Author Topic: Should i use anti-sieze on my wheel bolts?  (Read 11642 times)

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1300S now R1250RS
Re: Should i use anti-sieze on my wheel bolts?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2019, 09:09:46 am »
Aluminium in contact with copper will suffer from galvanic corrosion if it gets wet. I know this for a fact as I put some on to try and stop the wheels on the wife's Golf sticking onto the hubs but I needed to use a fencing maul to get them off the next time. The correct assembly paste for alloy components is something like Castrol Optimol that doesn't contain copper, but I wouldn't use anything on the wheel bolts.

Coppaslip does not cause galvanic corrosion. A small amount of any antisieze is a good thing as it makes acheiving the correct bolt torque more consistant.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2019, 03:33:33 pm »
There are many anti-seize compounds out there not only Copper Slip, but this should not be used on aluminium alloys, from left to right I use Copper Slip for steel to steel, secondly Aluminium graphite on Steel to steel, steel to Aluminium and most thing on motorbikes, 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D to the right we have the crème de la crème when it comes to anti-seize, ceramic grease this can be used on all things steel or alloy and also on brake callipers.

Steviejuk I agree with the second part of your statement, ;)

An now we will have the boys on the side saying once again that, anti-seize compound will affect your torque setting, the calculations for working this out exactly are mind boggling for each type of lubricant.
So if you have a brand new digital or freshly calibrated linear torque wrench and would like to work it out, then on average the friction loss by using a lubricant on the threads of a bolt is about 25%, now this is where it gets interesting, you only put the lubricant on the threads, so take a look at the diagram below and this will explain how to work out the reduction for your torque setting,

Now divide the 40% by 4 to get your 25% of reduced torque.
lets say we have a bolt with a setting of 100Nm
That’s 50% flange face friction 10% bolt stretch friction and 40% thread friction.
40%=40Nm/4=25% thread friction =10Nm torque reduction.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but with most snap type or old torque wrench tools, they are more than 10% out on calibration before even getting them out of your tool box,
So if you don’t have a brand new or freshly calibrated linear torque wrench and don’t clean off the threads on each bolt as well as the threads the bolt is going into, each time you refit them,
THEN JUST PUT SOME ANTI-SEIZE ON THE THREADS and the jobs done.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:33:18 pm by TomK1300s »
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2019, 08:35:19 pm »
Interesting diagram. I need to go away and talk to my structural engineering friends about their bolt connection design.
Every car I ever had I put compound on the wheel bolts. Did it on my k12 and the next service got told off by the mechanic

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2019, 09:27:28 pm »
Interesting diagram. I need to go away and talk to my structural engineering friends about their bolt connection design.
Every car I ever had I put compound on the wheel bolts. Did it on my k12 and the next service got told off by the mechanic

Probably a BMW trained mechanic was he, they tend to leave thing lose on your bike after leaving it with them, only small things like caliper bolts, rear disk bolts or sometimes your front mud guard mounting bolts, I now check my bike over even after the first service, if its been worked on by another mechanic, or was it you put Copper slip on your alloy wheels. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Andym535

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2019, 09:34:46 pm »
Structural connections where the bolt tension is critical use load indicating washers, which have dents in them that flatten out as the nuts are tightened, then you check the gap with a feeler gauge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_tension_indicator

gibbo

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2019, 09:08:09 am »
Many of you may have watched the programme with Guy Martin at the Ricardo factory torqueing up a nut/bolt whatever with a £20.000
wrench. Wonder what they put on their threads if any? I'd be inclined to take their advice as gospel. Other than that I'm sticking with nowt on threads with the simplistic stuff that I do.  :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:43:31 am by gibbo »

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2019, 02:47:22 pm »
i don't think i'd depend on a £20 torque wrench if it was that important.
(i'm waiting to be hoisted by my own petard now)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2019, 03:49:27 pm »
Many of you may have watched the programme with Guy Martin at the Ricardo factory torqueing up a nut/bolt whatever with a £20.000
wrench. Wonder what they put on their threads if any? I'd be inclined to take their advice as gospel. Other than that I'm sticking with nowt on threads with the simplistic stuff that I do.  :)

I also noticed Guy Martin saying he thought his £400 torque wrench was extravagant.

I don't think a "specifically built" for one or two world record breaking 150mph runs, 1000bhp, 5 tonne tractor has quite the same long term bolt seizing issues as a standard production, run through the winter, cover 50k plus miles, own for many years, motorcycle.

Possibly more relevant would be to know what the farmers with the 5+ year old JCB FastTrac put on their wheel bolts.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2019, 07:35:45 pm »
PIG FAT  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2019, 11:03:50 pm »
 ;D