Author Topic: Coincidences and the weather  (Read 41347 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Coincidences and the weather
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 07:09:29 pm »
One hates to even think about asking this question Martin, but here goes...

Having done the unthinkable and kept a BMW well past its sell-by date of 40,000 miles, are you intent on keeping this one and riding it into the ground?

Brian (who sold his 1150GS at 42 and his K12 at 38, so on average he stuck to the rule  ::) )

PS Nice little hairdresser's car on the drive mate  8)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 09:05:28 pm »
First I heard of a sell by date
I have a habit of running stuff into the ground. I had my original FJ for over 20 years. Not sure id get much over £3k for the K as it is now with the mileage and its worth far more than that to me. Its in reasonable nick (8 years old, there's paint bubbling and i'm wearing the paint off the plastic in some places, there spots of rust here and there) and worth maintaining. Now i'm back in the UK for a while the monthly mileage is probably about to head back to 1500 or more. I reckon if I keep using it every day and keep BMW servicing it it should be OK for a few miles yet. When it wears out I might get a 13 , never say never. I have a r1200RS for a courtesy bike tomorrow, never say never
As for the hairdresser, my wife loves her car, to the extent I just had to shell out £2k for a new engine after the cam belt dropped a few teeth at 105k miles. Shes up in brum in my nicely run in 535d with 182k miles on it.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 11:16:06 am »
Big brother just caught up with me. Because of my ban in April bmw insurance wont allow me a courtesy bike. And there was me about to get my hands on a r12rs

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 11:39:39 am »
Miserable sods! It wasn't for killing a bus queue full of nuns and children, it was only making progress, occifer!

Honestly, they build a bike that can do warp speed and then tell you off when you use it  ::)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 02:40:42 pm »
Complete new three seal set going in rear hub. The rear pads are contaminated with oil but are almost at the limit anyway so new pads. Seeing as this service also includes oil, filter, plugs, air filter, valve clearances, etc, the  TPS will have to wait til the budget allows, and as for the centre stand I idly asked about (£180 fitted)...

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 05:56:25 pm »
If I didn't have bad luck i'd have no luck atall
They've broken the pulling tool (specially made by bmw to be weaker than the hub so they don't break the hub) while trying to pull the hub apart so they can do the seals. :-\
However while checking the valve clearances they had a good look at the radiator and whilst  there are some signs of corrosion its in good nick so they sprayed some protective gunk on it from inside. Hopefully another season secured

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 06:25:22 pm »
Probably all those recalled bikes having their hubs pulled. One wonders if they heated it with the special waffle iron first  ::)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:57 pm »
Couldn't get a replacement tool today (let slip it had cost him about £80k to set up workshop in bmw training and tooling, hope the training was better than the tools) today and I have a 300 mile blip to Bridgewater tomorrow so they stuck it all back together with new bevel drive oil and the old brake pads. Appears to have lost about 30mls of oil out of the bevel. Go back later.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 11:50:55 am »
So mad with myself. Scratched fairing on wall at side of drive  >:(

Went to get punctured tyre back from benhams this morning. Even bigger sale, autojumble too of a big pile of parts and accessories. And that one piece oversuit I was looking for at the start of this thread? Bmw one reduced from £120 cost me £52.50 thankyou. See if this lasts any longer than previous ones

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 02:10:31 pm »
So mad with myself. Scratched fairing on wall at side of drive  >:(
Bugger >:(
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 03:00:33 pm »
Welcome to the club. That's why the mudguard on the 12 was re-sprayed so many times; a bloody Greek urn outside the front door which I managed to not see many times and two of those times resulted in gouges up the front.

Think yourself lucky you don't have a 13 as the fairing is wider and more slab-sided.

I await effectivity and longevity reports on the BMW rain suit.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 08:39:18 pm »
And 13 doesn't have the inside protective "mushroom " in the right side simply cause doesn't fit. One and some of the first edition 12 didn't,  but then it was offered as a an additional part, detail offered for clarification.   
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 08:53:17 am »
Back in today to get the seals done but the technician has called in sick. Not that I'm atall suspicious >:(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 08:05:04 pm »
Not a cynical bone in your body  ::)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 02:50:49 pm »
The rain suit has just done a weeks service and about 750 miles. The colour (formerly known as yellow but now just unpleasantly dirty) certainly catches the tin box drivers eye although one lady drove onto a roundabout as I was rounding it without looking in which case it doesnt matter what colour you are.
It is relatively easy to get on as the gussets on the very long (above knee) zips are large, to the point they catch in the zip til you develop a knack. The suit seals way better than anything I've worn for years,even though its unlined I have dispensed with my thin long sleeved top for anything above zero and up to 90 mins. I had to stop and put the top on last night after about 80 miles but it was -3C   and foggy and I had another 80 miles to go. There are no drafts or air leaks atall. Doesn't flap on the wind. One small external pocket is handy. Its been through wet bits but downpours yet but think I got a bargain