Author Topic: Greece OR Bust!  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Greece OR Bust!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 06:57:08 pm »
Day 12! Sunday 15th September

Oh boy, yet one more hot, dry and sunny day! I hope this lasts for the rest of my time in the Alps as we have not had to use the waterproofs since we left home.

The route for today was north on the A22 to the SS49 heading East to Lienz and then on East on the B100 and the B107 up toward Heiligenblut on the Grossglockner for a spot of lunch; well OK, a coffee and huge wodge of chocolate cake.

From the Grossglockner it was to be North to Salzach then left on the B168 to Mittersill and left onto B108 back to Lienz and then back to Bolzano.

Although the weather was hot and sunny the traffic was tricky until I got to Lienz; most of it was going the other way but it made for a not very enjoyable ride.

From Lienz however it was sheer bliss as I climbed from 700m up to the 1,300 metre level at Heiligenblut and with the chocolate cake nestling inside it was time for the climb up to the highest point at 2,500 metres.

This is the start of The Grossglockner High Alpine Road proper in Heiligenblut; doesn't look much from here does it?

But what a climb it is.

You don't get far before you have to stop and pay the toll of 19 Euros but once you have managed to forget about the cost, the road just takes over your mind. Fast sweepers lead into open hairpins and more fast sweepers with good fast sections letting the bike have its head.

Of course, it is easy to get carried away and forget about the drops on one side or the other as you snake your way up the mountain, but unlike lots of challenging roads, most of the bends are open with good views across to the exit so your confidence builds as you sweep from one bend to the next and the next and then suddenly some muppet has put a tighter hairpin in there and you have to work to get your rhythm back.

The Grossglockner is the sort of road that the K12/13 loves with loads of excuses to use the power and even more reasons to use the grip and even with the luggage on, although not the contents, it felt like a sports bike on this road. 

Of course, it would have been very embarrassing to have any real sports bikes on the road at the same time, but my luck was in, just the odd coach and truck and apart from a few dawdling bikers the road was all mine.

There were a couple of old dodderers (probably younger than me, but way older in their minds) on ancient BMW's having a fag at the Edelweissspitze rest halt and somehow their squinty stares in return to my nod of acknowledgement told me everything I needed to be told; they were REAL bikers, riding REAL bikes, I was just captaining a starship.

Mind, they are probably still up there trying to get to the top or even to the bottom but I'm sure we all enjoyed the challenge just the same.

The view the two old dodderers were taking in from the Edelweissspitze.

Although this isn't the highest point on the road, it is the highest, easily accessible viewing point; the highest point being in a tunnel.

I assumed that the ride couldn't get any better than The Grossglockner, but then on the way back I found myself with the most fabulous road all to myself. A truly fast sweeping road ploughing along the valley floor for tens of miles of fabulous fun and with no-one else to share it with it was a case of winding it up and using both sides of the road.

It was like some silly slalom game which just went on and on and I couldn't quite work out why the road-builders had made the road so fast and twisty when they could have just made it boringly straight.

It was probably following the river but they could still have ironed it out but I'm glad they didn't.

I figured they must just have been petrol-heads like me. 

With no-one else getting in my way and having not seen a policeman all day, I saw speeds well into the hundreds for mile after mile and at one point had 125 on the clock through a thrilling series of bends that looked like someone had drizzled the tarmac along the road from a great height, the sort of bends that you just could not quite make a straight line through but which didn't really slow you down at all.

And all of this with chocolate box Swiss cottages (although they were Italian) and fields of cows and fabulous meadows flashing by on either side of you.

And then of course it was all over and the speed limits and the traffic and the villages returned and eventually the Autostrada and then that bloody spaghetti junction and then I was back at the hotel and in the shower and wondering if it had all been real.

Ah well, maybe it was all a dream, but tomorrow was going to be Stelvio and I had this feeling that was going to be an altogether different challenge.

And so to bed....

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 07:19:20 pm »
Day 13! Monday 16th September

So, today is Stelvio and with full luggage on, unlike Grossglockner yesterday.

