Author Topic: The mighty K refuses to start!!!  (Read 11724 times)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: The mighty K refuses to start!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 10:42:27 pm »
The one in Italy last year had no insured warranty! Still both changed foc!

Brian (who can't understand why this is so difficult for dealers to understand)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 12:06:43 pm »
First the issue with someone having to change 7 switches is entirely with his dealer not issuing the new but installing again and again the old first version. We had a similar case incident with a rider in the old forum back in 2012.
All k13 bikes manufactured until Dec 2012 are now subject to general recall.
S100RR are subject to a dealer recall for switches replacement.
As said before there are three types of recall:
First case is General Recall piece for piece in this case dealers should notify costumer asap or BMW central office for every country should issue a statement to at list a major circulation related magazine or a newspaper.
The Good will Recall, this subject to a written justification and photos supporting it by your dealer, this starts at 20% of parts retail price and goes all the way up to compensation of full cost for part or parts replacement, note here that labor is never and cannot be included.
Third is the Dealers Recall upon Complain, when dealer in accordance to an already issued authorization-suggestion by BMW changes a part and then submits a statement and the old part back to BMW.
Switches were subject to the third rule case and then became first case sometime in the middle of 2013.
At list this is how things work here. And for the record any one can submit an email to BMW main HQ, requesting any kind of info, the response is always quick and precise and is always received. How dealers look at you with this email answer at hand is another story.
We riders here after being fet up with many fuck ups by local BMW HQ change the letter or lately the email with complains recipient to BMW Germany mains and immediately all matters are cleaned and solved. Dealers have now changed their policy towards us drastically, for the last three years issues magically and properly are dealt professionally.
No more major issues with local stealers. AAA another useful and dreadful tool they are afraid is social media complains like Facebook then the answer is back to you in matter of hours.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:38:38 pm by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline frosty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 04:32:24 pm »
As far as I can remember the seven or so replacements I had were before the new design of switch clusters were available . As soon as the new were available I got them.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 10:12:56 pm »
are these new switch cluster, with the Japanese style indicator switches better than the older BMW style indicator switch units ? or did they also suffer problems (can't see the need to change systems myself)

The older style switches do pack up occasionally but not any where near as much as the newer ones. I once found a very plausible explanation as to why BMW have had so many issues with these late switches, it was all to do with dissimilar material expansion/contraction and the way the switch is designed. In a nutshell this guy reckoned they had used car technology without thinking about the vastly different temperatures the switches could be subjected to on a handlebar. Bring back semaphores I say, I loved them on the old morris minors etc, maybe BMW could incorporate them into a new System Helmet, at speed though they could snap your neck I suppose and hazard warning might be a challenge what with both flipping up and down, sorry I digress, Tramadol is pretty strong in it. :o
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 01:27:27 pm »
I though you were banned; again!

Brian (who used to have to thump the B post to get his flippers to flip out and then thump them again to get them to flip in)

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 08:40:16 pm »
Agreed. As soon as the new switch was fitted I noticed a more positive feel to all operations of the new switch.

I will definitely mention all your helpful comments when my bike goes in for its service. However, I do not have the extended warranty so doubt BMW will feel obliged to help me out as the bike was 4 years old when the switch failed.

Cheers for now,
Tony

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 11:22:54 pm »
Just to say I collected my bike from Lovetts yesterday afternoon with a shiny new RH switchgear cluster fitted ! How satisfying to a) walk out the dealers without paying a penny and b) start the bike with a knowing smugness !! ;D

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:28 pm »
Good that you are sorted Steve.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 03:36:06 pm »
Good news someone with good news , hurey
Embrace the wind.

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 10:47:22 pm »
My LH cluster failed on my 12GT and I was told the extended warranty doesn't cover switchgear, a sharp word with BMW customer services meant I only had to pay 10% of its retail value.

I was told it had failed because of corrosion, the sharp word entailed letting the BMW guy know that I had a 30 year old Suzuki in the back yard that as out in all weathers, and its switches still worked. Therefore if the BMW switchgear failed due to corrosion then it clearly was not fit for purpose as it's entirely reasonable to expect a motorcycle switchgear to be subject to all that the weather can throw at it.

--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 12:34:20 pm »
It's the dealers desk ion to charge or not , at list 10 per send is a good deal. Cannot add more. For the corrosion and the wheather performance again it's a Bimer a new after 2000 Bimer what else I can add.
Damn bikes their are eating our brains and dalararies and pensions but when we ride them they put a great grim in our faces that makes us forget everything , until next morning .
Embrace the wind.