Author Topic: 1 2 1 Green Lane Training  (Read 4827 times)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
1 2 1 Green Lane Training
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:07:17 pm »
In couple of weeks time I have booked myself on  the above course as above with an expert  who tunes the day to the single punter, he operates from Longnor Staffs. Incidentally he in an earlier life was a BA pilot. My craft of choice for the day will be a KTM, cc not known at this stage.  I was contemplating  heading off to Wales or Shropshire, but now found it on my doorstep  I am looking forward to it I am keen to get stuck in.  ;D
JS

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: 1 2 1 Green Lane Training
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »
Nice 1, 2 1 8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:02:43 pm »
It appears that you will be attending the Yamaha off-road scool at Llanidloes in Wales Simon....

http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/121-coaching.html

....unless there is another one of course  8)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 10:44:47 pm »
Brian, As in my post in Staffordshire not far from Buxton and Leek http://www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk/ Boyd the main man sounds a top man and I should have a great intro to this Skill/Sport. He will also give advice about the best choice of Green lane Bike to meet your needs you may or may not purchase in the future. The other larger schools are way more wedge than I am bunging, none of this comes cheap but I think if it lives up to its billing it will be money well spent.
JS

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 11:24:36 pm »
Have fun Simon.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:45:18 am »
Tom/Brian, It will be hopefully very enjoyable and a bit of a steep learning curve, depending on how I go on I could end up doing 100 miles or so on a combi of naggery lanes and green lanes. Last time I spent time on green lanes was in the middle 80's in the Dark Peak when I regularly used to take (my) multi coloured Range Rover in pursuit of crims and also took a Landy up onto the moors above Ladybower to try and save a walker that had a heart attack. It involved much real offroad driving and my passenger altering stream crossings width by moving sleepers closer or further apart. Sadly when we got there the poor chap had expired. He was then respectfully returned to civilisation in the Landy, more than a sombre trip for me and my oppo.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:18:42 am by JackSnipe »
JS

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 09:14:53 am »
I had a good chat with Boyd at the Hartington cafe last summer. He was with two relative youngsters who were having a great day. All the best
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 09:24:26 am »
Paul, Thanks for that, which cafe was it in Hartington (Any good?) as my bike club are looking for new ride stop offs please ?
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:33:19 am »
Didn't know you had a bike club Simon!

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 10:23:44 am »
Rae, Loose term "My Bike Club" it has 20000 members all over the world, it is the Blue Knights for law enforcement officers, those that have or had a power of arrest could be Military, Civilian Police, Prison officers, Customs officer. You have to have an exemplary record and served at least 20 years, you are vetted.
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 10:26:53 am »
Ah right, gotcha Simon, I thought for a silly minute there that you had put your hand in your pocket and joined Ulysses  ::) ???

gibbo

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 11:03:07 am »
First Aid Kits at the ready lads, and a spade to dig him out with.  ;)

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »
Paul, Thanks for that, which cafe was it in Hartington (Any good?) as my bike club are looking for new ride stop offs please ?

It's a small cafe within the Post Office, or visa versa, in the centre of the village. Decent but not much room, I normally sit outside. If there's a few of you the Hulme End Tea Junction is a couple of miles west on the B5054. Nice cake. It's at the end of the Manifold Valley cycle track.
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 07:15:45 pm »

It's a small cafe within the Post Office, or visa versa, in the centre of the village. Decent but not much room, I normally sit outside. If there's a few of you the Hulme End Tea Junction is a couple of miles west on the B5054. Nice cake. It's at the end of the Manifold Valley cycle track.

>  It's at the end of the Manifold Valley cycle track.

Good suggestion! A very pleasant cycle, and excellent cake, I agree.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 10:59:06 am »
I was with Boyd on one of his KTM 250's yesterday he was on his 450, what a day I had in glorious countryside in the Peak District. His bike prep and briefing/instructions were superb easy to understand and get to grips with. In fairness this day ride is not for the faint hearted you have to be physically fit and strong. The bikes performance was incredible and the way you steer same through your feet was surprising ( I found it came quite naturally, some don't) these KTM's got up stuff I would never imagine a bike could plough through, we did 100 miles at least on loads of Green lanes linked by a network of back roads, we were up and down dale on steep inclines/declines on deadly limestone , better grip gritstone and at times it was a rutted mud fest. Some of the green lanes we went on resembled widish boulder strewn stream beds and the pummelling the bike took clambering over at time massive boulders was mighty impressive. There was none of this flat  lovely grassed whizz through for example New Forest like terrain it was really all extreme physical stuff. Yes we did tass through a grit covered forest trail and I had my foot down on bends grasstrack  style. I can recommend this top day out I was kitted out like Robo Kop with all areas covered including mega SIDI Boots, at one time I caught my foot on a massive boulder, in other gear it would have been a foot breaker but with these on nothing other than a big thud. Rut riding is tough but with the right stance you can minimise the risks to damaged legs when you are told how and bother to take note.

Incidentally this is a work out sport, you are made to work hard and get hot and sweaty and the tarmac rides give chance for a breather.

A top day out with an enthusiastic expert and nice guy.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:08:29 am by JackSnipe »
JS