The original Greece OR Bust plan was to do the Stelvio from South to North meaning that the majority of the hairpins would be downhill, but I decided that I wanted to do it the 'hard' way, i.e. from North to South.

Now, when I say 'hard', it all depends on what you prefer. There are 60 hairpins on the Stelvio, each with a numbered 'milestone' to show your progress as you stagger up or rush down and because I love hairpins the chance to do 48 of them upwards, leaving a mere 12 for the downhill rush was too good to miss.

The seventy odd kilometers to the top end of Stelvio were a real pain with three (go on, count them!) sets of roadworks stopping the traffic for about half an hour in total and the places they were 'line-painting' and resurfacing were all in places that made overtaking and filtering all but impossible and by the time I made it to the northern end I was gasping for a coffee.

I stopped at the Hotel Posta Cervo on the junction but as I walked back to the entrance it started to rain. Coffee or waterproofs?

And so, with the waterproof jacket and gloves on and having foregone the coffee, I headed South up the northern approach slopes which are deceptively arrow straight and flat, but this is just to lull you into a false sense of security with the usual fields of cows and pretty little houses and I did that really stupid thing of interrogating my Garmin brick just to make sure it hadn't re-routed me along some boring bit of road when I was dozing in the roadworks queues.

Nope, there were the hairpins, and OH MY GOD! THERE IS THE FIRST HAIRPIN!

A mad stamping down the gearbox got me round the right-hander and woke me up in time for the left-hander that followed fast on it's heels and now I was pumped up and in 'fight' mode.

And then, nothing!

Nothing for about a kilometer until the next pair of not-quite-so-tight right-left turns.

OK! I'm ready, bring it on; but no, nothing for another few hundred metres and then another right-left with nothing following it for another few hundred metres and then, suddenly (daft thing so say seeing as I had been 'ready' for the things for ages) they were on me, half a dozen tight little hairpins in a 'staircase' followed by the, by now expected, 'rest run' for a few hundred metres.

And so it went on, on and on, a bloody Renault Scenic chasing me up the stairs, getting hopelessly lost on the meagre straights but snapping annoyingly at my number plate on the turns. He wasn't in any hurry to overtake, he just wanted to show his girlfriend how good he was by keeping up with 'a sports bike' up the climbs. If only I were in the quattro...still, it was more important to concentrate on not dropping the beast on the tight right handers than worry about him behind me.

The very thought of finding out the true meaning of a 'low-side' fall on one of the right handers where the inside line falls away alarmingly into the gutter some two feet below the bit of tarmac you are riding on, which is itself at an alarming 'positive camber' angle to the horizontal just serves to focus the mind ever more.

I admit it, I had one dab on a right hander on the way up, which jarred the old arthritic knee and served to remind me how heavy this bike is especially when fully loaded in touring mode; who'da thought two pairs of socks and knickers could weigh so much?

On the plus side I had no opposing traffic to speak of and met none on any of the turns other than a huge bus to which I deferred, waiting on the uphill section with the Renault snapping at my heels cos he couldn't see the bus coming down the hill as he tried to pass me, only to find the front of a massive alp-like structure filling his windscreen. Bus 1:Renault 0:Biker smiling superciliously inside helmet!

Of course, none of the hairpins were helped by the asthmatic spluttering of the K12 motor on the climb, the fuelling, which I think is pretty much spot on at sea-level, spitting and farting at altitude with the idle intermittently up around the 1,800 to 2,000 rpm mark. I realise that high altitude can alter the fuelling of any motor but mine seemed to suffer more than most; a combination of the PCIII and the lack of O2 sensor probably.

And then, there was the summit at The Hotel Stilferjoch. Oh, and a thousand assorted tat and hot dog stalls making the summit of the highest paved pass in the Eastern alps seem more like Blackpool sea front than the remote and barren wilderness I was expecting and hoping for.

I didn't take a picture of it, but you can see what I mean in Google Streetview which captured it perfectly.

