Author Topic: Bloody weather!!!  (Read 10432 times)

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
Bloody weather!!!
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:27:41 pm »
.... I've never rated myself a particularly good driver, prefer the bike to the car but coming home tonight from work via the A5104 was a real challenge, my car's a rwd BMW 330Ci auto so not the best for snow, and being a cheapskate she's shod with standard sports summer tyres.

A combination of planning ahead and keeping the motion up whilst nursing the controls got the old girl home! I threaded myself through several front wheel drive cars that were abandoned and took ages to go down the steep hill near me so the car never "ran" away with itself.

I genuinely think if I'd left work 10 minutes later I'd have got stuck.

Even managed to keep enough momentum to swing onto the drive and off the road.

I suspect I'll not be going to work tomorrow!

http://gwynfryn.servebeer.com

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:30:56 pm by slparry »
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Bloody weather!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 05:43:21 pm »
Good fun!

We've all been told to stay the flip away. I started off Wednesday afternoon as the snow started here and just decided that I'd rather go to Budgens and back home.

I'm in an old e46 too, 325i auto. The RWD plus the auto component made me just not want to even try! And the 255s on the back. I do miss Wales driving fun. Or maybe the invincibility or my 20s!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 09:24:16 pm »
Red snow warning here too, took today off and no fecking snow, no blizzards. Just started snowing now but I have seen doughnuts with more white stuff on them than has fallen so far. Bring on the snow or I will be as mad as hell ;D >:( >:( >:( >:(
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:24:49 pm »
As I can work from home, I have been able to admire the five inches of snow from my study window.  However, I will have to venture out tomorrow, and the roads are still pretty tricky.
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:35:23 pm »
No traction issues with my Herman Miller Aeron  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 06:37:56 am »
Here, in the Czech Republic, where they are used to long and hard winters, each village of a reasonable size has a couple of general purpose battery/diesel utility vehicles which double as waste, etc, removers in the summer and  sand dispensers with a snow plough attachment in the winter.  Every morning at about 5am the guys clear the roads so people can get to work.  No excuses, no complaints. no surprises, they just get on with it!  8)
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there are vitamins, in water - bacteria!

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 07:04:37 am »
... Southern Rail has been doing a fine job for me this week... no issues at all. Of course the kids have worked from home coz they’re wusses! 😜
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 08:48:38 am »
5 " of snow overnight and still snowing . Hurrah❄☃⛇🌨â›·🏂

gibbo

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 10:33:11 am »
All this stuff was forecast ages ago and for once the Met Office were right. Whilst I can understand those who work in essential services need to turn up, I have no sympathy for those who disregard the warnings and not only risk their lives but others trying to help them out of their induced situations.

Offline nightrider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 GT
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 03:03:28 pm »
Most of the problems around here are caused by drifting snow off the flat fields. Why don't they put hedges around fields like they used too?
Ride your bike until it hurts-and then-err ride it a bit more.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 03:09:02 pm »
Most of the problems around here are caused by drifting snow off the flat fields. Why don't they put hedges around fields like they used too?
They took the hedges out between the fields so that they could make them into bigger fields where huge harvesters could be utilised. I guese that took them out along the roads because they didn't want to cut them.

After they realised what a mistake it was to remove the hedges they subsidised the replanting of hedges.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 06:23:53 pm »
EU subsidised, wonder how long before they come down? Or am I being cynical?
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 12:16:31 am »
Four feet deep on one side of the house in the lee of the wind, nothing on the other.

Opened the garage door this morning to find two inches of snow covering everything; all my tools, unpacked removals boxes, floor, shelves, roof beams, bikes etc. etc.

Luckily it was very dry powdery Angel Dust that was blowing in through the roof tiles and it only took till 4 this afternoon to vacuum it all up with my wet'n'dry thingy. Oh, and about ten minutes every hour to hack my way into the tank to chisel all the solid ice out; wonderful thing physics!

And the good news is, fifteen minutes after I finished, it was an inch deep in there again already. But this time all my stuff is now in the house...

Was meant to drive up to Manchester to pick up the new car this morning, looking at the drive down to the road I put it off till next weekend; I could probably get out but I'd never get back in again.

You want snow Kim, I can do you a great deal on the bloody stuff....

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 08:51:39 am »

I have had enough of snow at this stage. Still stuck at home.................arghhhhh. ::) ::)

gibbo

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 09:09:13 am »
Four feet deep on one side of the house in the lee of the wind, nothing on the other.

Opened the garage door this morning to find two inches of snow covering everything; all my tools, unpacked removals boxes, floor, shelves, roof beams, bikes etc. etc.

Luckily it was very dry powdery Angel Dust that was blowing in through the roof tiles and it only took till 4 this afternoon to vacuum it all up with my wet'n'dry thingy. Oh, and about ten minutes every hour to hack my way into the tank to chisel all the solid ice out; wonderful thing physics!

And the good news is, fifteen minutes after I finished, it was an inch deep in there again already. But this time all my stuff is now in the house...

Was meant to drive up to Manchester to pick up the new car this morning, looking at the drive down to the road I put it off till next weekend; I could probably get out but I'd never get back in again.

A nice little job for you then Brian in the Spring. Strip off all the garage roof tiles and battens, install waterproof roof liner, refit battens and replace tiles OR some expanded foam here and there as a stop gap   :)