Author Topic: Should i use anti-sieze on my wheel bolts?  (Read 11763 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Seat modded
Re: Should i use anti-sieze on my wheel bolts?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2019, 02:57:22 pm »
There's difference between bolt tension (what matters) and tightening torque (what a torque wrench can measure). Tightening a lubricated bolt to the same tightening torque will put more tension in the bolt than a dry assembled one. The vehicle manufacturer (BMW) says don't lubricate; the Copaslip manufacturer says using it without adjusting tightening torque leads to incorrect bolt tension. Copper in contact with Aluminium results in galvanic corrosion. How many reasons do you need not to do it? Ok, dry assembly can cause galling, but you should inspect the bolts when you remove them and replace if they are damaged. And if anything ever did happen I'm not sure ' I've been doing it for 45 years...' would be much of a defence. Not that I remember there being many bikes with alloy wheels bolted to single sided swing arms 45 years ago. One thing I have seen is an alloy wheel cracked by an overtightened lug nut, on a car not a bike, but same principles apply.

I totally agree with the above ^ ........ Apart from other factors, how does one know what to adjust the torque setting to if the wheel bolt/stud is lubricated???............Simple answer....Do not use any lubricant on the wheel studs/bolts!! ..... 
(49 years a professional motor mechanic)

Edit... just found this extract from a recent article, which says it all really!!!....

http://www.startribune.com/motormouth-don-t-use-lubricant-on-lug-nuts/510559822/

But experts tell us not to use any lubricant, including anti-seize compound, on wheel studs or nuts. The tech folks at Tire Rack state: "Torque specifications are for dry threads only. The fastener threads should be free of oil, dirt, grit, corrosion, etc. It is important NOT to lubricate hardware threads or seats.29 May 2019
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:26:44 pm by John »
Ex Motor mechanic. Retired

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 08:56:39 pm »
Article from where John? Cite! :)
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Gundog

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 2010
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus pipes, Schnitzer Bars, Bagster tank bag and cover, GS-911, Skidmarx rear hugger
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 07:29:16 pm »
Wow
Didnt expect this to be a contentious subject.
Go figure
“To arrive in the Rocky Mountains by plane would be to see them in one kind of context, as pretty scenery. But to arrive after days of hard travel across the prairies would be to see them in another way, as a goal, a promised land.”
Robert M. Pirsig: "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2019, 07:51:15 pm »
Wow
Didnt expect this to be a contentious subject.
Go figure

Safety angle + tech angle + opinions.
What more could you want for a fight?  ;D

I never considered that the application of Copaslip/grease/etc causes the torque wrench value to change. So, from my point of view, it's been very a useful discussion.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2019, 07:52:20 pm »
So, from this thread we can see there are conflicting views, which means go and do what you like, grease, don't grease, you choose.

Andym535

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2019, 08:11:34 pm »

Safety angle + tech angle + opinions.
What more could you want for a fight?  ;D

Religion or Politics perhaps, but people get really upset about that. :-)

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2019, 09:43:00 pm »
How do all ,

May as well throw me tuppence worth in 60 no is not a lot of torquing , but having been the victim of taking off seized wheel lugs can not see how it would harm or loosen the lug in time. It possible to brush them with anti slip and check tightness overtime to verify thems still tight. Trouble with gritting is over them they can seize the bolts .

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2019, 11:41:56 pm »
When you think about it. The rear wheel is removed for tyre change say every 5-6000 and a service when the rear drive oil is changed so I guess the wheel could be removed maybe three time a year, not long enough in my view for bolts to seize on especially if the threads are cleaned before replacement. So it must be those owners who do such small mileages and who don't service the bike annually are at least don't bother to do that part of a service that necessitates the removal of the rear wheel that get seized bolts.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2019, 10:38:08 am »
I think you'll find that TomK1300S removes his wheels every evening when he puts the bike to bed  8)

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2019, 01:18:23 pm »
 ;D ;D Not every night now Brian, but still strip down twice a year like the old RS.

Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 05:58:05 pm »
Be gor Tom your some man! Would not have that capability only doing 1500 mls a year and when not it’s 500. Respect you must be a Bmer technician 🤣👍🏻

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 03:52:54 pm »
under the tank....yeah right under the petrol tank, that would be a great place to put the indicator relay.....

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 06:39:40 pm »
In such discussions where the two opposing views appear to be the "science" group vs the "I've been doing it for years and it's never been a problem for me" group, I tend to side with the "science" group. That said, I did have a rear wheel bolt seize on my MotorSport, and broke two T25 (I think that's the size) bits before having to drill it out so, on this occasion I'm on the add ant-seize side.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2019, 08:48:37 pm »
;D ;D Not every night now Brian, but still strip down twice a year like the old RS.

Me too and i’ve Got 6 bikes on the go.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 08:50:52 pm »
In such discussions where the two opposing views appear to be the "science" group vs the "I've been doing it for years and it's never been a problem for me" group, I tend to side with the "science" group. That said, I did have a rear wheel bolt seize on my MotorSport, and broke two T25 (I think that's the size) bits before having to drill it out so, on this occasion I'm on the add ant-seize side.

I used to be the latter but learned the hard way hence i’m Now in the former  :)