Author Topic: Which aftermarket Exhaust.?  (Read 3213 times)

Offline marcus

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
Which aftermarket Exhaust.?
« on: November 27, 2020, 11:08:17 am »
OK HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN ANSWER  THIS QUESTION FOR ME ? MY K1200S IS A2005, MODEL COMPLETELY  STANDERED, I HATE THE BAZOOKA OF THE STANDARD  EXHAUST, SO WONDERED IF A REMUS HEXACONE EXHAUST FROM A K1300S WILL FIT ONTO MY 2005 K1200S, SEEN ONE AT A GREAT PRICE, BUT UNSURE IF IT WILL BE COMPATABLE .

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Which aftermarket Exhaust.?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:15:30 am »
Marcus, using all capital letters on the internet is classed as shouting, it's also very hard on the eyes. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. Your location in your profile helps people to give you targeted advice.

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 11:35:37 am »
Hi Marcus,

Based on my experience, it probably won't fit easily.  I bought a Remus Evolution can (also a good price) which was stated to fit a K1300S in the add, but as actually for the K1200.  What I found is that the K1300S downpipe is longer, because of the flap valve , which then pushed the can further back on the bike and the mounting holes to the passenger foot peg no longer lined up.  I swapped the mounting from the standard fixed bracket to a simple strap, which I could position as needed, but it was not ideal.  I would be inclined to look out for the right can.

Jason
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 11:38:22 am »
Simple answer is no. Not without modification to the front end which is different on a K13.

Also, early K12's were quite picky about after market silencers. My 2004 had a Laser can (which was an approved BMW accessory when the bike was new) which worked well on the bike after the later airbox and Idle Control Valve were installed; a must to sort out the atrocious fuelling of the early bikes.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 04:28:51 pm »
Akra for me,but as Brian said fuelling on early bikes leave a lot to be desired...

Offline marcus

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 11:59:36 pm »
Appoligise  for shouting........ I'm in the naughty  corner now , lol thanks for the reply to my question, just the information I was after from other members. Cheers guys .

revd

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 09:31:38 am »
If you have a tight budget, I bought a new Delkevic exhaust for my K1200R for £140 delivered.  Easy to fit, decent quality and sounds pretty good. Baffle stays in as it is more than fruity enough as it is.  Simple oval stainless exhaust and a good fit.  Way lighter than the OEM Bazooka.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 10:26:54 am »
...and made in UK to boot, despite the foreign sounding name.

revd

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 11:26:17 am »
...and made in UK to boot, despite the foreign sounding name.

Exactly. Part of what made me buy it.  I quite happily buy second hand goods, environmentally friendly etc, but for new goods, I do try to use "local" services insofar as is possible and sensible. 

I've been rather impressed with the quality having had Scorpion, Motad, ART, MIVV, SP Engineering and various OEM models.  Well put together and good welds.

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Too many to list
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 11:37:11 am »

I was very impressed with GPR - medium price point but very high quality. They do one for your bike.

Here's the install and sound on a K1300

Dave

https://youtu.be/HbhRb9ipxCg

Bigbikemad Channel

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 01:23:59 pm »
Fitted a K13 one to mine, straightforward, bit of modifying on the heal guard but easy to do with a Dremmel. Super cheap and sounds plenty throaty.

No issues with running or fuelling.

Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline fatporker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: MRA Vario Touring Screen, AC Schnitzer Levers, Mirror Extenders,Cansmart with denali soundbomb and B6 rear brake light, GPR EXhaust , SW Motech Alu Rack
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:33 am »
Can i ask what will probably be a stupid question i notice with the original exhaust it gets super hot which in comparison to my other more modern bike seems crazy heat.  I would like to be able to stick  a cover almost straight on it sometimes say if i was to leave it at the airport .. I presume the more modern aftermarket exhausts like the GPR will not be any where near as hot after a blast down a motorway ... ie I would be able to pop a cover over it fairly quickly after arrival at destination ?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 12:19:59 pm »
I don't know about others but my GPR doesn't have a cat. The cat is the thing that gets super hot and therefore takes a while to cool. My Akra is a BM part and that has the cat also. My Sport Cases keep the cover off almost all the silencer.

You can get covers with heatproof silencer protector panels but I doubt they would pack flat enough to carry.

Offline fatporker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: MRA Vario Touring Screen, AC Schnitzer Levers, Mirror Extenders,Cansmart with denali soundbomb and B6 rear brake light, GPR EXhaust , SW Motech Alu Rack
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 02:06:02 pm »
Thanks for that, me being me I called the helpful guys at GPR had a quick discussion and suffice to say its in process not sure lead time but he explained the heating was from the Cat so look forward to fitting that when it arrives January