The beast taking a breather at the top of the Stelvio.

The last bit of the climb up Stelvio from the bike park at the top...

...and the same view after the coffee and burger!

So, of the three 'Great Biking Roads' scheduled for this trip, I have now ticked off two, except of course, I still have to get down the southern slopes of Stelvio in one piece and the mist is coming down and the rain, which had mysteriously disappeared on the run in to the pass, was now threatening to return.

My thoughts return, extremely briefly I must admit, to the others who set off on this adventure and haven't had the opportunity to do the amazing Grossglockner and Stelvio passes this time around; maybe another year?

And so to the descent. Having boned up on these roads on Google prior to the trip, I knew there were 60 hairpins on Stelvio and I had done the 48 on the way up, so all I had to do was to count the dozen or so remaining and I was home and dry.

Hmm? It is always difficult to know what constitutes a hairpin.

We all know one when we come across it, down into 2nd, maybe even 1st, careful balance of bike and clutch and throttle and then a clean get-away on the exit having turned something like 150 to 180 degrees.

Seems easy to spot one to me.

So, I start to count the hairpins on the descent, dismissing a few well-rounded almost 150 degree bends as 'not man enough' to be described as hairpins.

1!

2,3,4,5!

6,7,8,9,10,11,12 (hang on a minute)13,14,15!

16,17,18,19!

20,21,22,23!

24,25!

26,27!

I assumed that the high altitude was affecting more than the bike's brain, perhaps it was getting to mine as well!

Count fingers and toes. Nope, I make that ten of each.

Count all twenty! Yup! I can definitely count to 20.

Now I am well confused. (I have just been back to Wikipedia and Google to study the Stelvio and they both claim there are only 60 hairpins on the pass.

All the petrol-head sites repeat this claim of 60 in total and 48 on the North face.

I have just counted the hairpins on Google Maps and there are definitely 48 up on the North face and there are most definitely 27 going down on the South face into Bormio.

What the hell is going on here? Have none of these folks been to Stelvio?

Have none of them counted the hairpins?

Am I the only anorak in town?

Does anyone care?)

Anyways, I didn't ride straight into space on the 13th, leftt-hand hairpin, even I can spot one coming after all this practice and the 'Swiss chalet' was a bit of a giveaway!

The mysterious 13th hairpin on the southern side of Stelvio (courtesy of Streetview and with 14 more to come!).

Regardless of numbers, the drop off the Stelvio was survived and is remarkably quick and enjoyable, the road rushing along the valley in great leaps and bounds toward Tirano where some sort of normality returns. For a while at least.

There were a number of deviations on this route caused by road closures and re-building works and so when I crossed into Switzerland and started to climb up over the Bernina Pass toward St Moritz I was glad to have some freedom once again, but that damn drizzle was getting to be more persistent and the road surface was as greasy as hell; this was probably the first rain since the long hot spell and water and rubber dust are not the biker's best friend!

This was a lovely scenic stretch of the route with the roads not too challenging so you could admire the scenery without riding off the end of the world.

At Samedan, the route turned North and then left onto the Albula Pass to Tiefencastel and then on toward Thusis.

This turned out to be one of the highlights of the day, with more hairpins and great challenging swoops and sweeps of roads over the mountains and with the fuel light on for the last 25 miles, things were getting interesting.

Eventually, Thusis loomed out of the murk and a quick diversion into town found the local Co-Op selling high octane fuel for both the bike and rider. Having finally come out of the tunnels on the last run into town to find the rain heavier than ever I filled the bike and my face and prepared for the long motorway run into Ohlsback for the night's stop.

As long as the bike is moving, the aerodynamics keep my legs dry in all but the heaviest of rains, but now it looked to be getting much worse and so the other folks in the filling station were treated to the sight of their lives as I did the dance of the drunken spider on the forecourt whilst trying to get my waterproof trousers on over my boots without ending up on my arse. 

As we all know, the first foot is the easiest, the difficult bit is when you have one leg in and the other foot half in and with nowhere to sit (there is never anywhere to sit) you end up hopping one-legged from one side to the other and back and forth whilst trying to retain some sense of decorum.

