Author Topic: Tyre time again  (Read 5753 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Tyre time again
« on: March 11, 2021, 09:54:57 am »
It's tyre time again, Some of the usual suppliers seem to have stopped selling bike tyres, Tyreleader, Black Circles have very limited choice. Alltyres365 seem to be unavailable on everything. So I have ended up ordering from Mytyres.co.uk

I went for Pirelli Angel GT (A) while they are still available £214.08 delivered and I'll get my local bike tyre shop to fit them when the time comes.
I bought my last set in July 2019 at £210.93 they have lasted about 10,000 miles which is the most I have ever got from a set of tyres.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Tyre time again
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 11:28:59 am »
I guess demand is outstripping supply and like most things, tyre production is probably down with illness keeping staff off work.

I would have thought that there would have been stock that retailers were glad to see go, unless they already all went...

revd

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 07:03:45 pm »
www.fwr.co.uk usually have stuff in stock. 

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 07:16:08 pm »
Thanks for the link, however the tyres I ordered would have cost £258 as opposed to the £210 I have paid, that's a lot of Bank of England drinking vouchers.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 09:12:13 pm »

I use their ride in ride out service and would recommend them.  :thumbsup:
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 09:26:43 pm »
I’ve found motorcycling is just like so many other things in life what you know takes you so far, who you know takes you a lot further, and tend to buy stuff when it appears at the right money when the phone rings not when I need it, but 210 quid for a pair of tyres plus fitting  :o blimey my mates are good too me.

revd

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 07:09:40 am »
I use either Watford Tyres or FWR, my options are fairly limited.  I've got Metz Z7's fitted at the moment, but would probably stump up for PR5's or the equivalent sports tyre as I no longer brave the horrible conditions unless necessary.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 07:49:26 am »
What is a typical price you pay Chris ?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 11:09:35 am »
Blimey i’m Not getting into things like that, I haven’t spent the last 50 years getting my foot in many doors, I have to say it works both ways, there is also a element of pure chance involved and while it would be interesting for some folk, my previous experience of when folk find out who I have connections with are more than happy to shove it up my ass at some time so it remains ‘It is what it is’

Always amuses folk when they walk into the garage current ‘Stock’ is 6 rears and 3 fronts mainly Power RS which is my current fad.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 11:54:12 am »
I'm not sure why you would mention it Chris if you don't want people to know. It takes all sorts eh.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 01:58:45 pm »
It takes all sorts eh.

You mean like buying your tyres else where and then having the brass neck to go to your local bike tyre shop to have them fitted, paying or not your dead right.

Where we differ i’d Have been buying my tyres from that shop and over the years expected a deal as time went on, and then you’d be in the boat as me, where it’s got as much to do with turning stock over as much as profit.

But hey your the one paying through the nose not me.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 02:31:09 pm »
I don't think Rae was asking for your top secret connections and methods and so forth Chris, he was just asking how much you pay if 210 GBP caused you such shock.

I don't mind letting everyone on here know I often pay £0 for eggs. But you don't need to know why ;). (hint Bob Carolgees)
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 03:17:52 pm »
Nicely put Matt  :thumbsup:

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 04:20:22 pm »

I don't mind letting everyone on here know I often pay £0 for eggs. But you don't need to know why ;). (hint Bob Carolgees)

Matt

The way it works is very simple if I give you a price for the eggs i’m Buying and you say you get them cheaper.....then logic says so can if i’m Prepared to get off my arse and find e’m or realise with some ducking and diving it’s possible ...or at the very least it gives me a bargaining chip because I know they can be found cheaper.

Non of which means I expect you to hand feed me...I can do that myself thank you very much.

As I had pointed out out today ‘You’ve got to go some to beat the net’ and that’s a trader saying that.....that’s tyres not eggs...., but completely pointless untill you can get them fitted for free, otherwise you are back to playing the long game with your local tyre man.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 04:53:10 pm »
If you pay over the odds then have a reason to do so - otherwise pay the minimum.

One of those reasons to pay over the odds might be support local shops, or support a specific shop of choice.
However, for a motorbike, locality is neither here nor there, since you can normally ride to another dealer/fitter.

Another reason might be for safety (or perceived safety). I go to Wheelhouse Tyres because I trust them, and I definitely pay above the internet price (£289 fitted). However, that's my call.

If Rae has no affinity to the local tyre seller / fitter, so be it. The fitter will still make a profit from the fitting, assuming he's not cocked up his pricing.
A smart fitter might enquire what price Rae got the tyres for and see if he could match them the next time around - thus increasing his profit.
If he's not making a profit, he's likely to go out of business, and Rae will have to go elsewhere, possibly spending a bit more fuel at a higher price - but that's a market economy for you.