Author Topic: Hello from Oxford  (Read 1683 times)

Offline andyredz

• Born to ride, forced to work
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Laminar Lip
Hello from Oxford
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:32 pm »
In the market for a K1200, ideally the GT.  Been to see a few around the 3k mark which is my budget.  One of them has done 50k year 2002, another has done a bit over 30k year 2004.  Would appreciate any advice on buying!  Thanks. Andy

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Hello from Oxford
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:10:41 pm »
Hi there Andy and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

If we are talking about the same K1200's, then you will be doing well to find a 2002. The S was introduced in 2004 and mine is an October build, not many still around for sure. The GT was introduced in 2006.

The problem with running a budget K12S, GT or R is the relatively high failure rate of some expensive components which can bankrupt the unwary!

BMW offer a full manufacturers warranty on the K for about £300 per year and unless you are buying the bike as a toy and have great DiY skills, these bikes can be infuriating to own without it. I speak from experience as one who doesn't have the warranty; most in here wouldn't run a K12/13 without it.

Early bikes have an electric brake servo that can cost an arm to get repaired. The ESA suspension (an option) can also be a real pain and is not cheap to repair, in fact it is cheaper to replace it.

There are clutch woes to boot, although early bikes do not necessarily suffer from this.

High-speed braking judders and low-speed weave can point to failing ball-joints which is not a simple thing to repair and isn't cheap in a dealers.

There are many recalls on these bikes, rear suspension linkage, cam-chain tensioner, cam-chain jump guard, fuel pump flange, cracks to the rear wheel flange (not yet recalled) etc, etc. A main dealer bike will have these covered, as should one with a FBMW service history.

So, from the accumulated wisdom of owners in here, buy from a dealer with a full warranty, or take a risk otherwise. Make sure it is running sweet on a test ride and check all the functions of the ESA, the clutch, the ball-joints and the ABS (although this either works or it doesn't).

Good luck with the search and let us know how you get on.

Brian (who thinks if you mean the K1200LT or the K1200RS, most of the above is a load of old tosh  ::)  )
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:21:11 pm by Phmode »

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:30:34 pm »
I reckon hes talking Brick engine K12 Brian, and if that is the case the number 1 issue is the good ol Servo ABS, I would try and hunt out a rare non ABS, they are about.
Other potential expensive cost is clutch replacement, mega labour intensive operation, some last 100K, others sub 30K. Engine fairly bullet proof but I believe that cam chain guides are a service item. Very tyre sensitive, a worn front can make the bike feel there is something really wrong. Drive train has similar strengths and weaknesses as the Boxer BM's of the same vintage, Paralever bearings rarely do more than 25-30k before needing changing but its not a biggy if you can spanner. Oh yeah, and the engine sounds like a box of spanners on tickover, thats normal.

But really mate, introduce yourself a bit and do some homework, this is a great forum but to be fair some of the US sites will have loads more info on the Classic K's
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline andyredz

• Born to ride, forced to work
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Laminar Lip
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:52:09 pm »
Thanks for the above.   Looks like I'm settling on a 2004 K1200GT, just about 30k.  It's the really nice dark blue.  Not a lot of service history but have budgeted for full service, about £400!  I haven't been on a test ride yet, that will come before I make the final decision.  The seller is going to put 12 months MOT on it, so hopefully that will raise any issues if they are present.