Author Topic: 18k service  (Read 2143 times)

Offline commando 848

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED all round, bikini fairing, SC project exhaust carbon belly pan
18k service
« on: April 08, 2021, 07:30:45 am »
Have booked my K1300r in for its 18k service, part of which includes checking the valve clearances. Have any members actually had to have the valve clearances adjusted?. I ask this as I am always a bit dubious about some aspects of the service, especially with the drama involved with measuring and changing shims, removing cam shafts etc. One example was on a K1600 I once had. I rode 50 odd miles to the dealer and the service was carried out in less than three hours. The valve were checked whilst the engine was hot. When I enquired, I was told the measurement was carried out with a laser measure - am I missing something?
Its better to burn out than fade away

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
Re: 18k service
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 07:51:34 am »
Have booked my K1300r in for its 18k service, part of which includes checking the valve clearances. Have any members actually had to have the valve clearances adjusted?. I ask this as I am always a bit dubious about some aspects of the service, especially with the drama involved with measuring and changing shims, removing cam shafts etc. One example was on a K1600 I once had. I rode 50 odd miles to the dealer and the service was carried out in less than three hours. The valve were checked whilst the engine was hot. When I enquired, I was told the measurement was carried out with a laser measure - am I missing something?

The Laser measure I have used makes the job ten times faster, its as easy as turning the cam to the test position pointing the laser onto the cam follower and then pulling the cam follower up to the lower part of the cam lobe, measurment done.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:47:54 am »
But presumably it should have been measured cold - right Tom?

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 12:48:52 pm »
But presumably it should have been measured cold - right Tom?

I would say YES to that, but if you are doing the same engine all the time you should also know what the clearances are when hot, or at least when above a certain temperature.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Steve CH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 04:13:00 pm »
My k13s was done checked but no adjustment necessary
Steve
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 04:38:08 pm »
My K1300S Sport did 54,000 miles and had 3 18K services. My MotorSport did 50,000 and had 2 18k services. Neither ever required a single adjustment.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 05:06:12 pm »
They only go out of whack when you don't measure them.  ::)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 05:28:47 pm »
They only go out of whack when you don't measure them.  ::)

So the opposite of a kettle. Which means engines must be anti-kettles, which means engines are students running around a town.

Also: I think it was my first K, somewhere near the end of ownership (which was ~50k) it needed some adjustment. But neither bike did at the first 18k!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 05:41:04 pm »
My K1300GT had the valve clearances checked last year at around 44,000 miles, as the plastics were off for new throttle bodies to be fitted. Whilst the work was undertaken a little earlier than required by the service schedule (it had covered around 11,000 miles since last check, which was also carried out early) I was told that no adjustments were needed.

I was charged just one hours labour to check the valves and replace spark plugs with the fairings etc. already removed.

Incidentally, the stick coils were replaced as a precaution at 44,000 miles, as they showed signs of "bulging" slightly. I was told that this is often the case, at higher mileages.