Suddenly, a firm hand on my right shoulder prevented me from toppling to my doom and with both feet in my trousers I could straighten up and turn round to find my saviour beaming behind me.

A wizened old German who greeted me in perfect English (don't you just hate that) and with a twinkle in his eye, he told me he remembered this struggle only too well.

It turned out he was an ex-biker and had ridden the Stelvio Pass many times.

These days, he said, as he was now 84 years old, he only used his car and a push bike for getting around on, but still managed to do the Stelvio three or four times a year; on the push bike!

'One more time this year before the snows finally close it!' he told me, 'but not for a week or two as we have snows coming again before the winter ones arrive later in the year. If you are going to do it, you should get a move on!'

He was a lot happier when I told him I had already done the pass and was on my way to Ohlsbach.

We parted as the rain started to fall in stair rods and I eyed his warm, air-conditioned car with a certain envy.

It was now onto the A13 North heading for Lake Constance for tea and cake but as the stair rods turned to broom handles I chickened out and turned onto the A3 heading West for Zurich and Basel before heading North on the A5 toward Strasbourg and the night's stop.

This interminable stretch of motorway was the ultimate torment as I realised to my horror, that in my conversations with the wizened German ex-biker I had managed to put my gloves on OVER my sleeves, rather than under, and the rain finally dribbled down to soak the insides.

I stopped for another refuel and stole some diesel gloves to put on under my sodden Knox winter gloves but with the heated grips on to try to dry the gloves and warm my pinkies, this merely served to 'pickle' my fingers inside the plastic.

Suddenly, the rain stopped and the sun came out and so I stopped at yet another truck stop to dry my hands and went happily on my way with my dry summer gloves on; until, of course, the rain returned and eventually I arrived at my hotel with hands like a dead fish and two pairs of sodden gloves.

Oh, how I wish I had managed to book into the Hotel Waldblick at Schenkenzel because, as one of the excellent family-run hotels in the Motor Bike Hotels International chain ( Welcome to the group of active biker hotel operators/Motor Bike Hotels international ) I know from experience that they too are bikers who have made this mistake and all provide full kit drying facilities for idiots like me and my gloves would have been toastie dry long before morning.

However, they had been fully booked until well into October so the Hotel Rebstock in Ohlsback it was.

It was almost 8pm when I finally got in and the restaurant was closed, but madam unlocked the garage for me to store the bike safely and pointed me in the direction of the Krone Gasthof just along the street, for supper. With one pair of my summer gloves steaming over the bedside lights (thank goodness for 40w bulbs) and with the room's hairdryer pressed into service on the winter ones and left running while I nipped to the pub, I just hoped that tomorrow would dawn fine and dry.

Having downed two litres of the excellent Krone pub's finest German beer and two of their Schnitzels with French Fries (their description, not mine) and salad, followed by an enormous chunk of chocolate cake and cream, actually I didn't care too much about tomorrow as I stumbled back to the hotel.

And so to bed.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 07:29:32 pm »
Day 14! 17th September

Well, at least the day has dawned dry and sunny, which is more than can be said for my gloves which are still damp inside and you all know how horrible that feels. Luckily I still have one set of dry summer gloves to ride in and so having wolfed down TWO whole croissants for breakfast (despite the rumours, I don't do breakfast) I load up the bike and head off to do the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse, or to you and I, the Black Forest High Street.

This is a rather legendary piece of tarmac that runs North from Freudenstadt to Baden-Baden.

It is better known to bikers by its road number B500 or Bundessstrasse 500.

I am sure I drove this road in a hire car many years ago, back in my corporate days but can't for the life of me remember anything about it which is probably a good thing otherwise the cockiness of familiarity will take over and this is the last of the 'challenges' on this adventure, so not a good day to bend anything.

I stick my winter gloves in the elastic wolf net holding my original jacket on top of the Pillion Pod in the vain hope that the wind and the sun might help dry them out, but being Gore Tex lined, the drying needs to happen from the inside out, still, it has to be worth the effort.

