Author Topic: (Wrinklies) Chasing the Sun!  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
(Wrinklies) Chasing the Sun!
« on: June 04, 2015, 09:20:03 pm »
Not at home long enough to do a full ride-out report before heading off to the sunny south (Fareham) to re-roof a garage; some folks do lead exciting lives!

So, here, in no particular order, are some thoughts about the excellent and more than well-attended ride-out:

Four of us had planned to meet at the Premier Inn in Lowestoft and so Rae and Simon (on his V-Strom cos he doesn't trust his dealer to fit a flange) rode down together while I battled up manfully from Bury St. Edmunds without the aid of a satnav, a map nor anything recognisable as a sense of direction! Mike W wheeled his ginormous R1200 RT out of his garage and was at Lowestoft already!

Rae did an excellent job of organising the run, despite stealing the route from someone called Pete who owns two sheds!

Rae's idea of having a pint seems to involve about 6 pints!

Simon (JS) gets really giggly after about 3 pints!

06:45 is a god-awful time to start riding a bike; but that is what the four us did on Tuesday morning!

To echo Rae's sentiments, if the Eastern-most road in the US was the start point for a 'Chasing the Sun' run, it would be called Sunrise Boulevard and NOT Gas Works Road!

Mike's R1200RT is about as wide as a wide thing on wide day and riding behind Mike meant tail end Charlie here couldn't see where he, nor anyone else, was going!

Red Lodge do a very nice big breakfast thank you very much!

TomL rode up from the deepest depths of Herfordshire to a) join us for a thrash across country and b) to deliver my missing Euro millions! Thanks very much sir; it is a gentleman that you are!

Willoughby cafe is a most forgetful place; what was I saying?

Dom's Bike Stop was closed! It has now been closed every time I have been there!

There were a load of idiots standing around in the mist outside Dom's closed Bike Stop! These included, but are not limited to Timbox, Bobtail and his Secret Switch friend Johhnyboy, Philip who had ridden down from Crewe and probably others I have ignored, insulted and forgotten.

So, off to the American diner in Leominster for breakfast/lunch/dinner as various folks fancies took them and then it was off to sunny Aberystwyth. Tim had to leave to get back to work (he says) and Tom called it quits to head off back south, so we now numbered 6; Rae, Simon, Mike, Bob, John and me.

Mike and I ended up marooned behind a tractor hauling hay bales at 0mph through town and up hill and down dale with an everlasting stream of oncoming traffic and solid while lines and could actually have got off and walked faster. When we eventually caught up with the waiting advance party we set off with gusto to get across Wales tout suite before the sun came out.

My neck is still aching from the battering I took from the vicious winds coming in off the Atlantic for most of the day on Tuesday!

We missed out the stop at Devil's Bridge and it wasn't till we were almost at Aber that the sun came out with a vengeance and I was way overdressed in my winter gear.

Tight left handers with gravel, mud and running water cascading across the surface are not nice, not nice at all!

We thought the wind had been bad as it blustered across the country but at the 'T' junction on the sea front in Aberystwith it hit us like a steam train. Rae was struggling to hold his bike up and turn right with the wind blatting from his left. Mike was wobbling a little, but further back in the train, I couldn't see what the problem was. But as we all moved off one at a time, we each took our turn to do battle with the elephants thundering into us along the promenade; surreal and weird and bloody dangerous if you ask me.

From Leominster, I had been running as 'tail end Charlie' with who I thought was John behind me(!), but when we pulled into the hotel car park, Bob announced that we had lost John. 'No we haven't, he's there!' quoth I whilst pointing at John parking his bike up at the end of the line.

You can imagine my shock when John took his helmet off and immediately turned into Philip, who I didn't realise was riding to Aber with us from Leominster and so, Bob was quite right, we had indeed lost John.

At this point I was gobsmacked to discover that Philip wasn't staying the night at Aber but was doing a rapid about face and heading back to Crewe there and then. One hopes he made it back OK and it was lovely to meet another new face even if it was for such a short while.

