303/M3 to London and little else. The lower figures are commuting along the A39 which is nice and twisty with plenty of acceleration and braking

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 09:01:28 pm »
It's interesting reading these tyre experiences! It seems to vary massively between us all. For instance I've found the Metzelers to keep decent handling all the way through. Although I can't flipping remember quite how many miles I got from the last set (yeah I forgot this is set number two). Although I remember it was more than for the last few PR4s, which I always felt felt squared after 2-3k and I'd only get 5-6k from a rear.

But then I've fallen into riding like a slow corner-coach and flying out the other straight-side.

And also it makes me wish i'd kept recording in detail my tyre mileage. I just have subjective memories. And prosecco.

Anyway now I've got a brum brum car again and need to buy an Optimate. So... yeah.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022