Author Topic: Optimiser recommendations please.  (Read 4624 times)

Offline markyates

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300S, black/silver
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW rack, titanium Remus Hexacone, sport panniers, Ilmberger hugger, carbon front mudguard
Re: Optimiser recommendations please.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 09:43:08 am »
I have a widget from Optimate that plugs into the bike's power socket. It has two USB ports for charging or powering stuff.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 01:25:36 pm »
I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate the on-board socket!

OK! I can! I hate it more then Marmite. There, that's told you  8)

Unless you are very lucky and can find a VERY low profile right-angle socket, the damn thing sticks in bits of my body where I didn't even know I had bits!

I got really fed up with the one on my GS and don't even know if the one on the K13 works!

And then, just when you think it is doing a sterling job, it turns itself off! Damn its eyes, all of them 😡

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 02:28:12 pm »
Pretty much any modern one should be fine such as mentioned above BMW/Optimate or as I use CTEK.  They all now seem to come with a "conditioning" phase that should stop/reduce the chances of the battery being over charged as the old trickle chargers could do.  Peter

And, a CTEK for me as well. Used it a lot on the K but now I'm K less it just remains in it's bag for the odd emergency. Always wondered why K bikes need continuous topping up when other makes don't.  ???
Canbus filosofia.  Same goes for the bimers cars
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline markyates

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300S, black/silver
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW rack, titanium Remus Hexacone, sport panniers, Ilmberger hugger, carbon front mudguard
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 01:38:37 pm »
I mostly got the Optimate widget to use for emergency phone battery top-ups and the like. It lives under the seat most of the time. I find if I'm not sitting on the bike I don't get body parts impacted by various components....  ::)

However, you can't beat a decent portable power pack (really cheap now on Amazon), if you can find somewhere to stash it when you don't have luggage fitted.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 02:10:31 pm »
I mostly got the Optimate widget to use for emergency phone battery top-ups and the like. It lives under the seat most of the time. I find if I'm not sitting on the bike I don't get body parts impacted by various components....  ::)

However, you can't beat a decent portable power pack (really cheap now on Amazon), if you can find somewhere to stash it when you don't have luggage fitted.

You can get tiddlers (1 - 2 full charges depending on your phone):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Portable-Rechargeable-Universal-Smartphones/dp/B00TOGZTQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496408654&sr=8-2&keywords=belkin%2Bcharger%2Bpack&th=1

Or you can get things that almost hum (7 - 10 charges, but less compact):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5Q4F0U?psc=1

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 04:50:30 pm »
I have a usb adaptor that fits the optimate battery end. . Just look at optimate accessories.

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 07:51:55 pm »
So that's that sorted. Optimate 4 with the USB charger plug.

Thanks for the replies
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.