The ride out from Ohlsbach to join the B500 is a lovely mix of gentle urban serenity mingling with open countryside to the North of Offenburg, not quite Alpine and not quite not, that faint quaintness that you just don't see here in UK, but gradually the roads begin to climb until by Oberkirch I hit the tree line and am now in the Black Forest proper.

The road meanders on through Lautenbach and Ramsbach until the L92 to the left in Oppenau takes me ever higher via some great sweeping bends and a few very open hairpins until I am forced to stop to do up the waterproofs and don those damn soggy winter gloves. 

By this point I am wishing I had brought the flat (don't take up any room in your bags) neoprene 'lobster claw' over-mitts from Hein Gericke which are cosy, bone dry and not too restrictive. They have split fingers which allow your first two fingers to work the clutch or brake and the remaining two to stay on the throttle.

These 'sunny-summer-days-turned-wet life-savers' live in my Sport Case permanently in summer and have saved the sunny day from ending with wet pinkies many times. BUT I DIDN'T PACK THEM, DID I?

I mean, come on, when was the last time a guy who started riding when waterproofs didn't exist ever put his gloves on over his sleeves?

And so to the B500. I had intended to turn right and head down to Freudenstadt to enable me to do the full length of the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse up to Baden-Baden, but the rain was tumbling and the wind was blowing and the mist was coming up or the clouds were coming down (always difficult to tell when you are climbing) and to be honest I didn't really feel much like anything.

Of course, what I should have done was go to Freudenstadt and sit in a cafe with a mug of coffee and a lump of chocolate cake and wait for the rain to ease but in the Black Forest that could have taken forever.

So, I turned left and headed sort of North and had the weather been bone dry and the sun had been out then I can see the challenge of trying to keep up with a local on this road which has great open sweeping bends that you can see right across and others which are tree-shrouded and impossible to judge.

My time-warp journey was still going on; perhaps it was the weather, perhaps it was the time of year, but there was not a single other vehicle on this road. And then, up ahead, a couple of bikes lurk out of the mist and I feel like a true biking god as I reel them in round the next two swooping curves, only to discover they are pootling along, perfectly vertical, enjoying the views (what bloody views, I can see nothing) and with a cheery wave I am gone.

Biking God? Get real!

And then, suddenly, so suddenly it startled me, the weather changed, the sun came out, the rain stopped and the next couple of bends were wonderful.

'Billy No Mates' bike looming through the Black Forest murk!

You can see why they call it the Black Forest! Two views to the East looking out over the distant plain of the River Rhine.

The rest of the ride up to Baden-Baden was wonderful, the tarmac/concrete now dry and the grip up to keeping the fully-laden beast on track as I began to find my rhythm and warm to the journey.

I need to go back and do this road in the dry, with someone for company and the sun on my back. A day spent riding up and down this bit of road would reap great rewards, despite its 43.495 mph (70kph) speed limit.

At least the Stelvio and Grossglockner passes don't have speed limit signs every few kilometres urging you to go even slower that you are.

One upside of the miserable mist and murk was that there was not a single sign of the Polizei hiding in the bushes trying to catch me exceeding the limit which even in the wet, I have to admit to doing; on occasions!

Suddenly, my ride through the Black Forest was over and the Garmin spat me out and onto the A35 to the South and then the A4 heading East for Metz and the overnight halt at Verdun.

It would have been good to have taken the back roads but the weather was pretty awful, with gale force winds coming at me in great convoys and the occasional threat of rain, which thankfully stayed away and apart from having to dodge the homicidal Estonian truck drivers on this blast into France and the ferry ports it was largely uneventful. 

Uneventful that is until I slipped on a recently washed floor in a French service station and gave my body armour all the testing I would ever want to give it.

I survive the madness that is Athens traffic, The Grossglockner, Stelvio and the B500 in the last few days and break my neck in a French cafe!

Bloody typical!

