Author Topic: Suggestion rather than criticisms  (Read 7099 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Suggestion rather than criticisms
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:26:42 am »
How about some better smilies?             The one available are a bit naff.   ;)  ;)  ;)

I think that the members and places to eat map are fantastic and commend Rae in his hard work in presenting it. Would it be possible to set it up so that a hover with the cursor would put up the details rather than having to click? Would it also be possible to put the members map on the home page? 

Would it be possible to have a video in a post without having to go through a link?

How does the owner of the forum think that it is going so far? Have there been any unexpected problems?

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Suggestion rather than criticisms
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:56:12 pm »
Well, there is a straighforward and simple post to reply to  ;D

To start at the end, you are one of the owners of the forum Tom, so how do you think it is going so far?

As another one of the 70 owners of the forum, I can't believe how successful (I think) it has been so far. Most of the old characters are back and giving off that very distinct and pungent EuroKClub odour.

We have managed to acquire lots of new 'owners' who are doubtless wondering what they have joined and apart from the vast knowledge base and technical store that was stolen by Nadeem, at times I find it hard to believe that anything went wrong in the first place. I love it!

By the way, a lot of folks very kindly say 'thank you' to me for setting this place up, but I want to say an even bigger 'thank you' to everyone who came and joined me in here, it would have been a very lonely place without every single one of you. So thank you one and all!

I bought the new domain name for £20 a year and that is all that I own. I am most definitely not the owner of the site nor the forum. We have a management team consisting of the six admins and mods and we are responsible for the day to day, month to month and year to year maintenance of the site, but I am determined that this version of EuroKClub will never be the property of any one person.

So, on to your outrageously demanding requests  ;D

Embedded videos vs linked videos! This all comes down to disk space and disk space costs money. When we were all adrift and Paul and I were trying to see how to move forward, he found a very cheap and quick way of getting back up and running with extremely low hosting costs to boot. Without that one single step we would all still be in the Faceache lifeboat. Bearing in mind that we were taking a risk that we would end up with costs for a site that no-one joined, it seemed a reasonable way to go.

The downside is that we have limited storage space, or rather not unlimited.

We can increase our allocated disk space at a cost, but whatever the allocation we will eventually fill it if we all have our holiday videos uploaded to the site. There is also a security issue with having vids embedded.

I concur with you about the members map and if Rae lives long enough to make it to Lowestoft for the start of the 'Chasing the Sun' ride, then he will get many beers for his effort. Or G&T's in his case.

I beat you to having a whinge about the smilies; I can't even use the ones off my iPad as it loses all text following the smilie when I Post, although it is there when I Preview. This is as a result of changing the text from US to English.

So, for both of the above suggestions we have one major problem; none of the admins are HTML skilled coders. And if we have any in here, they are keeping very quiet about it.

The day to day admin of the forum is fairly straightforward as it is all encapsulated within the free software SMF from Simple Machines on which our forum and lots of others are based. There is lots of support on the SMF forum on how to do stuff and we are looking at this but we have linitations.

If we want to make radical changes beyond that available within SMF, (and I think maybe the member's map is that sort of change) we need to have access to a geek with HTML and various other software skills. If anyone knows of someone who can help with this stuff, please get in touch.

We have had almost no technical problems to speak of with the new site; a few issues with the Captcha device, the spool-chucker and the language being set to default US English. Touch wood quickly!

These issues were fixed by the admins or by Martin who built the site, as part of the initial set-up. Beyond that, we pay for his time if we need him to do support or other changes but we need to bear in mind that Martin is not a forum expert, his skill is building and maintaining websites, not forums on websites.

To summarise, I think that we eventually need to make some decisions about the ongoing direction of the site in terms of support and hosting but it was always my intention to let the site 'bed-in' for a couple of months before we make any drastic changes and then sort out the costs associated with it at the same time.

Brian (who says 'keep em comimg, none of em are being ignored'  ::) )

PS I did manage to find the fingering Adolf on the net, but have no idea what to do with it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:24:00 pm by Phmode »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:17:23 pm »
I agree with you that the forum is going really well and it is great seeing so many coming on board. I don't think we realised what we had until we lost it and our short spell with FB has highlighted how good this site is.

The other issues that I've raised were purely nit picking and I probably haven't even discovered all that is here.

So keep up the good work    
Did you see what I did there? I should get out and ride my bike more.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 03:20:30 pm »
Tom I did a quick search about your hover on the map suggestion and it is not possible in Google maps.
It will give your fingers some exercise having to click  ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 03:26:11 pm »
It's a lovely day out there!

Brian (who would go for a shake-down spin after the winter lay-off IF HIS BIKE WASN'T BROKE )

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:34:34 pm »
I've been out today, took a ride to Sherwood Forest visitor Centre. Had to keep dodging the bl@@dy arrows  ???

Offline joelK_1300R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:42:33 pm »
Are there any additional emoticons that we can just plugin via php? I suppose it all depends on your level of control to php....and if we can find the right addons....

Just remembered doing something similar to a bulletin board a couple of years back.
Currently Riding : BMW K1300S, Suzuki TL1000S
Previously : BMW S1000R, BMW K1300R Dynamic, 2007 R1, 2003 R1, 2002 R6, 2000 CBR600F, 2000 Honda Hornet.... Suzuki TS125, Kawasaki KE100, Kawasaki AR50

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 04:05:09 pm »
There are. There are millions out there. If you would care to take a peek at the forum for users of SMF at

http://www.simplemachines.org

and have a ferret around in the FAQ's you may find something. We have been catching up on some of the stuff in there but haven't bothered with the things we don't know how to implement. If you come up with something you think you can handle, let me know and I'll grant you admin rights to screw things up royally  ;D

If we knew what questions to ask we could even get stuck into the forum and ask for help as long as we know what to do with the answers  ::)

Brian (who should have stayed on at school till they invented software)

PS We have full control over the nuts and bolts within SMF, what we lack is competence.

Offline joelK_1300R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 04:21:29 pm »
ahhh I see.... I'll take a look a little later.... :-\
Currently Riding : BMW K1300S, Suzuki TL1000S
Previously : BMW S1000R, BMW K1300R Dynamic, 2007 R1, 2003 R1, 2002 R6, 2000 CBR600F, 2000 Honda Hornet.... Suzuki TS125, Kawasaki KE100, Kawasaki AR50

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 04:56:37 pm »
With that fancy scrolling message, TomL, I think you may be the closet coder to whom Brian referred!

Brian, you're too modest. However, with Jose Mujica stepping down, I think you may have the right qualities to run for that office too, especially if this forum is so easy to administer. :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 05:16:19 pm »
I think Tom cheats, Steve.

Brian (who didn't even realise that Uruguay was an actual country, he thought it was like, well, Belgium  ;D )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »
I was intrigued to discover what the little scrolling window was in the post page. 

It's all right I'm getting bored with it now.     

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 05:22:11 pm »
I think it's all going well. Does embedding links to videos really use more space? I thought it would just be a link?

And yes, a lovely day. I went for a great ride too. Including a nice cup of tea and two well buttered crumpets at the cafe in Tissington. They went down well !!!  ::)
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 05:23:16 pm »
Which scrolling window?
Which post page?

Brian who thinks Tom is banned if he knows too much

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:25:31 pm »
I think it's all going well. Does embedding links to videos really use more space? I thought it would just be a link?

And yes, a lovely day. I went for a great ride too. Including a nice cup of tea and two well buttered crumpets at the cafe in Tissington. They went down well !!!  ::)

No! Links are OK. It's if you embed the actual vid, like posting a picture.

Brian (who knows nothing, but that is what he overheard in the pub)