Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 131684 times)

Swindon Andy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200S
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2018, 12:13:53 pm »
...it may not!!

Went out to go to the gym straight after posting the previous comments about the Swiss watch reliability of the Honda...dead as a dodo.

When I got this I needed a sat nav mount and decided that I would investigate the TomTom route as well as the Garmin. So, with both a Garmin mount and a TomTom mount on the beast I started a not very scientific comparison of the two.

The K only has a Garmin mount and the 660 lives on it as a rule. The TomTom therefore lives on the Honda and this is where familiarity of one device breeds contempt for another. Although I turned the TomTom off the last time I 'used' the bike, I had turned the ignition on (by mistake) when I moved it in the garage. This wakes the TomTom up and because it is mounted straight across the battery, said battery is now dead.

No big deal I hear you say; you've got that power pack jump start thingy. And herein lies the tale.

To get to the battery on the K, two Torx screws and Bob's your wotsit.

To get to the battery on the Honda (which you will never need to do because they run like Swiss watches) you have to remove the side panel. Two bolts and pull it off, once the seat is removed.

To remove the seat, you first have to remove two seat monting bolts. No problem...except they are two of the four bolts securing my rear rack. So, off with the top box and unbolt the rack. Remove the seat. Remove the side panel.

By now I have forgotten why I was doing all this in the first place and anyway, how the hell would you manage all this on a dark wet night up a muddy lane?

So, the first thing is to buy an Optimate fly-lead so I don't need to do all of this to keep the battery topped up. Done!

Next, if I ever do need to jump the thing I'll need something more than an Optimate fly-lead so I opt for a 500mm Anderson SB175 170Amp fly-lead as well, together with a pair of Anderson genderless plug/sockets to adapt the Hilka Jump Starter for use with the croc clips for the K or the Anderson fly-lead for the Honda. Done!

At this point I get carried away and plump for another Optimate so I can keep both bikes topped up in the winter.  A new Optimate4 comes wih the fly-lead I've already bought so that's a waste of money but I find one cheap on eBay which only has the BMW CanBus charging lead. I make a cheeky offer and it is on its way. Job done!

For anyone who is following this and is remotely ( 8) ) interested, I'll post up the part numbers once I have tested it all.

So much for bland and Swiss-watch like  ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #361 on: October 29, 2018, 06:20:16 pm »
After son#2 moved home prior to leaving for Australia, he worked hard to pack all his stuff into the garage and make room for his blade which is being laid up for the duration. I opened the garage door yesterday and to cut a long sweary story short by lunchtime had rearranged it again so I could find everything. I came across a large mystery cardboard package and Lo! Finally TomL's fairings have finally made it home
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:36:42 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #362 on: October 29, 2018, 10:48:08 pm »
Good to hear ;)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #363 on: November 05, 2018, 05:16:31 pm »
Mailshot from Motolegends - Halvarssons sale started, from the look of it discounts in excess of 20%

https://www.motolegends.com/sale?Brand=Halvarssons

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 11, 2018, 06:12:23 pm »
Run up the north coast to Bude to treat the withdrawal symptoms.  First cold fingers of the season.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2018, 12:11:51 pm »
You need some Barkbuster Storms my friend.. :D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2018, 12:37:21 pm »
Need to get out more and toughen up after the summer.
Lucky day for me. Going home gave it the beans down an empty stretch of the A30, let the engine stretch its legs to where you really really shouldn't really go. Pulled in for a cuppa. Pulled back out, blipped to about 90 and then rolled back to 75 ish for what reason I can't remember and noticed a rapidly approaching set of lights. Past they went in an unmarked X5 and a quick twinkle of the blues in the rear window. Ooohhhhhh shiiiit here we go again I thought, and waited for the arm out of the window pointing at the next layby. Off went the lights, we settled down to 70. He indicated off at the next junction, I waited for the follow me/ stop /sign/ arm out of window and nothing. I pulled alongside as he slowed on the slip road and gave him a thankyou very very much wave.
I tootled along the A30 to where I got off feeling that for once I got lucky

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2018, 02:07:45 pm »
Courteous riding is definitely worth something. Not just with policemen, of course.
Your wave may save one of us a ticket down that way another year. Good work!

