Author Topic: KTM 1290  (Read 4194 times)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
KTM 1290
« on: September 14, 2020, 08:22:21 pm »
I'm certainly not going to be talking fishing but some might prefer too rather than KTM's  ;)

But any looking for some modern day get up and go this is it,and yes that is us  8)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
Re: KTM 1290
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 08:46:49 pm »
Still never ridden one. Was looking at a brand new 2019 Model at a stupid price and then lock down hit, but they have all sold now. Did wonder if the same would happen again at the end of this year when Euro4s can’t be sold anymore - KTM are great at their end of season sales  :D

Just couldn’t buy into the GS scene so have just gone back to a Triple Black XR.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:07:12 pm »
As you know i’vet had my much modded X/R for 4 years and as good as it is, just doesn’t have the blooded minded bottom end grunt that the GT has.

As for buying a GT or any KTM you def need your dancing shoes on...ever since the American batch got dumped in the UK always need to do your home work.

Remember being high in the Pyrenees middle of nowhere on the way to the Aragon Moto GP,bunch of Brits turn up one is on a GT, oh is that one of those 11k GT’s I ask..No mate he says they were only 11k with the Akra can without they were 10.5K  :o, and they do have their quirks...top gear?? Not under 75mph  :o but jeez they’ve got some go in them  ;D

revd

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »
I've ridden the SD990R and the RC8....

RC8 was smooth and pulled the horizon closer very very quickly, much like a K bike I'd say.

The SuperDuke was mental.  I had a sore face from grinning too much and sore arms from hanging on for dear life as I pinged it up and down the gears on roads local to me.  Best fun I've had on a bike in ages and very sharp steering/braking.  Brilliant package, but I like the size of the K for my frame.

Offline Bandit2beemer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 05:06:26 pm »

RC8 was smooth and pulled the horizon closer very very quickly, much like a K bike I'd say.

The SuperDuke was mental.  I had a sore face from grinning too much and sore arms from hanging on for dear life as I pinged it up and down the gears on roads local to me.  Best fun I've had on a bike in ages and very sharp steering/braking.  Brilliant package, but I like the size of the K for my frame.

I’m thinking of changing my k1300r for a gt pre reg 2020 what do I need to look out for ?

Cheers

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 05:41:37 pm »
good looking outfit, except for the red boots....

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 07:46:11 pm »
good looking outfit, except for the red boots....

Daytona winners please  ;)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 07:57:47 pm »

I’m thinking of changing my k1300r for a gt pre reg 2020 what do I need to look out for ?

Cheers

Well if your expecting me to say Oh yes jump in with both feet you’d be mistaken...

I didn’t buy the GT and have it replace something else which makes a major difference, i’d Done plenty of home and knew what I was getting into, the whole KTM thing is a million miles away from the BMW thing, the forums, the people on them to the bike and dealers another world.

First up look at prices they can be all over the place, I found mine in a Honda dealer made him an offer over the phone he turned it down flat, for some reason carried on talking and 5 minutes later said i’ve Changed my mind, went and looked at it and paid him there and then and took it home in my van, the only bike i’ve Ever had makes no difference one up or two up it’s got that much grunt...but not too everyone’s taste I can tell you, go ride one and see what you make of one but don’t get paying too much  :D

Better still keep the K and buy a GT they’ll make a great partnership.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 08:00:07 am »
Its about time to revial a secret...... for the past 4 years am one of the official presenters of the KTM bikes on each and every event named "Orange Days".  In such presentations as pilot rider demonstrate to new riders interested to buy, the abilities and capabilities of all models one by one.
With the experiences gained I have to say that the brand has a lot more to learn in many fields.
The bikes one by one are machines with completely different behaviour among them, with a huge variety of models that fit all tastes.
Mostly the big ones luck the feeling of trust on fast rides . Performance is not what someone expects .
On the smaller medium ex 790 the bike has plenty of power but this row power puts a lot of tress on suspension and brakes.
The small ones 390 etc really are bikes that each and every rider can achive maximum satisfaction riding to the limit. Personally favourite. 
In all the best ones are the dirt track bikes where the brand is at its best.
A big negative in all, are suspension where a lot has left to be done and the plethora of Chinese not first quality made electronics where i do not expect any improvements.
The 1290GT personally was and stills remains a disappointing highly vibraring bike on speeds above 160kms, the front really moves .   
Embrace the wind.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 12:46:36 pm »
Wow! The secrets we keep, eh :P

That is very valuable insight thanks Costas. The 1290, particularly the naked one, has always had an attraction to me, but at least the quality question remained a niggle. Very interesting to read your other firsthand experiences and thoughts, so thanks again :).
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 12:50:23 pm »
A mate of mine had to have a gearbox repair on his 1290 with only 16,000 miles on it. It was three years old and KTM gave no goodwill and it cost him about 1700 quid. He sold it once repaired.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 02:30:24 pm »
I pretty much concur with that regarding suspension and nearly found out in a terminal way. Factory suspension settings on my 950sm were downright dangerous. Not enough compression on back and hardly any rebound on front which allowed back to pump down accelerating out of bumpy corners (we have a lot in Ireland) and the front to ping back. Discovered this issue overtaking a line of cars on a narrow road when it suddenly went into a lock to lock slapper vicious enough to bend lock stop bolts and sprain my wrist. We wont talk about damage to my kecks. Probably as a result of all the issues the KTM forums are really good and the fix was only a few clicks away. They also informed me about all the other issues I'd have to sort sooner or later (water pump seals, sprag, regulator/rectifier).  Would never buy a new KTM but if you are handy with the spanners they are a good value used buy as they depreciate a lot. I still lust after a last model (twin plug) RC8r.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:32:00 pm by armstrongracer »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 04:23:58 pm »
If the KTM I bought was going to be an only bike maybe I'd have viewed things differently, but I've had a brand new bike(Triumph) that didn't last 6 weeks and for me the biggest risk by far was the electric suspension which I have avoided like the plague over the years, I'll take an Ohlins or Wilbers any time you like.

Have to say finger pointing at KTM's on a K forum really is throwing stones in glass houses, because the heap of junk they produced in September 2004 I've no idea how they ever sold another K.

Re my bike, rode it enough to realise how much I/we liked it and then cracked on with it, had friends bring back a Moto Hooligan filter from the States and if we are talking about secrets would certainly be fun to explain who they are( it ain't going to happen) bought a PC of ebay fitted it myself, had it run up and a dyno with a nice print out and its stood in the garage ever since covid restrictions, at some I'll get to ride it and then when I have a bench mark in my head will fit the other bits and bobs

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 05:39:53 pm »
Wow - nice wheels!   8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 07:22:48 pm »
Very nice wheels.  I'll bet they make a difference.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org