Author Topic: Zumo 595 or Navigator VI  (Read 4849 times)

Andym535

Zumo 595 or Navigator VI
« on: March 26, 2018, 04:39:03 pm »
Any reason to choose one or the other for use on a K13S, apart from price?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Zumo 595 or Navigator VI
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:42:58 pm »
Price! Price! And Price.

Oh, and the fact that you have to have the bloody BM thing tank-mounted which is way too low for my line of sight unless you mean not using the BM mount and losing the additional functionality.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:55:46 pm »
What exactly do you call the (bloody) "BM thing" ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 07:12:20 pm »
Oh, I think I get it ... BM = BMW, most probably ...

Andym535, if you want a nice Garmin 595 GPS support (K1300R/S- specific) : I have a BikePenR mount for sale, (pictures in the sales subforum).
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 12:47:01 pm »
Oh, I think I get it ... BM = BMW, most probably ...

Yes. It is a long stretch to the W on the keypad with my right index finger  8)

If you haven't seen the BM-argh-W mount it is a wonder of simplicity and inconvenience that bolts through the front end of the battery cover and drops the sat nav way out of the normal line of sight for most folks. If you use a tank bag it makes it even harder to see and use.

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 01:52:13 pm »
Totally agree with BMW tank mount. Next to useless unles you extend.
Anyways is the correct size Ram mount to use on head stock when remove BMW badge?
1" BALL BASE WITH M10 X 1.50 PITCH MALE THREAD or is it the 1.25 pitch

Also looking at UK supply for a 3 ball mount?
Mark Barbour

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 02:19:35 pm »
Cheers Rae, can you tell me if single ball mount is 1.5 or 1.25 thread pitch. Just away to order one up. The Motorsport has helibars so cant use conical mount that went inside bars. Shame as these were great.
Mark Barbour

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 02:30:16 pm »
Sorry, I have no idea of the thread pitch.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:11:13 pm »
Cheers Rae, can you tell me if single ball mount is 1.5 or 1.25 thread pitch. Just away to order one up. The Motorsport has helibars so cant use conical mount that went inside bars. Shame as these were great.

I had the conical mounts on my K12S before I fitted the Helibars. When I did I had a local engineering company machine off the cone and drill and tap the end of the Helibars so I could fit the 'conical' mounts flush to the end of the bars. Simples! But less so if you don't fancy taking the bars outof course.

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 04:24:19 pm »
Thats a cracking idea and would have been ideal. Dont fancy taking bars off to be honest and looking for a very simple fix.
Will keep in mind though should i feel brave enough.
Mark Barbour

Andym535

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 09:04:52 am »
Zumo 595 it is then. Sat Nav, bar end mount and the BMW connector arrived yesterday. Checking with a multimeter it seems of the three yellow wires coming out of the connector 1 is -Ve, 3 is +12v and it's switched by the ignition (eventually).

Only issue to be resolved is what to do with the yards of cable attached to the Garmin mount. Apart from the extra length it has audio in and out, Mic in and USB sockets that I don't need. I'm inclined to cut that back so I only have the 18" of cable needed to get to the connector in front of the battery; the mount is 'only' £40 to replace if I ever need one of the other connectors. 

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 12:53:36 pm »
Coil it up neatly and hang it out of sight inside the side panel. There is a USB connector on there which might come in useful later.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Andym535

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 01:28:00 pm »
Coil it up neatly and hang it out of sight inside the side panel. There is a USB connector on there which might come in useful later.

Not any more, there isn't. I did think about the USB socket but in the end decided to ditch it and keep it down to the minimum 2 wires and 18" of cable. All done now, and it seems to be working. Just hope I can read it without my reading glasses after all this...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 02:14:23 pm »
Both of the 12v wires are switched by the ignition, one immediately on turn off, the other after an indeterminate delay of about 30 seconds.

I can't stand mine turning off with the ignition so have it directly across the battery.

I found the neatest place for the coiled loom to be tucked down in front of the battery with a lazy loop to the head mount to allow flexibility for the steering. Easier to get to than in the fairing too.

As for the eyesight, I am asuming you are long-sighted  8)