Author Topic: Getting dowloaded routes into a Garmin exactly as they are in Basecamp!  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
I have struggled with one aspect of Garmin ownership for the last 8 years or so and that has been the total inability to get a route that I have downloaded from someone or somewhere, to display EXACTLY the same in the Garmin device as it does in Basecamp or even Mapsource as was. This was just as true on my old brick Streepilot 2820 as it is on my new sparkly Garmin 660.

Sometimes it just puts straight lines into the route on the device and even clicking it and then hitting 'Recalculate' almost never gives success. Editing the route and putting multiple extra waypoints in just adds to the confusion.

I have made sure I am using the same maps on the computer as on the device, still no joy.

I have fooled around with 'Fastest' vs 'Shortest' till I am blue in the face!

Tonight, for the first time ever, I have success and I almost wept with joy!

I finally found some sense in a Youtube video which showed some of the steps I never even knew were needed and some more clues on a website which highlighted a possible incompatibility between Basecamp and the Garmin 660/BMW Navigator whatever!

Here are the steps that guaranteed me success; it isn't as straightforward as I imagined nor as obvious as it should be but this is what I found works every time.

Firstly, in Basecrap, got to Preferences and turn OFF all the options in 'Transfer'! In some installations these are set 'ON' by default.

Import your route into BC and make sure it is as you want it to be. If you get straight line routes at this stage, simply select the 'hand' tool and right click on the magenta line route, then click 'Recalculate'. This will put the route in the same place as it was on the original source.

Next, select and export your route to your device making sure you export both the route and the waypoints.

Disconnect the device from the computer and wait for it to boot. At this point, you can select 'Where To' and select your route from 'Custom Routes' but if you do you will probably be disappointed as I have always been.

So, here are the steps I have NEVER performed before and are the ones that make it all work for me. Maybe everyone else always does this, but you all know how dim I am!

Go to Tools>MyData>Import Data>Routes

The device will search for all available routes and list them. This step can take some time, be patient.

Select all the routes for which you want to import the data;(in other words, all the routes you really want to use on the device) and then select 'Import'.

If you are importing only one route, a box will appear saying 'Calculating. 0%' and after an eternity it will say 'Data Imported Successfully'.

If you are importing more than one route, the box will say 'Importing 1 of X' and 'Calculating. 0%' etc.

Now, when you go to 'Where To'>'Custom Routes' and select a route, it will, as if by magic, appear EXACTLY as it does in Basecrap. No recalculating nonsense, no phaffing with settings etc.

Now, something else I never knew; there is a limit of 20 routes on the device and for some strange reason, when I do all the above, I end up with duplicate routes in some cases so if you do too, then you need to delete the duplicate routes which normally have a '1' at the end of the route name.

So, if you are having the same 5h1++y experience as I have had, try doing it 'properly' and see if it works for you.

Brian (who never realised how dim he really is till this all fell into place)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Take a look at these Brian. Ron (Drunwrecker) sent them to me.

I don't use Basecamp or have a 660 but they might help with your problems. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf31DO7B438

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnn0Uamy73Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=797dbfr6xGM

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Interesting stuff Tom, thanks for that! I need to go figure why his copy of Basecrap is so much more 'user friendly' than my copy; perhaps the Mac version is different.

Having struggled wtih this for years, I can now import routes with some degree of confidence although Basecrap itself doesn't follow the route plotted on Tyre very well.

If you take the routes to St.Girons for the Old Gits trip (sorry to those who aren't going and to those who can't see what I am talking about) there are some interesting small roads that Basecrap refuses to put the route down. It sends you up to a waypoint, does a U-turn, back to the main road, round the long way, then back up the other side of the small and interesting road to the next waypoint, then another U-turn and back to the main road.

We had this in Italy last year where David's Garmin kept on telling him to do a U-turn and do what I have described above but we pressed on convinced the road was a go'er. It turned out it was not and the Garmin was correct in not putting us up over the top; it was nothing more than a goat track complete with goatherd and goats coming wandering down it, OK for 4x4's and off-road bikes but not too much fun on a Sports Tourer.

Brian (who says onward and upward and sod the sat nav  :o )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
And petty to those like me who wish they could join you.
Any way it sounds like all are in order now, no worries about the rad it will be done, how many of you are participating?
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Off this site it is only Tom and myself as well as David (black-k1) who is the organiser and James Willis who only posts to advertise the Old Gits runs; in total there will be 18 of us, should have been 19 but one succumbed to an accident with a Polish cyclist, not that his nationality has anything to do with his bad riding of course!

Brian (who thinks Costas could ride over and join us in Spain and take the hotels booked for the guy who can't make it  8) )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
Don't forget Ron (Drumwrecker) with his newly acquired K1300S (without tyre pressure monitors).

Of course we know don't we Brian that they downrated the K1200S and brought it out as the K1300S. ;)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Sounds wonderful, enjoy
Embrace the wind.

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
When in Spain and Portugal last summer two of us used Garmin, one a TomTom. There were roads on the TomTom which simply didn't exist on the Garmin, and vice versa. These were minor roads but all maps were up to date. Great fun!
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Old Gits rule No. 1 is that the sat nav of the leader is right at all times, even if it is wrong, which it never is because of rule No. 1  ::)

Brian (who only spotted Ron had joined the madhouse after he answered Costas about the attendees; every offence intended even if he fdidn't know at the time)

Offline Costas

• View Profile
The leader is not always right. But he is always leading the pack.
Embrace the wind.

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
Re: Getting dowloaded routes into a Garmin exactly as they are in Basecamp!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:20:02 pm »
I've been setting up my riding companions 660's for our forthcoming trip to the highlands.

I couldn't figure why the route I'd created of say 250 miles would, once uploaded to the 660, come to 320 miles or so. Then I found that it was changing while uploading to motorcycling route rather than fastest!

Took me ages to find and once found was an easy fix :)
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting dowloaded routes into a Garmin exactly as they are in Basecamp!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 03:01:18 pm »
A really neat Garmin feature, cos us motorcyclists always want to take the wibbly-wobbly route, even if we are nipping to the corner shop  :o

Brian (who thinks they must be bonkers over there)