Author Topic: Motorrad days 2016 Garmisch Partenkirchen  (Read 4932 times)

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
Motorrad days 2016 Garmisch Partenkirchen
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:04:48 pm »
My normal touring buddy Mark has finally taken the plunge and after years of Triumph ownership, has bought a Beemer!
of course this meant that Tridays was no longer a prefered destination, however BMW to the rescue! "lets go to the BMW party in Garmisch!"
I haven't toured in Germany or Austria so I let Mark sort out all the details (which he did with a stunning choice in hotels )
first day was a grind.... home to Baden Baden, a little under 600 miles,a lot spent on boring French autoroutes, but finally arriving and having a nice meal made most of the pain dissappear  ;)
Day two
early the next morning up and off on the road, and although it was heavily overcast there was no rain, which is always a bonus in my book.
We found a lot of "Umleitung" (Detour) signs as it appears summertime is road repair time! and so got to see some really nice little roads, but not all the ones we had expected, the B500 being one that was cut short by diversions.

we stopped for lunch on the lake front at Bregenz where we had a nice coffee and gulaschsuppe (important insomuch as the events later in the day conspired to rob me of dinner!)
after that, back on the road again and eventually finding us at an Austrian border point where we bought a vignette ready for the coming days, where we popped in and out of Austria.

once back on the road again the day was drawing out and to our right the mountains were barely visible due to the clouds and heavy rain, "thats OK I thought, the satnav track has us going parallel to the mountains" 10 mins later a 90 degree right turn appeared on the screen and the last 30 odd minutes of the trip where concluded in torrential rain!  >:(
the hotel was found and was really welcoming, however it didn't do an evening meal and the rain was still torrential, so bugger going into town! so sent to bed with no supper  :-[ (not that I couldnt stand a few more days like that  :P)
Day three
the weather had changed overnight to a beautiful sunny mountain day, and the view from the hotel balcony was stunning

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:34:57 pm by kennyc »

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Motorrad days 2016 Garmisch Partenkirchen
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:17:38 pm »
Looks like a great trip. Did something dreadful happen on Day Three or did you just run out of enthusiasm for the rest of the report.....

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:18:39 pm »

so with breakfast out of the way, we had a tour of the town and as it was early on the Friday there wasn't a lot visible, although there were BMW's everywhere! so we decided to take advantage of the good weather and tour around, eventually entering Austria for a trip around and through Innsbruck, where the temps hit 29C and at one point my temp gauge almost topped out! (following a line of traffic at walking pace behind a cyclist up a steep mountain road) fortunately before the old girl blew her top, the road opened up and I was able to power past and normal temps were quickly returned.... phew!
after that we stopped for drinks and to watch the bikes trolling past for a while and then more mountain roads until we stopped for lunch at a rather nice lake

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:19:33 pm »
Looks like a great trip. Did something dreadful happen on Day Three or did you just run out of enthusiasm for the rest of the report.....
patience ! Firefox locked up so had to open up chrome and start again :P

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:25:34 pm »
sometimes I wonder why I let Mark near my bike  :P

after a great day out, we returned to the Hotel, showered and got back on the bikes looking for the party, we found it and boy was it big! there were several tents joined together that would cover most of my street! the event was set up in a field and there were metal sheet "roads" set up for access and plenty of wooden squares to act as pucks for stands, the Police were in evidence to ensure good behaviour.

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:28:56 pm »
there were displays of add-ons and essentials for BMW bikes, variuos club tents and displays of all the new models, a stunt show and a wall of death, whats not to like?

essentials!

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 12:31:54 pm »
there were also various custom type bikes on display

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 12:35:08 pm »
of course there were certain amounts of liquid refreshment and pastry products around as well

of course we couldn't indulge too much as we had to drive back to the Hotel, however we altered our plans for the following night to include the free shuttle bus and a taxi  8)

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 12:45:46 pm »
Day Four
the weather forecast wasn't looking good so we had a bimble around the area in the morning and ended up going up a cable car to a mountain top to admire the clouds  :P
in the afternoon the rain started again and for 4-5 hours it was stair rods!
that evening was a rerun of the previous nights, although there was a little more alcohol involved and some interaction with the locals  ;D

we ended the evening with a walk back to town, followed by a meal and a taxi drive back to the Hotel

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 12:52:39 pm »
Day five
started with beautiful weather again! the bikes were still constantly passing by the Hotel (sorry about quality Photobucket doesnt seem the best for video hosting )

we took a bit of time for photos and then headed off for France and the Vosges.

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 12:58:26 pm »

the run alongside the North edge of Lake Constance was congested (which I understand to be normal) and again we were plagued by "Umleitung" signs, but after a full days ride we finally made it to our home from home in the Vosges the Moto Hotel Col du Bussang

bike parking has been attended to

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 01:02:23 pm »
Day Six
was spent enjoying the Vosges and the hairpin roads that abound, and generally winding down.

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 01:09:41 pm »
Day Seven
we were up early and after breakfast away on the trip home, all was going swimmingly until my sat nav decided to take us on the Route National instead of the autoroute, this would have been OK except for the contraflows due to roadworks  >:( however, we managed to get back to the tunnel early and despite the massive queues (don't know why?) we got onto an earlier crossing and back onto the joys of the UK roads..... 2 lanes of the M25 closed due to a broken down lorry and miles of filtering  ::)
all in all a superb trip and one I hope to do again !
total mileage was a tad over 2000
MPG via the bike comp was 55.6mpg
average moving speed was 50.9mph
and something over 38 hours moving (from sat nav ,having to guess now as can't be assed to go look  :P)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:40:29 pm by kennyc »

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 03:48:50 pm »
Lovely!! Mind, I'm not really into beer and pastries  ::)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 11:01:57 pm »
Great simply great . I envy you. Thanks for sharing wonderful photos .
Embrace the wind.