Author Topic: Ross's bikes  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
Ross's bikes
« on: November 18, 2017, 02:22:58 pm »

1 GT250A 1975 - 1981 not mine but the same model and colour. I preferred the Suzuki to all the
other 250 offerings available at the time - the Yamaha was too 'modern', the Kawasaki exhaust sounded silly
and the Honda 4-stroke was boring! The GTs disk break was simply a danger in the wet but, as with the other
2-strokes, the acceleration in the upper rev band was excellent - I could beat a Porsche 911 away from traffic
lights ... albeit briefly ... not bad for bike with L-plates  8) ;D

2 BMW GS1100 2007 - 2008 I passed my test in 2007 and bought this - perhaps a bit of a challenge
after so many decades off a bike but it served me well. As soon as I got the hang of it I took it to
France for a 4 week solo trip - no better way to learn to ride and to learn some (very) basic French!

3 Ducati S4RS 2008 - 2009
Part-exchanged the 1100 for this as I fell in love with the power and colour scheme ... far too small for me really.
It would pull a wheelie if you turned on the ignition, never mind if you loaded the rear with luggage as I did for
this trip to Scotland  ;D

4 BMW F800GS 2008 - 2009
I owned this along side the Ducati for a while and this was the bike I took to Morocco with my then partner on
her GS750 (also an 800cc bike) - five weeks of absolute biking bliss with off-roading in the Atlas Mountains and
the Sahara desert - an excellent bike for such trips!

5 BMW K1300S 2009 - 2011
I fancied a change - what a change! Wow! The only issue - the riding position hurt unless I was traveling at speed.
It was so easy to speed far above the legal maximum without even noticing ;D

6 BMW F800GS 2011
I fancied a return to on-road/rough-road touring so part-exchanged the K1300S for this. A great bike but I had already
been there/done that so eventually exchanged it for the mad, bad ...

7 KTM 990Adv 2012 - 2013
No road bike should do what this bike can do off-road! I took it on some off-road rally courses in Wales and also to France touring
on-road. It was less than perfect at the touring side of things being a bit rough so far as low-speed fuelling was concerned and
the fuel tank, ergonomically designed for excellent off-road handling (you can sit almost on top of it for low-speed manuvering in mud and other
challenging conditions), had a very small capacity for road riding.

8 BMW K1300R 2013 - now
I began to wonder about the R as a stylistically mad alternative to the S with what looked like a better riding position so took a test ride - right on
both counts ... I love this bike!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:38:24 pm by Ross »
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
Re: Ross's bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 07:34:09 pm »
"Stylistically mad" , I guess that sums it up, then again I have always been attracted by different but not sure I am that brave. ;D Glad you are enjoying it.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Ross's bikes
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:38:44 pm »
They always look as though the ball joints have failed in a very terminal way.....