Author Topic: Front Wheel Bearings  (Read 7873 times)

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
Front Wheel Bearings
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:36:11 pm »
Yes, another case of knackered bearings found on MoT. They lasted just under 29000 miles! Whilst talking to the dealer service desk folks, they were saying that quite a few K16 bikes had knackered front wheel bearings at just 6000 miles!!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Front Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:01:35 pm »
Best add those to the daily check list then!

Brian (who made a note of when he fitted the last set and has starte a chuff chart  ;D )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:09:20 am »
Need to check them too
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 01:54:49 pm »
Mine done last week at 30500 miles

Offline frosty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:31 pm »
two sets in 74000 miles

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 09:12:48 pm »
Tom did mine at 35,000 so it appears 30 - 35,000 is the norm.

Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 06:59:30 pm »

For those interested about front wheel bearings,  my choise was NSK.
Embrace the wind.

Offline bikingviking937

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R 2011
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Rear lift kit to speed up the steering, Sport panniers and Metzeler M7RR tyres (Brilliant)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 05:39:36 pm »
Mine were shot at 22000 miles , pretty poor really!
Ones never enough!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:32:32 pm »
That'll be that jack-up kit you've got. It puts more weight on the front wheel  ;D

Offline AndyLP

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 08:07:30 am »
Front bearings shot at 59k miles, making a horrific noise coming off the motorway yesterday, luckily not far from home but was screeching rest of the way, could just picture bits of metal doing battle ripping each other apart with each wheel turn  :'(  Not changed bearings on this bike before but done many others, anything special to do as know the K is usually a 'special' bike  ;D

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 08:40:55 am »
I always check the bearings before a long run and each time I replace the tyres, Nothing special to do but as Costas shows get good quality bearings, you might have to clean and re-grease the spindle if they have not been out before. 
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 09:24:39 am »
Be careful about the axle pinch bolt locking bolts, the small ones underneath the forks. If they haven't been out in a while and with the 'orrible BMW thread lock, they can seize and shear as happened to Ron's when Tom was working on it. It's a bugger to drill them out from below if they go.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 09:25:07 pm »
Be careful about the axle pinch bolt locking bolts, the small ones underneath the forks. If they haven't been out in a while and with the 'orrible BMW thread lock, they can seize and shear as happened to Ron's when Tom was working on it. It's a bugger to drill them out from below if they go.
Is it worth heating the bolts up first to soften the thread lock? I see that a lot on youtube tutorials of anything to do with BMW bikes

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 10:10:20 am »
Avoid heat up a wheel need to explain?
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 10:18:50 am »
I haven't got access to my RepROM but it would be interesting to see what it says on the subject.

Heating the bottom of the forks with a non-flame heat gun wouldn't do much harm; the recommended heat for softening the thread-lock is 100C degs. So if you have a laser-nuclear-disintegrator thermometer you should be OK.

I'm sure Costas's brakes get that hot after a blast in downtown sunny Athens  8)