With the rapid progress over this stretch of motorway, I could easily have made a Eurotunnel crossing this evening but I think my body was beginning to tell me something as I had this craving for some good food and wine and there certainly wouldn't be any good food in my fridge by the time I got there.

Wine a-plenty, food, certainly not!

And so it was with some relief that I pulled into what looked like a fairly soulless Hotel Prunellia in mid afternoon.

It was just starting to rain as I unpacked the bike and having had a glimpse of the menu for the restaurant I was sure glad I wasn't staying in the Hotel F1 next door.

To my delight I discovered that the room had an electric wall radiator which was actually working and with some judicious use of the desk chair I managed to get my still damp gloves arranged in a lovely warm stream of air while I plotted a meandering route toward Calais which did not involve riding on any more Autoroutes and which would allow me to see some of the battlefield memorials and cemeteries and 'Villages Detruits' from the Great War. 

These Villages Detuits, or destroyed villages, around Verdun were not really destroyed by the allied and axis artillery bombardment, they were totally obliterated, not even the outlines of their house cellars being recognisable after the battle was over.

Apparently, aerial photographs taken at the time in 1916 showed no signs of habitation whatsoever.

Although we will never know exactly where, George, the brother of Great Uncle Harry (whose grave I visited in Thessaloniki and which was the original seed of an idea for this whole adventure) was seriously wounded in the Great War somewhere in this area. Having been evacuated to one of the many hospitals along the Atlantic coast between Boulogne and Le Touquet, beyond the range of the German artillery, he eventually succumbed to his wounds and is laid to rest in the eerily beautiful cemetery at Etaples.

Now, I wouldn't say that my food and wine craving was all-encompassing, but suffice to say I was the first into the restaurant at opening time and found I was faced with an excellent, mouth-watering buffet. 

But I had come for something more substantial and decided instead on the Menu Bouquet at a meagre 28Euros; a wonderful scallop salad with asparagus tips followed by a fabulous duck breast in some sticky sauce or other with amazingly tiny roast tatties, the cheese and pud selection from the buffet on which I am proud to say I feasted for England, and all of this washed down with a commendable bottle of Beaujolais Village...

...and so to bed!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 07:42:17 pm »
And so to the last day of my 'Greece OR Bust' Odyssey!

Over supper I had received a text from Warren asking where I was and saying they had JUST got home, ELEVEN days after the water pump broke.

Don't know if any of that was a biking holiday after the repairs; doubtless time will tell!

Day 15! 18th September

What a difference a pile of dry gloves makes to one's outlook on life. Toasty-dry fingers despite the weather turning to rain according to the forecast.

Today is meant to be a meandering day as I set off North along the eastern bank of the river Meuse to see what the area looks like almost a hundred years after the mindless slaughter and total devastation of the Verdun campaigns. 

Almost immediately I stumble across a French military cemetery in Bras-sur-Meuse but the weather is too poor to take pictures so here is one from Streetview that almost does justice to the scale of the place.

So much wasted life, and in this case, just the French casualties.

I press on North and just before Consenvoye I find a German cemetery, its graves marked with iron crosses, four names to a cross, and there, nestling among the crosses are scattered the distinctive carved headstones of Jewish soldiers who died for the Kaiser; what a difference the following 30 years were going to make!

Again, the piccie is from Streetview!

I turn left in Consenvoye and cross the River Meuse and am faced with a choice at the T-junction; either left for the Villages Detruit or right to find the massive American Cemetery from the Allies second innings against the Germans.

All of the destroyed villages are now within a re-forested area of almost 20,000 Hectares (50,000 Acres) bought by the French government to protect the locality from the unexploded ordnance which still surfaces to this day.

The rain was getting steadily worse and I didn't fancy going for a tramp in the damp woods so decided to 'nip' along to the American Cemetery first. Neither signpost gave a distance, but the villages were within a few kilometres so I could always come back if the weather cleared up.

Right it was.

