Author Topic: You looking at me ???  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Tractors are go

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: comfort/dynamic pack, 2D dash, akrapovic full system and hilltopped; extra carbon bling of front mudguard/bellypan/seat unit; all done to save weight honest, BMW sports panniers
You looking at me ???
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:23:37 pm »
Good afternoon one and all,

This starts off a bit like this.

Hello my name is Alan and I'm a K1300R owner. The gathered throng go, Welcome alan.

Let's see, mid 50's ish, passed my test on my 16th birthday, got loads of 80's Honda's several Triumphs and bmw's from an R1100R, R1200gsa (where I can be spotted on the GSer forum) and now a K1300R.

Having seen what speeds I was doing on my S1000rr, my children explained that I needed to slow down (really!) and a naked bike was the way forward. S1000r/765RS/cb100r/mt10 were all tried but....

Then a thought struck, or more truthfully one appeared on the GSer forum for sale, that'll do me.

The deal was done, I flew down and did 420 miles on a strange bike in the middle of January, back to Edinburgh what could go wrong ????

Answer, nothing. I got used to wind, something absent from a gsa.

Brakes ok, front end feels 90% like the telelever the 11r and gsa. The acceleration up to 100mph, S1000rr would struggle from a standing start.

I wish the quickshift worked both ways, but it is 10 years old. Cruise control I miss, excellent on the A9 average camera's bit. 2D dash well, cutting edge for a decade ago.

I've bought a complete Akra system, £200 more than just the end can made it a no brainer, next thing will be replacement suspension, I've used hyperpro for the gsa, and after Ducati and Aprilia am loth to go near Ohlins.

Advice for suspension with high/low compression, rebound damping and an external preload too; only one I've seen is Nitron, unless anyone can recommend someone else.

Then the body/bellypan/seat hump will be vinyl wrapped.

I almost forgot, givi mount, coated black, dark grey bike, black frame etc but bright shiny silver carrier; it'd  drive me up the wall.

Apart from that not much else really.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: You looking at me ???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:43:57 pm »

Hello my name is Alan and I'm a K1300R owner. The gathered throng go, Welcome alan.

Welcome alan  ;D

A comprehensive intro - good work!

Getting a full Akra system for a mere £200 extra may impress/irk someone here since there was discussion about the merits of such a system a few days back (darned if I can remember who, though - sitting_duck possibly?)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:14:14 pm »
Twas I. Although I only paid a couple of hundred for my can and the system I found was well into 4 figures. Still tempted mind

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:24:17 pm »
Sod off Alan!

Regards, Leader of the assembled throng   8)

PS That's just so we don't become predictable and new members don't become complacent  :D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 08:44:18 pm »
I don't like the sound of this Alan guy... :P

Hurrah another R! Glad you had a nice "getting to know you" ride :).

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

jesim1

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:22 pm »
Welcome, and good for you getting a few miles on it in January and also being on the GSer forum ;)

Everyone should have a GS at some point, but we don't all have to keep them!  ;D

James

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 12:48:37 am »
Welcome Alan. Makes a change for a youngster to come and join us.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:59 am »
Welcome, and good for you getting a few miles on it in January and also being on the GSer forum ;)

Everyone should have a GS at some point, but we don't all have to keep them!  ;D

James

There's a very small part of me that wishes I had kept my1150. There was something about riding something so goddam fwugly, especially in traffic and filtering, that always made me feel like a king of the road.

Hell, even truckers used to ease over when they spotted it in their rearviews  :o

The mini GS (Honda CRF250 Rally for the newcomers) does a reasonable impersonation without weighing over a ton but the Black Beast definitely had the edge.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 11:01:43 am »

Can I ban an admin?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 11:39:52 am »

Can I ban an admin?
Why not! You've banned the rest of us a few times  :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 11:45:36 am »
Right, that's it, yer all banned!

Brian (who's feeling a bit starchy and scratchy this morning  8) )

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 01:04:50 pm »

I can send you a back starcher if you would like  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 01:17:13 pm »
I could 3D print you one but you'd have to wait about 3 hours for it to print, and then another 3 hours for me to find your house.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 08:16:44 pm »

I can send you a back starcher if you would like  ;D

We could give them out free to new members as an inducement to join. Especially when you go on holiday  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 08:21:57 pm »
I could 3D print you one but you'd have to wait about 3 hours for it to print, and then another 3 hours for me to find your house.

Three hours? It takes the postman longer than that and a) he comes here every day and b) he is a biker mate. You stand no chance.

I really miss all those free plastic bags I used to get shoved through my letterbox every day in Newbury. Oh, and those nice God-botherers who used to try to save my soul. And the ardent salespersons attempting to get me to change my lamp-oil supplier. And the drug dealers, the car and bike thieves, the thugs, rapists and vagabonds that were my neighbours...