Author Topic: Michelin...  (Read 12236 times)

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
Re: Michelin...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 01:34:59 pm »
Interesting since I remember reading a PR5 launch review and they referenced a certain C Sarron, who was riding his own well used and tatty K1300.  That would have been interesting to see, a man who's ambition (or bravery) often exceeded his talent hustling the mighty K around a test track.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 01:47:26 pm »
The date on my last tyre invoice is dated 10 May 2017... ::)

:D

I had no concerns with the Road 5s. They were easily as good as the PR4s. They had slightly better feel and slightly quicker turn in and lasted pretty much the same distance. They also lasted longer before starting to white line.

Or maybe take a chance on a pair of Angel GT / GT II - they don't white line, and still stick pretty well in the wet (albeit maybe not quite as well as a wet Mich).

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 02:20:25 pm »
And so to the thorny problem of prices...

Generally R5's are £50 a pair more than PR4's.

Micheldever, my go to dealer for decades is now 100 miles and 2 hours away.
Wheelhouse, my supposed new go to dealer is 70 miles and 1h 15m away.

Michelin currently have a free fitting deal on pairs on a ride-in ride-out basis. Yippee! Although Micheldever are happy to do it on PR4, Wheelhouse say it doesn't apply.

Micheldever PR4 £230 fitted - not in stock, 1 day notice.
Micheldever R5   Â£265 fitted.

Wheelhouse PR4 £280 fitted.
Wheelhouse R5   Â£300 fitted.

Looks like Wheelhouse are skinning customers and I have a long ride ahead...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 02:42:53 pm »

Michelin currently have a free fitting deal on pairs on a ride-in ride-out basis. Yippee! Although Micheldever are happy to do it on PR4, Wheelhouse say it doesn't apply.

As ever, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

If it were my money I'd pay the £265 for the Road 5s and, as you know Brian, I had no issues with the PR4's once the pressures were sorted.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 02:45:12 pm »
Interesting since I remember reading a PR5 launch review and they referenced a certain C Sarron, who was riding his own well used and tatty K1300.  That would have been interesting to see, a man who's ambition (or bravery) often exceeded his talent hustling the mighty K around a test track.

Another option indeed. Do they really not white line as they get towards end of life? I've never ridden on a tyre that doesn't eventually white line. My experience is that it's just a matter of how far through their life it is before it happens.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 02:59:00 pm »

As ever, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

If it were my money I'd pay the £265 for the Road 5s and, as you know Brian, I had no issues with the PR4's once the pressures were sorted.

And having re-read your original report on the R5's, that is exactly what I am going to do  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 04:39:12 pm »
This is daft!

Why would anyone ride 100 miles for tyres in this day and age? I was trying to buy the tyres online but the Micheldever website just wouldn't let me do it.

Then I remembered that the place that fitted the wrong tyres to the car last year, Protyre Gloucester, is only 20 miles down the lovely twisty A417 and they are part of the Micheldever group. I don't remember seeing a bike bay there so I gave them a ring. Turns out there are two sites on Bristol Road and the 'other' one does bikes...

Spoke to the lovely Tammy and she sucked her teeth and whistled softly then swore a little under her breath and finally said she would get the sack if she gave away the Road 5's for £265 fitted.

'But, the man at head office him say...'

I rang the guy back. He couldn't understand the confusion, double-checked his prices, confirmed it and gave Tammy a ring, which used to mean they were engaged, but now I'm not sure.

So, off to Gloucester tomorrow for a set of Road 5's at a silly, all-in, ride-in ride-out price of £265 a pair  :winkthumbs:

And Wheelhouse can take their pair at £300 fitted and stick em where the sun don't shine. As the guy said when I told him Micheldever's price 'There you go!'

And 'there' I went :adolf:

So, as the ad used to say, let your fingers do the walking.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 04:52:00 pm »
That's actually a bloody good deal. FWR, who I use in South London and who are always competitive, would charge £284.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 04:54:55 pm »
Agreed - v good price. And plenty of time to test their wet weather abilities before Wales.  :o

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 05:05:19 pm »
Hurrah! Congratulations on shortly having new tyres Brian! :D

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 05:34:07 pm »
As I said, Michelin do have a free fitting deal on bike tyres for ride-in ride-out till the end of the month or the end of the road or some such, so knock £30 off the usual price.

I think Metzeler have a £40 credit card deal which always means you can't remember the pin so lose the 'discount'.

I shall now spend the next few weeks riding between the white lines rather than just adjacent to them. Nerg Nail hates white lines and lurks in the gutters  >:(

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 09:47:19 pm »
Imho pr3 were simply astonishing especially in the wet, pr4s were a step sideways and backwards in the wet, the pr5s are almost as good as the 3s, not the glued to the road sensation, but last longer. The original Angel's were a nice summer tyre but couldnt touch pr3 or 5 in the wet, haven't tried the angel 2s. £265 is good for a pair of tyres whatever make unless you live near m6j6....Think you'll be reasonably satisfied with the pr5s, get em scrubbed in

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 10:24:43 am »
get em scrubbed in

Well, you know the bends between Maisemore and mine...

Interestingly, Micheldever are still advertising PR2's, PR3's as well as PR4's. Didn't check in what sizes and an ad. doesn't mean they available  ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2021, 05:45:27 pm »
Wow, that new front Road 5 is great...

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2021, 06:46:30 pm »
Facinating thread, my approach over the years is buy e'm when their the right price and not when you need e'm ,but as Wheel House said  ;D 'There you go'