John turned up about 1/2 hour later having slunk off to find petrol without telling anyone and is now officially banned! Forever!

We all told tall tales long into the night with every one of us complaining that we were 'all over the road' with the wind, whilst everyone also told the one in front that they were 'absolutely planted'; just goes to show.

On Wednesday morning, everyone scattered to the four winds, even though they weren't blowing by then, and I headed off back to England, assuming I could find my way with no one to follow.

The A44 is probably my favourite road in the UK!

It is bloody annoying when your inner sun visor keep flopping down all by itself; so that'll be another �30 for a new Schuberth mechanism then!

I assume the plod who was 'lasering' me from the westbound on-ramp of J15 of the M4 as I blatted eastwards on the opposite carriageway was having a laugh; either that or he is still trying to catch me. Good luck with that one then!

I got home at 3pm and no visits from the law yet!

I have a new sat nav and lovely new Sena 20S all synched and talking to each other so now I just need to drill a couple of holes in the side of my helmet.....

Brian (who had a lovely couple of days with some really good riders, drinkers, liars, cheats and thieves and can't wait for another excuse..... 8) )
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 11:24:20 am by raesewell »

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
Re: (Wrinklies) Chasing the Sun!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:20:08 pm »
A great summary Brian of a great couple of days, agree with all the sentiments and glad you got home safe and well.It was good to put a face to the etchings but why did you have to have the face of one of my favourite uncles (by the way he was a brilliant artist, did Royal commissions and taught art to none other than old slow hands (Eric Clapton) apart from the fact he was the only gay in Hampton Court I will not hold that against you honest !

It would be nice for the Wrinklies to ride again !

JS
JS

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 12:32:06 am »
 ;D

Brian (who'll come with his other face on next time)

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:40:02 am »
Yeah, very good report mate. We probably passed closish to each other again on Wednesday as I was in and around Pontrilas (Betwixt Hereford and Abergavenny). So whats with this Doms Bike stop? I think I commented that I didnt know it was there, I now know why, has anybody been there when its open or is it just a big trick to get a load of bikers standing around on a corner.

One thing I learned on Tuesday is that its probably best not to have BMW Vario panniers in  Expanded mode on windy days, brings a whole new meaning to "Counter-steering"
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Mike W

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR1300AE (2017)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 07:07:07 am »
A very good write up Brian which details the trip very well which I thoroughly enjoyed. I too rode back East on the A44 and as you say what a fantastic biking road. Good to hear you arrived home safe and hope the bikes brake problem is diagnosed and sorted soon without too much pain to the wallet.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 09:10:23 am »
Excellent report Brian award yourself the E W gold star of prose! BUT where are the pics I always thought that if there are no pics then it didn't/couldn't have happened. Hey but no worries I have a pic of Johnnysecretswitchboy in bed (or it might be Philip no it can't 'cos he went home) so I'm sure you'll all be waiting with baited breath to have an ogle at Monsieur SW reclining on his bed, what! :-[

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:28 am »
I won't ask why, nor where nor even how!

Pictures of three EKC'ers outside a wet and windy Premier Inn at 6:45 am doesn't make a story and nor does it mean it happened.

Brian (who stayed home in bed all day and had Mr. Parry's avatar deputise for him in the group shot  8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:50:24 am by Phmode »

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 09:59:33 am »
I won't ask why, nor where nor even how!

Pictures of three EKC'ers outside a wet and windy Premier Inn at 6:45 am doesn't make a story and nor does it mean it happened.

Brian (who stayed home in bed all day and had Mr. Parry's avatar deputise for him in the group shot  8)

1. Ah, but you are intrigued aren't you!
2. Yes it does!
3. How did Mr Parry get into this story he wasn't there (or was he under the disguise of Philip)

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 11:01:26 am »
Look at his avatar/photo and then look at that picture of me at Leominster!

Brian (who says if 2) is true, then it really did never happen)