Author Topic: K1200s starting issue...  (Read 9664 times)

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
K1200s starting issue...
« on: May 14, 2017, 08:31:05 pm »
So, I was out on a ride today. Bike running sweet, until I stopped for 10mins. Anyway , I put the key in, turn it, and nothing. Dash doesn't light up or anything. Got to the battery and everything was tight. It then started.

I'm off on a jaunt around France and Spain in a few weeks. Don't really want that problem again it case it doesn't start next time.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers in advance
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: K1200s starting issue...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:07:04 pm »
It could be the Hot Start issue which gives the impression that the battery is flat.
Have a word with your dealer.

Offline Rob M

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2011 K1300S
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 09:44:52 pm »
Sounds like the battery. Has the bike been stood over the winter? Have you got any additional drains such as sat nav/ 12v charger? It might need a full charge. The batteries need a full charge on these bikes.

Offline markyates

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300S, black/silver
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW rack, titanium Remus Hexacone, sport panniers, Ilmberger hugger, carbon front mudguard
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 10:41:52 am »
Mine does this occasionally. It's not the battery, mine is new and the charging system is fine.

See Rae's answer....

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:50:58 am »
Could it also be the switch gear? These are similar to the symptoms experienced by one of the Old Gits in France about 3 years ago.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:55:04 am »
I think your first step is to check if the Hot Start wiring loom has been done, if not get it done.

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 01:18:31 pm »
Ok, so when I bought the bike and had it sent down from cooper Sunderland, I took it strait int ocean motorrad here in Plymouth and made sure all The recall work Was done. The bike doesn't get used daily, sometimes weekly. When this first happened last week. Put the key in, turned it and nothing... dash didn't light up, just like yesterday. The bike was cold and Hadn't been used for three days. Thought it may be the battery so took it out and connected it to the charger. It went to green strait away. Put it back in and it started. Not sure how old the battery is, but the bikes an 08 plate with only 12,500 miles on it, that's made me think it could be the original battery.

Anyway, cheers for the replies and I'll keep yon u all posted

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 01:25:10 pm »
Am I just being a bit dim here?

Seeing as the poster doesn't give name or bike details, I 'thought' it was a K12S (or is the username just a ploy to confuse us all?) and I 'thought' the hot start issue was a K13 problem!

I also 'thought' the hot start issue was a 'cranking/starting' issue, not a 'dead bike' issue, which is what the OP is reporting; no dash lights, nothing!

If my dimwit assumptions above are all correct, I would suspect the immobiliser ring antenna might be starting to go hay-wire. When they go, the bike never lights up as the ecu never gets the OK from the transmitter in the key. This was (and as a legacy, still is) why I bought and always carry a spare ring antenna  ::)

Actually, having just re-read the details of the faulty antenna symptoms, the bike 'might' light up but you get the EWS warning on the dash.

Either way, it needs to head to a friendly GS-911 owner (who we could direct you to, if we knew where you lived!) or a dealer. The GS-911 might not help as the ring antenna only throws a fault code about 50% of the time.

I have reported similar intermittent problems with my K13S but have never noticed, in my frustration hitting the starter and cycling the ignition, whether my dash stays dark or lights up and hopefully I never find out.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:54:38 pm by Phmode »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 01:39:50 pm »
You are both right and wrong Brian, I had the hot start thingy on my K1200GT, and the original post didn't make it clear that it also happened when cold.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 03:02:48 pm »
I was obviously asleep at that point!

Well, if the dash is out then it isn't the hot start issue.

If it does it cold, ditto!

Nor, probably, is it the ring antenna as that would put EWS up on the dash.

Also, it won't be the same starter/kill switch issue we experienced in Italy (although we may have been in France that day  8) ) as that one didn't affect the dash electronics from memory.

The other non-cranking/starting fault is the side-stand switch fault, but again the dash would be alight.

Dodgy ignition switch?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:40:37 pm by Phmode »

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 05:44:06 pm »
Sorry if I've been a bit vauge. Booked to bike into ocean as it's still under warranty. Will report the findings as soon as I know.

Again, cheers for the replies

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 07:30:33 pm »
We'll all be very interested in their findings; assuming of course you don't get the 'they all do that' line (they dont'), or perhaps the more likely 'we couldn't find anything wrong' which is always the bitch with intermittent faults.

If it happens again before they take a peek at it, simply cycle the ignition off and then immediately on again without doing anything else and see if it lights up then. Mine does!

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:10:51 pm »
I was going to reply after the initial post and mention the hot start issue, but then after reading the dash being completely dead i guessed it wasn't that so stayed quiet to read what the resident experts/ people of experience said.

To me it sounds like a bad battery or earth issue

Offline markyates

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300S, black/silver
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW rack, titanium Remus Hexacone, sport panniers, Ilmberger hugger, carbon front mudguard
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 10:46:10 am »
Oops sorry here too, must read things properly and not be in a rush...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 11:16:22 am »
Oops sorry here too, must read things properly and not be in a rush...
A wise move, I often fall foul of skim reading  :-[