Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 134897 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: K1200S
« Reply #675 on: July 29, 2020, 09:40:28 am »
Most of the miles have been in uber commuter mode, travelling to london/up country and holland. Not so much motorway but a lot of A road and dual carriageway. The Angel's and Roadtecs were  destroyed by the A39 while commuting to Hinkley Point along the north coast,  maybe lasted a bit longer if on the A roads and dual carriageway. Having said that the PRs lasted longer on the A39 as well. Now that i am actively trying to avoid motorways we'll see what that does to the PR life.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #676 on: July 29, 2020, 10:31:58 am »
Really interesting read. 

I've just got a 13's for uber commuting also.  I'm a freelance engineer so tend to work in 6-12 month chunks at  different places. Currently I've a daily 70 mile round trip that's mostly motorway but has 10 miles of cross-city thrown in. Joining this forum scared the crap out of me initially, thinking  I've just bought an expensive and unreliable lemon. Your posts have set my mind at ease a fair bit. My K1300 has 17K miles on the clock but as I don't know recent history I'm doing a service and oil change next weekend. I'm particular about oil in all my vehicles so not going with the recommended BMW stuff  :o. Question I have is about diff oil. Is there any preferred grade or brand, do additives help (like moly). Also, air filters. Is it worth putting a DNA one in? Had a DNAon my KTM and it made a difference to breathing.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #677 on: July 29, 2020, 10:39:25 am »
The K12 has been serviced every 6000 miles using bmwvparts. As far as air filters are concerned just make sure they change them on time, and both of them

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #678 on: July 29, 2020, 10:49:48 am »
I see why you didn't stick with Angels - the Mich PRs lasted a very (VERY!) long time.
These were mainly motorway miles, I guess, with the average MPG being lower than the MPH?

Wow that is indeed the most standout part of the whole post! And sad how exciting it is to me hahah. Although this has reignited my internal tyre debate which is a bit of a bugger! :P

Oh, @armstrongracer, there was a thread recently on oil, and we traditionalists balked at non-OEM being suggested, but then it was used, world didn't end, and I think even Chris said he's used non-OEM and Birmingham still exists (...must... resist... urge to show... regret... :P)

Hang on let me find the link as i'm a nice young man with a lot of potential... Oh you already posted in there. Good luck getting any more sense :P

Now, i'm off to nerd up on PR5.

EDIT: Silly me, not on a 19 inch front I don't! Although Road 5 Trail looks almost identical.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:17:55 am by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #679 on: July 29, 2020, 11:46:33 am »
In a previous life too long ago I was an automotive engineer and was actually involved in the start-up of a well known venture based in Hinkley  ;). The factory fill of oil was free, the kickback being a  recommendation for that manufacturers oil in the service book. That is how it works and I'm sure BMW is no different. The main thing with the clutch is avoiding oil with friction modifiers like moly, zinc and phosphorus, which is probably what BMW mean when they talk about special "additives", it's probably no additives in reality. For engine oil I'll stick with Motul or Silkolene, I've done many dyno runs in the past here they've outperformed more car-orientated brands.

Good stuff about the PR5's, they are on my radar.

Coully

« Reply #680 on: July 30, 2020, 10:26:26 am »
We (I) came across a guy in the Roster and Wuss or Wester Ross or somewhere in that foreign country 'oop north from 'oop north.

This may be the same guy Rae speaks of.

He was happy to guarantee his work and did a week's turnaround from memory.

However, that is as far as my memory goes so not much use at all really...

Any more info on this fella ? I'd damn near drive the part to him if he's in the north

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #681 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:16 pm »
No. I mailed the guy way back but the details were lost in the firestorm that was the original EuroKClub forum.

Get in touch with them. The guy I spoke to was confident in his work.

There are also some vids online about how to remove the motor from the unit.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #683 on: July 31, 2020, 04:58:40 pm »
This looks like Rainpal under a different name, a scam if I'm not mistaken.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 31, 2020, 05:20:34 pm »
Almost certainly dodgy as most facebook ads are, it was just the advert video was a bit of fun. I'll be continuing to use my gloves...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #685 on: July 31, 2020, 06:52:04 pm »
What you need is a Turbo Visor... 8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #686 on: July 31, 2020, 07:44:45 pm »
Just when you thought youd got every possible gadget....

https://www.colorddo.com/products/50-off-mini-helmet-wipers
https://www.facebook.com/103349014787147/posts/118806929908022/?extid=folsj66EoU2eYQ1N&d=null&vh=e

The website doesn't have a real physical address - ALERT.
It also references ijade.com, and that's got an incorrect cert. - ALERT

Lastly I have no confidence in a site that claims that you can:

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #687 on: July 31, 2020, 08:31:37 pm »
Told ya  ::)

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #688 on: August 04, 2020, 11:44:44 am »
Flying trip to shropshire this week, 98000 on the completely non motorway without punctures trip back, somewhere on the good old A303. And my chicken strips are very much smaller as a result. She is shaking her head and chattering a bit when well cranked over, sometimes to the alarm of nearby tin box occupants and occasionally my sphincter, so I am wondering if the head bearing is on it's way again, or the shock is on the way out.  The vibration gets bad around 70 to 90 but lessens as you approach, er, terminal velocity ( rearrange the following numbers into a well known phrase or saying zero one six). Or maybe I was holding on a bit tighter.
You may think the A303 is a hell of a way off route but chasing the welsh borders then looping around east of Bristol overall it was only 16 miles longer than hogging the motorway.

The new battery has apparently cured the non starting issue so theres a flying visit to the Canning Motorbike World due to return the motobatt
I have contacted the abs repair man in Cullumpton who say he can fix the unit and will give a 5 year guarantee for about £250. I have had a look at the service manual and think I can remove the pump, but dont think I can do the reinstall. Mechanically reassembling and  bleeding the system is possible but reading around I think there will need to be some reprogramming of the electronics involved.

Did you get any further with the Cullumpton ABS chap? Looking to get mine sorted and trying to find someone who will do the work.
Cheers
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 07, 2020, 11:51:08 am »
Not yet. Am riding til mot time and will then do it. Conflicting stories about reprogramming the unit  after reinstall just now. Need to study further.