Author Topic: Musings ... ramblings :D  (Read 2061 times)

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
Musings ... ramblings :D
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:14:52 pm »
Riding to work at 6am this morning, in some very high winds and lashing rain. You know the sort of rain that's horizontal .... I got to thinking.

Of the four bikes I own my F8GS is, I think, my fave. It's certainly been the one that's most often taken out of the garage.

My R1100S Mamola BoxerCup is exceptionally "pretty" and I don't like taking it out unless the weathers nice. Sure I will (it's not a total garage queen .... and has been on a Scottish Weekend and a Minehead Weekend ;) ) but I prefer to keep it for really nice days as I have other choices.

My R80RS was a gift from my Uncle before he died, so it too, rarely comes out as there's just way too much emotional baggage attached to it. The guy was the closest I've known to a Father, he lost his left arm in a mining accident at 21 years but still rode big BMW bikes all of his life, (including having the most gorgeous R69 all of my life,) by having the clutch mounted on the throttle and his prosthetic arm would clamp to the left bar. Cancer took him a couple of years back.

My K1200GT SE, again a lot of emotional attachment as it was bought with money my Mum left me when she died in 2007. It was a tough year, I gave my previous bike, a mint K100RS, to my kid brother only to have a taxi driver kill him by poor driving on her part a couple of months later.

The K12GT is stunningly fast, stupendously comfortable and surprisingly economical (in fuel if not tyres!).... oh and finally is now handling as it should.

However, she has been a fickle beast requiring frequent returns to the dealership for various warranty jobs. In all fairness BMW have always stepped up to the plate regarding those repairs which is a credit to them and their customer service.

If I have a 500 mile day in front of me the K is the best place ever to view it from, and as such I still love it to bits. I cannot think of what to replace it with except maybe a K13GT.

But the F800GS, just like the F650 Funduro it replaced, has taken a small space in my heart for its willingness to perform, has been utterly reliable.

It's economy is at times unbelievable! The handling belies its knobbly Heidenau K60 Scout tyes with an incredible willingness to corner.

So pleased was I with it that I nursed it up to 10,000 miles and never took it over 5000 rpm (80mph). Now she's reached 10,000 miles I've started exploring the upper rev range occasionally and she spins over nicely when asked! But on the other side it's a pleasant place to sit while exploring the tiniest backroads and mild trails.

--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Musings ... ramblings :D
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 06:23:53 pm »
Nice history Steve and I applaude you for your loyalty to the brand.

I never got on with the mini GS, maybe after having a real one it just seems too small and cramped.

Brian (who sems to recall that all rain is horizontal at K speeds  8) )

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 08:11:38 pm »

I never got on with the mini GS, maybe after having a real one it just seems too small and cramped.

Williams BMW gave me a 12LC Adventure this weekend and I can see the attraction, they're an awesome package ..... however ... for totally road use my K is a far superior place to be and for mild off road trails the 8GS is better.

The 8GS has surprised me by slowly wheedling it's way into my affections, and has proven far more "usable" in different roles than I'd have thought.

Tim, how are you finding yours? Seeing as you've done similar to me in coming from a GT?
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 08:43:29 pm »

Williams BMW gave me a 12LC Adventure this weekend and I can see the attraction, they're an awesome package ..... however ... for totally road use my K is a far superior place to be and for mild off road trails the 8GS is better.

The 8GS has surprised me by slowly wheedling it's way into my affections, and has proven far more "usable" in different roles than I'd have thought.

Tim, how are you finding yours? Seeing as you've done similar to me in coming from a GT?

For what I want it for Steve its OK(GS), no, better than ok, its really the bike(Or type of bike) I should have had all along, the GT was pure extravagance, ridiculously expensive to run but I did enjoy it, most of the time, in the end though I never fully trusted it to get me home, even if It never actually stranded me.
I like the character of the GS, the GT didnt really have character as such, it was just all about that engine, bonkers, which I suppose is a characteristic in itself.
I needed to get off a hyper bike, law of averages was running against me, and bank account was running out!!!!!!

I still miss the big engine though but as much as I thought the LC GS was quite a tool, I would never buy one, Ill probably stick with an adventure style bike next time but reckon I could be back to the Trumpets, really miss shaft drive, so that would be an Explorer then, or maybe be really silly and go Guzzi.
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.