Author Topic: MCT Suspension, ESA rear shock rebuild  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
MCT Suspension, ESA rear shock rebuild
« on: September 25, 2023, 01:11:11 pm »
Just had my rear shock absorber re-built by MCT suspension.  They are very old school, and like customers to call and discuss their requirements.  Called them prior to removal, and they advised set both damping and preload to full soft.  Mine had failed completely, with zero damping.  They confirmed they could do the ESA, and that with K1300 it was likely that the chrome had worn through on the piston rod and it would need grinding and re-chroming.  They didn't go into the removal process, so had to work this out for myself, and took the opportunity to clean and re-grease all the linkage bearings.  Packed it up and sent it off.  There is no booking process or forms online, so just included my contact detail.  It is all a bit old school.

I then received a phone call about 4 days later, confirming they had received, stripped, cleaned and inspected.  The piston rod did indeed need re-grinding / chroming, and the spring needed powder coating, otherwise no issues other than new seals / fluid etc.  Would be £345 + VAT.  About 7 further days, received the call to say was complete, paid, and received the shock back he next day.

It really did look like new, with only a tiny bit of fading to the plastics to give the game away.  Re-fitted to the bike, worked straight out of the box, in terms of damping and preload control.  The first ride was excellent, and the bike performed exactly as hoped.  I cannot comment on longevity, but suspect it should be good for many years.

While it is not cheap, it was quick and relatively easy, and the service was first class.  I always spoke to Darren, and he seems to genuinely care about what he does and is small enough that he remembers the things he has told you, so it feels a bit more personal.  I kind of hope I won't need to go back, but would not hesitate.

Jase
Being grumpy makes me happy

Online richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: MCT Suspension, ESA rear shock rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 03:02:29 pm »
Good info, Jase, thanks.
Glad to hear it's now working, and the price is still well below even 3rd party replacements.

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 04:36:08 pm »
I believe it was Darren I spoke to years ago when I was looking to have an Ohlins rear shock fitted to my Thunderace and setup for me and my then pillion.

Not because I was having problems with the suspension as the bike had only done 12k miles but Ohlins was the ultimate and I just had to have it!  ;)

I remember getting the feel-good factor from talking to him on the phone but i never did get round to fitting it.

Sold the Thunderace during COVID but still have a brand new, boxed Ohlins 46HRCLS in the cupboard uder the stairs!

I remember seeing at the time it also fitted some BMW models but as I didn't have one then I took no notice of what models... ::)

Good to know if the time ever comes that MCT can take care of the suspension on my GT though...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 05:02:49 pm »
Well, they may be old school in terms of customer service but they are right at the top of their game in practice.

Their workshop is stainless steel from ceiling to floor, off which I would happily eat my supper cos it is way cleaner than my place.

When I visited about 8 or 9 years ago they were stripping and rebuilding state of the art Ohlins and WP units with all the right tools and bins full of genuine spares. I can tell you from my experience, they are way more interested in having satisfied customers than they are about making money off people, although with their level of service I reckon they do way more repeat business from long-term customers than some I could name.

Glad you found them to your liking.

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 05:31:19 pm »
Well, they may be old school in terms of customer service but they are right at the top of their game in practice.

Their workshop is stainless steel from ceiling to floor, off which I would happily eat my supper cos it is way cleaner than my place.

When I visited about 8 or 9 years ago they were stripping and rebuilding state of the art Ohlins and WP units with all the right tools and bins full of genuine spares. I can tell you from my experience, they are way more interested in having satisfied customers than they are about making money off people, although with their level of service I reckon they do way more repeat business from long-term customers than some I could name.

Glad you found them to your liking.

Nothing wrong with old school at all, that is definitely a compliment in my eyes.  I was very happy to chat to Darren before sending the shock to him, as he clearly knew exactly what to expect, and what was likely to be needed.  He therefore gave me a pretty accurate estimate over the phone, having never even seen the shock.  This gives confidence that he knows what he is doing, along with previous comments on this forum, this is why I didn't look anywhere else.

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 09:50:37 am »
What process did you use to get the shock out? Did you dismantle the whole back end?
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 10:56:51 am »
I'm planning to do a more detailed write up at some point, as I did find it quite tricky.  The stepper motors are big, so removing it from the bottom is impossible.  In short, I removed the bottom linkage, electrical connectors, freed up all the ECU wiring etc.  Then I disconnected the 2 hose connections from the top of the oil tank, loosened the top subframe bolts, and removed the bottom subframe bolts.  This allowed me to pivot the subframe up and forward, the oil tank can then be moved out of the way and the shock can be pulled out from the top. 

Once I'd worked it out, the method was pretty easy, and mechanically re-fitting the shock, was a simple reversal of this and very quick.  Re-connecting the 3 electrical plug less so.

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 01:37:09 pm »
That's great.  Thanks.   :download:
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org