Author Topic: Sat Nav Mount ?  (Read 12703 times)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
Sat Nav Mount ?
« on: April 06, 2015, 07:19:17 pm »
Please advise best method of attaching Sat Nav Garmin 350 to K1300 GT, is it Wundelech's ?
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Sat Nav Mount ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:29:20 pm »
Does the 13 have the redundant mirror holes

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:03:14 pm »
No, I don't have any redundant mirror holes on my K13GT, so presumably that's a no then ?
Jack, I finally opted for the TT Rider V5 sat nag and mounted it via a Telferizer RAM ball mount (Nippy Normans now also stock this particular RAM mount) which screwed in to the LH handlebar retaining bolts (ie remove existing BMW Allen bolt and replace with nearest length equivalent supplied bolt that comes with RAM mount). The replacement bolt passes through the centre of the RAM ball mount and screws into position as the 'new' LH handlebar retaining bolt, and hey voila, a sturdy sat nag mount! The TT, when fitted, does partially obscure the bottom of the speedo, but that's not really a big deal when out riding. I wired it in c/o a Nippy Normans sat nag wiring loom (£14 ish) on to the purpose built spare loom terminal that lurks under the battery access panel. Simples ! :)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:34:28 pm »
Steve F, thanks for the info I have used Telferizer mounts on another bike. Do you think the obscurity is inevitable no matter what Sat Nav you have with your mounting method please ?

Thanks.

JS
JS

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:58:11 am »
Jack, I can only speak from experience wrt using a TT sat nag on the K13GT. but I would guess that, regardless of sat nag make, you would have a partial obscurity issue, albeit a minor one, as I referred to in my previous post. I've found that with adjusting the two RAM balls (on the mount and the sat nag plate), you can improve speedo visibility, but it's a trade off between a partial obscurity and a cockeyed facing sat nag! The Garmin boxes, being a much squarer shaped unit, could obscure more...?? Just a thought.....

Despite this (minor) partial obscuring, I do find this sat nag mount location a good one. No vibration and a nice tidy routing possible for the sat nag cable to under the battery access panel.

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:06:24 pm »
I made this one. I found the location suited me fine.

GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:03:17 pm »
Yes, I can believe that would work well Paul. Looks quite a sound, functional bit of kit. Is there any damping anywhere throughout the mount you made. I'm just curious as to whether there's any vibration when riding, as it all looks like metal to metal joints....??

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 07:37:09 pm »
No damping except the tiny rubber washers in the Garmin mount. I made an undamped one for the GS too. All good to date.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:31:34 pm »
Okay. That's good to hear they're working fine then Paul.

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 10:05:34 am »
I made this one. I found the location suited me fine.

Nice job.  Your mount plus 660 = ££ saving against Voyager wit.h built in cradle.  If only you had gone into production
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history

Offline bob

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200gt
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Exhaust
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 10:27:47 am »
You can see Paul was a Metal work Teacher
 :)
Plans are only ever a statement of intent and are intended to be changed, live your life by a compass, not a clock.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 11:40:50 am »
Having never poked and prodded a GT (apart from Ford's GT40  8) ), I have no idea about the bar arrangement.

The S has hollow bars and Hornig do a marvellous little device which slots into the inner end of the bar and locks tight with a RAM Ball on which can be mounted any number of differing configurations to get your Nav exactly where you want it.

http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-K-1200-S/Navigation-and-Communication/GPS-Mounting-Ram-Ball.html

Rider's view of cockpit:

The gizmo as fitted

Brian (with apologies for the Stone Age brick and rat's nest of cabling needed to get this beast to work  :o )

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »
GS version...

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 10:06:36 pm »

Nice job.  Your mount plus 660 = ££ saving against Voyager wit.h built in cradle.  If only you had gone into production

I'm happy to make something if you provide some drawings. So long as you don't mind waiting (probably a long time) as SWMBO has a BIG list of jobs. I need the brownie points as I'm off to the Alps in June and maybe Spain in September. However, the offer is there if you can wait.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 11:11:22 pm »
Some nice handy work by PaulC and some other useful ideas. Thanks one and all. My Bike Electrician used a NN's get round Canbus lead plug today to use the auxillary power socket located at the front of the battery. He neatly wired sat nav and autocom into same, guess what NN's lead appeared to fail as once ignition switched off cables to Autocom and Sat Nav stayed live ! Solution fit a wired switch under seat and turn on when needed. If not he estimates two days and battery will drain. There is an awful lot of electronic gubinns on this bike with more ECu's and Brains than Thunderbird 1 ! Dread to think what these bikes will be like for  the later owners in 10- 15 years plus time. Will they be a viable proposition ?

JS
JS