In Montfaucon D'Argonne I came across AN American Memorial (as opposed to THE enormous memorial elsewhere in the town) beside the Marie, which was striking in that it had a bloody great WWII Sherman tank parked on the surround, all freshly painted in gloss dark green and looking quite menacing in the murk.

Again I decided not to take piccies but to steal one from Streetview, but damn my eyes if it doesn't appear on the aerial shots nor on the Streetview views.

It looked as though it had been there since the day (but obviously hadn't, see below), and it was on one of two matching 'grasscrete' plinths, again which don't appear on the Google thingy.

So here, for your delectation and delight (and to prove that I might have been hallucinating, but wasn't) is a piccie of said tank, in-situ in the square opposite the Marie, taken without permission from

:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_M4A2_Shermans.pdf

And so I press on, determined to find the American Cemetery, which, as it happens, is all but impossible to miss as it straddles the D123 between Cunel and Romange-sous-Montfaucon.

Another piccie from Streetview without apologies as although it wasn't snowing when I was there, the tide was most definitely in!

And here is one of my photos, taken from the Reception building, looking back across the water feature in the middle of the main road (although when I arrived, the whole place was a water feature), toward the Chapel in the distance.

It was the weirdest sensation, as I drove round the cemetery and stopped at the foot of the steps leading up into the chapel, the rain suddenly stopped and I could swear I heard the tolling of a bell. I pulled off the helmet and gave my ears a rest from the moulded ear-plugs and sure enough, the chapel bell was tolling. 

Now I don't know if it always tolls or was on some sort of motion detector thingy or whether, having studied the Properties of my piccie, it was merely because I took the photo at noon, but it was rather eerie; that and the fact that once again, there was not a single soul to be seen, on the road, in the buildings, in the car parks, in the cemetery. No-one.

Spooky!

And so I continue my journey North and West, heading in the general direction of Calais, passing through Bantheville, Remonville, Bayonville, (big on the ville's in this part of France), Buzancy, Brieulles and Le Chene where all my plans turned, as all plans always do, to shite!

The fuel warning light came on and in this foul weather I was determined not to push my luck by ending up pushing the bike.

The Brick informed me that there was a Carrefour a mere 17 Km to my supposed North West and so I followed her dulcet tones through the lashing rain and blustery winds to a 24 hour pump at the closed (cos it is lunchtime and France closes at lunchtime, especially Carrefour but not Leclerc, I note) supermarket.

When I resumed my journey to the coast, I was frazzled to say the least, that Le Brique was now routing me via Reims and up the dreaded autoroutes to Calais.

On further investigation, my sense of direction had been confused whilst following the main road in Le Chesne as I had been actually heading SW when I asked her for directions to fuel. My supposed NW was actually South and so I was now back almost level with Reims and so with the weather closing in even more and the thought of all that back-road in these foul conditions not really appealing, I gave in and surrendered myself to Amy (for that is the name that Garmin give to my wonderful text-to-speech genie who guides my every move).

There was a brief lull in the weather and the roads from Vouziers to the Autoroute North of Reims were fast and furious, interminably long straights interspersed with fast flowing bends and yet again, no other traffic on the road and so I made indecent haste.

In the distance, on one of these loooong straights, the world just seemed to disappear in front of me in the far distance. It looked for all the world like the end of, well, the world; just a huge sheet of nothingness. Time to ease off the throttle methinks and consider my options.

About half a kilometre from the end of the world a huge truck suddenly burst out of the sheet of nothingness, the driver flashing his lights and waving manically out of his window at me to slow down.

I crept into the nothingness and it really was nothing. No road, no houses, no verges, just this horrid cloud everywhere with the rain bucketing down in violent sheets. Of course, although I couldn't see where I was going, there was nowhere to stop and if I just stopped, then the next lunatic along this stretch of road might not and then my appointment with my maker might be suddenly brought forward.

Just as I was calculating my chances, the bike burst out of the cloudburst and there coming toward me was a car, crawling along wondering where the world in front of him had gone. He didn't need me flashing my lights and waving manically at him to tell him to slow down, but I did anyway and that was the last I saw of him as when I looked in my rear view mirrors, there he was, not.

