Author Topic: System 6 Evo Helmet  (Read 2827 times)

Offline 8ig_steve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600GTLE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Using old K1200GT Top Box
System 6 Evo Helmet
« on: June 06, 2015, 09:47:26 pm »
I have used a system 5 helmet for 8 years and been very happy with it. The lining has become a little worn and because of it's age I thought it was time to change.

I tried a System 6 evo and it seemed Ok but now that I have had it a few weeks I know it doesn't come close to the quality of the system 5

The first problem is that it is noisy not visor leaks but blustery buffeting type noise, raising the visor stops this to some extent I think because it is acting as a peak and changes the aerodynamics. I blame the lack of internal filling where the flip down sun shade resides

The ventilation is poor, riding it for the first time in the recent hot weather I just can not get the air flow through it that I am used to.

The shape of the back of the helmet is raised which means that the back of my neck gets cold, this also means it does not fit in my BMW top box without being tipped forward (on my gloves) to compensate for the high back.

The visor is flimsy and really needs to be opened & closed with both hands because it twists as it is moved. Also the visor comes down with the flip front unlike with the System 5 where it stayed up.

The peripheral vision is poor,  my vision is obscured by the helmet much more on the system 6 than the 5 when I look to the side (how safe is that?).

All in all just a very poor cheapened design and I am lumbered with £400 kit that I hate.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
Re: System 6 Evo Helmet
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:03:44 pm »
Interesting comments Steve. I recently switched from a Shoei Multitec (flip front) to a Schuberth C3 Pro (flip front). Before settling on the Schuberth, I tried umpteen different makes, including the BMW System 6 Evo. I finally narrowed my choice down to the Shoei Neotec or the Schuberth. Re the System 6, the fit for me just wasn't as comfortable as my final two choices. I find the Schuberth good in all respects, but when it comes to inserting loudspeakers for my Scala intercom, there is only minimal room available in the ear recesses, whereas the Shoei doesn't have that problem.
When I tried on a System 6 Evo lid, I found the peripheral vision okay. I can't comment on the ventilation but price-wise it compared favourably with the competition.
Just my two penneth.....

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 09:17:13 am »
Your observations and comments Steve are absolutely correct, those system 6 were the first effort made by BMW to make a helmet at their new design and manufacture facilities, afraid they did so with an unsatisfactory result.
They claim that new design had improved all aspects, still I'm not convinced.
System 5 is superb both in peripheral vision and its silent less, downside the lack of a dark visor that 6 has but with a good pair of sun glasses this can be eliminated, ventilation is not so good just adequate, and intercom is perfect.  My misses and I love them after 7 years we keep them in good order, two times for each one had to change batteries, found for 5 euros in the net.
5's among with the Sport tricolor helmet and the fisrst open helmets for scooters, were the last products made by Schuberth for BMW, that partnership ended in 2011.
About intercom my Inter phone 4 system is really started to produce almost daily issues especially with connection, something the new pair of cables have not cured, so as a second daily set I'm thinking to follow the road towards Scala too.
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 10:34:57 am »
Don't rule out Sena Costas. I am waiting for a report from Brian about his new 20S. The Sena website info seems good I especially like the external microphone so that you can hear ambient sound, especially useful when you pull up next to someone or go into a garage to get petrol. There have been lots of times in a garage when the assistant is talking away and you can't hear a word they say and they look at you as though you are a complete numpty.
Waiting for your report Brian  8)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 01:13:58 pm »
Sena 10C, my God what a technology revolution, Thanks Rae I'm sold to it.
Now need to fund such a purchase.
Here are its features, for future buyers like me.

10C-Features
Bluetooth 4.1
Unibody design for Bluetooth headset and video camera
1080p Full HD video with 3.5MP still shot image capture
Video mode: 1080p:30fps, 720p:30/60fps
Versatile photo mode: shot, burst and timelapse shot functions
Video Tagging
Pitch angle adjustment
Lens rotation up to 30 degrees
Bluetooth intercom up to 1.6 kilometers (1.0 mile), in open terain
Four-way intercom
Voice prompts
Smart Audio Mix™ to mix your voice and music into your video
Smartphone App for iPhone and Android
Advanced Noise Control™
Universal Intercom™
Music sharing
Built-in FM radio tuner with a station scan and save function
Optional Handlebar Remote support (not included)
Easy operation by versatile Jog Dial
Water resistant for use in inclement weather
Can be used while charging on road trips
Support microSD 32GB memory card (not included)
Firmware upgradeable
Price: 399 euros
Extra features
Handle bar remote control unit, price: 99 euros
Helmet clap kit, price: 47,95 euros

Embrace the wind.