Author Topic: Givi S954 Smart Phone/Sat Nav Holder  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
Givi S954 Smart Phone/Sat Nav Holder
« on: March 01, 2015, 12:56:55 pm »
As said in another thread Ive decided that for the amount of actual use it gets Im not gonna spend hundreds, so instead I spent £25 on this(Got a special deal, normally £40 odd). The phone, app and even my data cost me nada as its all company supplied.

Yes, its a bit well, large, I think Givi do other smaller versions but this one will also hold a lot of car type navs, its also a faff to get the phone in and set up. The app itself  called "Here Drive", must be a Bristolian app, Steve F will get that one.

Its ok, not brilliant by any means but does the job of getting from A to B in the UK, although the maps themselves are on the phone it doesnt hold much in the way of postcodes but as long as you have a data signal will find it, the plus is that you can search for places as you would on Google and it will generally find it and signal allowing warn you of traffic hold-ups etc. It appears fairly waterproof but also comes with a cover for when the heavens really open. I may try mounting it above the clocks at a later date but the bracket it comes with wont fit the screen bar, but actually its easier to glance at out of the corner of my eye than the factory mount I had on the GT and the screen and type is clearer for me than the Nav IV.

So, not for everyone, the avid planners amongst you would probably say its useless, but for me who just occasionally wants to find my way through an unfamiliar city its ok, and the voice directions come through to my System 6 Bluetooth loud and clear.

£400 plus or £40 you pays your money.........................
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
Re: Givi S954 Smart Phone/Sat Nav Holder
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 05:29:26 pm »
As I wanted a sat nav for overseas touring as well as UK use for both bike and car, I've opted for the TT V5 Premium pack. Bought from Get Geared web site (who I've used previously and like their service, plus they offered best price). Just waiting its arrival now....!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 05:50:14 pm »
As I wanted a sat nav for overseas touring as well as UK use for both bike and car, I've opted for the TT V5 Premium pack. Bought from Get Geared web site (who I've used previously and like their service, plus they offered best price). Just waiting its arrival now....!
I'm sure you will be happy with it Steve. My Tomtom V5 is everything I think a Sat Nav should be. I love it and use it with ITN Converter to plan routes on the PC and then download to the unit.
The premium Tomtom kit comes with Tyre, I'm not a big fan of Tyre but it does have a useful function for planning circular routes, just tell it how many miles you want to do and it plans a circular route. That's about the only thing I like about Tyre.
ITN Converter is just so easy to use.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:15:04 pm »
Thanks Rae for the comments regarding ITN converter. I'll look into that as and when I'm set up with the TT etc! :)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:23:13 pm »
Let me know when you are ready Steve and I will send you a link.
Some anti virus software screams out when you try to download it, but this is because they are not a mainstream software house.
I have downloaded several versions all without issue so don't be alarmed if your anti virus doesn't like it.
Rae

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 04:29:59 pm »
Okay Rae, will do. Thanks.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 02:40:17 pm »
Right then! Can anybody advise on route planning software for TT V5 sat nav when used in conjunction with a Mac computer. Rae very kindly supplied me with a link, but unfortunately it's for Windows PCs only. Booger!! B marvellous all this technology eh…!!?? ::)

Thanks in advance…!