Author Topic: Opps who's been a silly boy ?  (Read 4278 times)

Offline marcus

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
Opps who's been a silly boy ?
« on: March 18, 2021, 03:23:54 pm »
 :adolf: that will be me then , Doing some cleaning and fettling  on my mates 2007 K1200S, respray the front forks/  cleaned the calipers pads ect , put it all back together  looking really  good, the dreaded  Brake Failure  light stays on .
Just read the owners manual instructing you not to undo the left front wheel spacer pinch bolt , Doh,  because its factory set for the ABS wheel sensor.
It was a total mare to get loose,  it was extreamly coroded, wondered why the left wheel spacer was rotating when I was trying to torque the spindle up.
So can I just  free off the pinch bolts, turn the wheel spindle hoping it will  knock out the brake failure  light ?
Or is it a trip to the local steallership for a rest......incoming.

Offline Steve CH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S
Re: Opps who's been a silly boy ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 04:12:15 pm »
If all else fails read the instructions
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 04:14:00 pm »
I don't recall anyone doing this before, it's pretty well known not to touch the left side bolts. Maybe someone will be along shortly that may be able to help.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 04:22:40 pm »
Woh! That's news to me.  So does that rule apply to K13's too and if so is it left side sitting on bike (clutch lever side) or left side from the front (throttle side)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 04:40:29 pm »
It does apply to 13s and it's a pretty standard reference that the left and right sides are as you are sitting on the bike.

My best advice is, RTFM  ;D

It's section 9 page 113 in the K1300S owners manual.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:46:49 pm by raesewell »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 04:58:53 pm »
According to the RepROM the distance between the Wheel Speed Sensor and the Sensor Ring should be between 0.2 - 1.7 mm

Hope that helps.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 05:12:53 pm »
:adolf: that will be me then , Doing some cleaning and fettling  on my mates 2007 K1200S, respray the front forks/  cleaned the calipers pads ect , put it all back together  looking really  good, the dreaded  Brake Failure  light stays on .
Just read the owners manual instructing you not to undo the left front wheel spacer pinch bolt , Doh,  because its factory set for the ABS wheel sensor.
It was a total mare to get loose,  it was extreamly coroded, wondered why the left wheel spacer was rotating when I was trying to torque the spindle up.
So can I just  free off the pinch bolts, turn the wheel spindle hoping it will  knock out the brake failure  light ?
Or is it a trip to the local steallership for a rest......incoming.

Having not done the same yet...I don’t know, my first port of call would be a GS-911WIFI, they are money well spent and a great investment, try and buy one with maybe just one slot used on the customer version and you can stick your mates on as well and share the cost, if all else fails dealer.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 05:32:16 pm »
Does the bike have the powered brakes? if it does then my expectation is that, if the pistons in the calipers have been moved and the fluid in the system flowed, it's more likely to be issues with the ABS/power pump. I certainly had no issues undoing the pinch bold then checking the ABS sensor gap when refitting on my K1300s.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 05:32:35 pm »
I am going to stick my neck out here and say that if you get the required distance between the wheel and sensor ring that it will be fine and not need a GS 911 or a visit to the dealer.
Although Chris's advice to get a GS 911 is probably the way to go for the future, if you are keeping the bike.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 07:43:42 pm »
I always took both sides out when replacing the tyre, clean everything up and put back with a 1mm feeler gauge between it, never had any problems.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline marcus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 12:25:10 am »
According to the RepROM the distance between the Wheel Speed Sensor and the Sensor Ring should be between 0.2 - 1.7 mm

Hope that helps.
cheers for that fella,

Offline marcus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 07:44:39 am »

Hope that helps.
any info is good info thanks any idea how to reset the gap do I remove the ABS wheel sensor and reinstall it with feeler gauge,  then tighting the small  domed head screw

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 08:00:00 am »
Having never done it I cannot answer your question, Tom will be along shortly to answer your query.

Offline marcus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 08:04:01 am »
Does the bike have the powered brakes? if it does then my expectation is that, if the pistons in the calipers have been moved and the fluid in the system flowed, it's more likely to be issues with the ABS/power pump. I certainly had no issues undoing the pinch bold then checking the ABS sensor gap when refitting on my K1300s.

thanks for your input, my mates bike is a 2007 I think it has power brakes? Front caliper pistons were in a right mess really grubby and pistons stuck solid , managed to free them , cleaned everything up , the rear caliper was very dirty ,  the rear pistons were free which was a surprise, after cleaning the rear caliper up and pushing the pistons back , put it all back together again ........ rear brake pedal has no resistance to it , I may add I had to fit a new battery at the same time..... so when you switch on the  the diagnostics  does it thing , servo noise from brakes when you squeeze  the front brake or step on the rear ,still little braking, brake failure  lights on permanently,  even when the engine is running ,

So with needing the front ABS wheel sensor gap reset,  and with forcing the pistons back in the caliper , what now needs done to get the brakes operational again ? Let me guess it wont be easy ?  Just a quick update, mate came to collect his bike, he was very pleased with the work done to it and the brakes are just fine, no abs lights so happy campers all round.. thank you for everyones input though .
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:24:48 am by marcus »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 08:15:37 am »
The joys of BMW K ownership eh  ???