Author Topic: Akrapovic k1200s  (Read 22482 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: Akrapovic k1200s
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2015, 09:18:34 pm »
I have some fj bits and pieces up to to no good in my garage I was going to take back to him. If I can find some time we should organise a trip when you get back.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2015, 11:31:25 am »
Well, yesterday turned out to be an interesting day after all.

I had arranged to meet up with Martin at J11 M4 for a swapsy ride and having told me when he was leaving White CIty at five past six I set off for a 7 o'clock meet up.

When I got to the Shell station I found a text saying he was stuck on the M4 at the M25 junction as there was a biker down and the motorway was closed. He eventually arrived at about twenty past having been allowed through once the police arrived on scene although the biker wasn't moving; a really sobering moment just ahead of a swapsy meet-up. Whoever he was, we hoped he was OK, but it wasn't looking good from what Martin said.

Anyway, to the reason for the meet-up, Martin's dreaded vibrations. We swapped a few pleasantries then swapped bikes and headed off for a quick blast down the A34 to check out the problem.

So, first impressions.

A BMW low seat (which Martin doesn't need, but which came with the bike) is one hell of a bend for my 33" inside legs; but it does mean I can get both knees down! At a standstill   ;D

The vibrations are a real pig and much worse than I expected. Obvious at 4,700 to 5,000 rpm and excruciating on the over-run through the bars, the pegs, the seat and the bodywork along my thighs. I have never ridden a 12 or 13 with any vibrations like this at this specific engine speed.

And, having just climbed off my bike and ridden Martin's with the same engine at the same ambient temperature, I can assure you that the vibes on Martin's bike are not 'normal'! Mine doesn't do it and I don't know any who has a bike that does do it.

If this were my bike I would be reluctant to ride it with those vibes as it was just plain painful. No amount of Grip Puppies or whoopy cushions would damp that out.

My impression is that this is a really hard, metallic vibration, so nothing like an out of true tyre sort of vibe and not like the vibes I get on mine at 6,000 rpm which is nowhere near as harsh and is really only noticeable (to me) through the bars and not through the rest of the bike, unlike when the engine bolts were all loose when it could be felt through the earth!

The bike is going in for its 24K service in the next week or so and as the 18K was done by the non-franchised selling dealer, Martin is getting the BMW guys to give the bike its real 18K service and go over the bike with a fine toothed torque wrench.

Brian (who thinks Martin had a lucky escape as he bought the bike from the same dealer who is trying to sell the matt black vinyl-wrapped K12S that used to belong to Bill (b b b off the old site) and which had the awful stumbling, stuttering problem that even Vines couldn't sort out and which he eventually traded for an R12GS and rode off into the sunset)

PS Please, if you read this before test-riding that bike, please, please, please don't buy it! I really don't want a disappointed owner with that bike in here.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:35:05 am by Phmode »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2015, 11:41:28 am »
Martin, in all supporting engine to frame bolts big special design washers exist and are supposed to be changed from time to time let them check or even better have them change at list the back easier ones for your bike.
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2015, 06:37:54 pm »
Full service of 18k and 24k combined plus new set of head bearings = vibration hugely diminished. Next round of neck wringing commenced....

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2015, 06:32:33 am »
Thanks for the update , will take a look on  them next time in.
Embrace the wind.

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2015, 08:17:21 pm »
The character you are referring to is Quagmire and the series is Family Guy
Watchin you Focker