And so onto the A26 and North West for Calais, my Greek adventure drawing to a close.

Within an hour or two I was in the terminal building at Coquelles and getting outside of a huge (for a change) coffee and a sticky bun, some duty-free perfume to buy me Brownie points secreted about my person (cos there was sod all room in the luggage) and a chance to chat to fellow bikers about their adventures. 

Now I am not one to go on about achievements, but those of us who had set out on this adventure two weeks previously had certainly got the bragging rights when it came to 'so where have you been to then' time.

The only guy who had probably had a tougher time was on a Ducati! He was weighed down by an enormous day-glo backpack and had been down to Monaco for a few days, most of which were spent in his waterproofs and being of a certain age, he could barely walk as he told me a tale about the world disappearing into a huge sheet of water in the distance!!! Even he, however, had to agree that riding to Greece (for the equivalent of a long weekend) and back again, took the biscuit.

I had to agree. Just a pity that it was only me getting the credit after all the miles the others had put in.

The train manager took an instant liking to me when it was obvious I knew where to park to wait my turn and as we chatted while waiting for a late car to arrive, she pieced together the by now, rather tattered sticker on my windscreen.

'Wot deed thees say?'

'Greece OR Bust'

'Why?'

'Because I was going to Greece!'

'You went to Greece?'

'Yes!'

'OK! You can go onboard now, and then you must tell me all about it!'

Now that my friends, is proper bragging rights; not many people manage to impress these daily shepherds of channel crossers with their tales of derring-do but she stood spell-bound as I recounted some of the tales I have just recorded here and only broke away when the train arrived in Folkestone.

She was already on her way to Athens in her dreams as she waved me bon-voyage!

And then it was the final torment of motorways with hold-ups and roadworks and speed limits and trying to remember to ride on the left and then the final few twisties back to home...

...and so to bed! 

(not just any bed mind you, it was Brian's bed and he was more than ready for it)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 08:11:06 pm »
I love to read that again and again. You are indeed good in writing.
Thanks again for your kind words.
All I can add is that an open invitation is for all members here, and as always my house is open to all.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 08:14:14 pm »
Don't start me off all over again!

Brian (who thinks it would be cheaper to buy a house there rather than keep riding down  ;D )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 08:36:15 am »
With the prices really collapsing lately sounds like an excellent idea for those who can afford buying a summer house.
On the other hand planes cost 120 for the round trip.......tempting isn't it? and we can always get one of the new BMW models for a couple of days fm Costas for you to ride...... now that will cause more temptation..........hhahahaha  :-*
Embrace the wind.

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 03:43:13 pm »
With the prices really collapsing lately sounds like an excellent idea for those who can afford buying a summer house.
On the other hand planes cost 120 for the round trip.......tempting isn't it? and we can always get one of the new BMW models for a couple of days fm Costas for you to ride...... now that will cause more temptation..........hhahahaha  :-*

Sadly, I could not make the last visit.  To again read Brian's  excellent (reprised) account is like drinking a good Burgundy while someone is rubbing salt into a  cut!

Fly-ride sounds very tempting Costas,

Last time I visited your lovely country by road during August 1974, we took the "spine" route through Yugoslavia which was, in so many ways, very disagreeable.

I remember so well, just after crossing into Greece, we encountered an old chap, with a Xenon-bright smile, by the roadside.  He was accompanied by a cliché straw-hat wearing donkey and a wagon load of peaches. 

Sated on the succulent fruit, we drove on to a wonderful holiday quite untroubled by the crisis. Crete was very interesting (and furnace-hot)  but among our fondest memories nestles Paros and its  little" anti" where stayed for five days.  (Please don't tell me its all changed)

Apropos of nothing, was the Cat Stevens song Rubylove  ever popular in Greece? 

Brendan
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »
P.S.  On the return, we took a ferry to Brindisi (no more Titoland, thank you) and extended the trip to a full month by visiting Venice for a few days. 
BD
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history