Online Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #368 on: November 12, 2018, 05:14:09 pm »
I'm with you on the courteous thoughts. I've had similar in the car - I'm a bit naughty with speed but do tame things when it gets busy and at all times like to think I'm courteous. Twice I've had the blue light twinkle with no further effect.
Once got stopped for a chat/warning, but think he really wanted to look over the car. 90 on the M4 is normal for commuters, but I couldn't tell him that on a Saturday lunchtime, could I?

My pal was a speed cop, he tells me he wouldn't book anyone under 90mph unless they were driving like a cock.

By the way, another pal is ex police, he now mans a speed camera van. He says there are cameras all round, so the front facing camera gets your speed, the rear facing camera your bike plate. Unless it's raining, the plate camera might be obscured by water on the windscreen.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 12, 2018, 06:41:28 pm »
So, where did he come from Martin?

I never venture outside my local 'comfort zone' without the reassurance of my Garmin yelping at me about speed camera sites. The £20 a year and the user sourced weekly updates have saved me time and time again.

I'm fairly religious about 20, 30 and 40 limits, at least during the day, treat 50's with the contempt they deserve and ignore the rest just as religeously.

However, the number of high-end, top-of-the-range cars from the obvious marques with one or two smart occupants are far outnumbered by the run-of-the-mill stuff and I treat all of the former with suspicion until my hackles calm down. So far, so good.

Of course, I could stay within the limits!

Nah, be reasonable... ::)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 12, 2018, 08:17:05 pm »

Of course, I could stay within the limits!

Nah, be reasonable... ::)

If you stay within the limits, you'll fall alseep Brian. I definitely 'detune' in a car, compared to a bike - hopefully not that much, but still a little.

Going a little over the limit* on a bike keeps me alert.
But going way over and it's tunnel vision territory. Well, for me, anyway. Which means the info is coming in too quick. And time to slow down.

*your limit may vary  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 12, 2018, 10:12:28 pm »
I wouldn't give me a licence...I fall asleep at anything approachimg a reasonable speed.

Having changed the big A6 diesel quattro for a much smaller and almost frighteningly rapid S3 quattro I am now reliving my youth on four wheels as well as two.

I'll probably die of a heart attack from the frustration of having the entire population of Herefordshire driving around at 35 mph in national speed limit areas and while this bothers me not a jot on the BM it results in kamikaze overtakes in the car, which accelerates almost as rapidly as the bike but is slightly more difficult to 'land'  :o

My 'relaxation' motoring is now aboard the little Honda which will overtake. With enough advance warning   ::)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 29, 2018, 05:01:56 pm »
Been a bit quiet on here recently. Work and family issues getting in the way of getting on the bike. Went out for a bimble today weathere was a bit shit but I was getting severe withdrawal symptoms. Bike started first time after standing nearly 8 weeks outside.  Exhaust has blown a hole somewhere under the engine. Throttle was sticking again by the time I got back.  Insurance renewal hysterically high. Just about to open drinks cabinet.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 29, 2018, 08:16:12 pm »
I know the feeling about the exhaust.

If it is coming from the front of the belly pan it will either be the 'Y' junction where 1 and 4 meet or the 'Y' junction where 2 and 3 meet.

If the blow is coming from the rear, more likely, then it will be the 'Y' where 1+4 and 2+3 meet. This is the easiest to get welded as it is a much wider inclusive angle in the 'Y'. However, the idiot who welded mine (who claimed 'I used to make exhaust manifolds for a living') didn't bother to make up a template to bolt the header flanges to so it warped like buggery when he hit it with the gun...scrap!

I bought one second hand from Germany, leaked in the same place...scrap!

I spent £600 on the pukka thing and forgot all about it. Then sold the bike!!

Crappy Histmas Martin  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile