Author Topic: Optimiser recommendations please.  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
Optimiser recommendations please.
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:56:48 am »
Morning all,

As the title says, looking for battery optimiser recommendations...
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Optimiser recommendations please.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:35 am »
Ride the bike more  ;D ;D ;)

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:11:12 am »
Unfortunately, I don't get chance to ride my bike daily as I inwork
Away from home the majority of the time.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 11:43:54 am »
I have this posh-but-fugly BMW one:
https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-battery-charger-can-bus-compatible-with-uk-plug.html

Can't tell you if it's better or worse than an Optimate, other than it works.
And it would plug into my Canbus but for the fact that my Canbus wire seems to be faulty. (My Canbus problem, not the chargers.)

eBay has one at ~£60, if the rest of the forum politely gives you first refusal before buying it themselves :-)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Battery-Charger-BMW-Motorad-Canbus-/232351625084?hash=item36193c6f7c:g:4AMAAOSw~y9ZKEjw

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:58:31 am »
Optimate 3 or 4 (had both) with the dangly cord connected directly across the battery and the plug peeping neatly out of the slot in the right hand fairing filler panel, just visible below the handguard in this shot...

...and don't bother with the Canbus plug or the BMW warning about not connecting it directly across the battery. At your own risk of course, but I've had it connected directly to the battery on both K12 for five years and K13 for 18 months with nary a problem.

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:54 pm »
Cheers lads, much appreciated.

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 06:48:15 am »
Pretty much any modern one should be fine such as mentioned above BMW/Optimate or as I use CTEK.  They all now seem to come with a "conditioning" phase that should stop/reduce the chances of the battery being over charged as the old trickle chargers could do.  Peter

gibbo

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 08:50:23 am »
Pretty much any modern one should be fine such as mentioned above BMW/Optimate or as I use CTEK.  They all now seem to come with a "conditioning" phase that should stop/reduce the chances of the battery being over charged as the old trickle chargers could do.  Peter

And, a CTEK for me as well. Used it a lot on the K but now I'm K less it just remains in it's bag for the odd emergency. Always wondered why K bikes need continuous topping up when other makes don't.  ???

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:52 am »

And, a CTEK for me as well. Used it a lot on the K but now I'm K less it just remains in it's bag for the odd emergency. Always wondered why K bikes need continuous topping up when other makes don't.  ???

Interesting comment...

Do you know something I don't about k1200s bikes and their batteries? (You probably do!)

This maybe the cause of my issues. Lack of care for the battery...

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 10:09:27 am »
Where did the Hand protectors come from. Be interested in these for next winter.
Mark Barbour

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 12:09:09 pm »
Where did the Hand protectors come from. Be interested in these for next winter.

Go here....

http://www.eurokclub.bike/index.php/topic,1597.0.html

....do that!

These work just as well on non-HeliBar bars, which is what they are designed for  ::)

Perfect, but way too warm for 'normal' use. Great in the wet as they keep even summer gloves dry for ages.

Haven't fitted mine at all this year!

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »
Do you know something I don't about k1200s bikes and their batteries? (You probably do!)
This maybe the cause of my issues. Lack of care for the battery...
For me it used to be I had extended periods of non-bike-use over the winter due to work/family commitments.  For the last couple of years both have reduced so I get more time on the bike all year round and I am not sure I still need my optimiser, maybe more a force of habit :-) Peter

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:42 pm »
So, am I right in thinking that with these battery optimisers, I can also buy an adapter to enable me to charge a phone?

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 11:34:40 pm »
So, am I right in thinking that with these battery optimisers, I can also buy an adapter to enable me to charge a phone?

Depends what you mean!

If you mean to charge the phone with the Optimate, no! But why would you as if you have an Optimate you also have a mains plug  ::)

There are numerous suppliers selling stuff that will connect to the fly-lead from the battery. I use a lead (to charge my camera batteries in my tank bag as well as the phone) with a car-style cigar lighter socket on the end which accepts a multi-USB charger adaptor. Simples!

I have always used Elite...

http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/optiacc.html

...who know what they are talking about and can supply almost anything to do with an Optimate.

Other suppliers etc. etc. etc.

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 07:54:58 am »

Depends what you mean!

If you mean to charge the phone with the Optimate, no! But why would you as if you have an Optimate you also have a mains plug  ::)

There are numerous suppliers selling stuff that will connect to the fly-lead from the battery. I use a lead (to charge my camera batteries in my tank bag as well as the phone) with a car-style cigar lighter socket on the end which accepts a multi-USB charger adaptor. Simples!

I have always used Elite...

http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/optiacc.html

...who know what they are talking about and can supply almost anything to do with an Optimate.

Other suppliers etc. etc. etc.

Got one on order...

Massive thanks to Phmode... Mega helpful as always!!