Author Topic: Cotswold Motorrad, Cheltenham  (Read 8710 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Cotswold Motorrad, Cheltenham
« on: August 13, 2020, 09:12:15 pm »
Despite concerns raised by others about the quality of the 'service' at Cotswold, I decided to take the K in for an annual service rather than schlepping all the way to Oxford to get it done at NOG, who have looked after both the K12 and 13 ever since I crossed Vines off my Xmas card list (continually charging me for four spark plugs every time my 2002 single spark 1150GS went in for service and NEVER checking the electrolyte level on my lead-acid battery (because it has a sealed for life battery, not) and deciding that Bahnstormer didn't really care one way or another.

It's a strange place for sure. It seems as though the Motorrad place has been built in the underground car park of the car dealership and althouh someone has gone to expensive lengths to try to tart it up (still a working progress (sic) ), it still looks like the inside of a very large container parked in the corner. My mate made me promise to tell him if the coffee machine was working as it had never worked in all the time he has been going there. It wasn't. But it did have a sign on it saying that the fire alarm would be tested at 11 am today and that we should not evacuate. It wasn't and we didn't.

So, I was told that to get a coffee one had to exit said container and trek across the car park, into the car dealership and up the escalator to the coffee bar where a gorgeous young thing in a length of navy coloured crushed silk, fashioned into a sort of elegant dress, would gladly make me a happy man drink of my choosing and supply any number of pastries.

This she duly did. Many times.

The bike was booked in for 9am 'so you are first in' (to get to be first in at Vines one had to be up at sparrow-fart and on the ramp by 7).

It was all pleasant and efficient enough but the staff spent way too much time chatting to one another and way too little attending to customers. However, as first on the ramp my bike was whisked away for an oil and filter change, full brake fluid change, final drive oil change and a general wipe over with an oily rag.

The bike was ready by just after 11 and there were only two other customers in by that time with two more having troubled the staff with queries about duff batteries (on a GS) and to pick up some horrendously expensive luggage.

It then took the guy almost 25 minutes to prepare my invoice amd I was the only customer waiting to go remeber. I don't know if it is just me but I want to strangle someone when it all goes pear-shaped at the end like this.

Anyway, the bill came to £265 which, despite biting my tongue and saying nowt, I didn't feel was that expensive. Maybe I'm getting old.

Of course, there was no mention of lubricating my ball joint or greasing my nipples but that's modern service for you.

Now then, where did I put that young lady's number?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Cotswold Motorrad, Cheltenham
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:55:49 pm »
Good write-up Brian - thanks.

Would you use them again? (young lady excluded)
And how do you feel they fared compared to NOG?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 08:03:51 am »
Fascinating apart from Brian’s opening line never seen or heard a bad word said about Cheltenham,and that’s with 3 Beemers.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 08:19:40 am »
Good write-up Brian - thanks.

Would you use them again? (young lady excluded)
And how do you feel they fared compared to NOG?

I would. The big difference between the two is that at NOG you get to sit in the comfy bits (better coffee and buns although the selection at Cotswold was better and much better prepared and served  8) ) along with the cagers whereas at Cotswold it is a totally separate building. Of course, I don't know how much of the area restriction is down to Covid rules but if I had spent my time in the car building they would never have found me to ask for the rear wheel locking bolt key...

The bike area is by its very nature a noisier place with no sound deadening and the service manager has a very loud voice which echoed around the whole time. In short , it wasn't as pleasant a wait, but I haven't been to NOG since lockdown.

Service wise I have no issues and was pleased at the price. The place is relatively new and as the signs say, it is a 'working progress' (sic).

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 08:22:23 am »
Fascinating apart from Brian’s opening line never seen or heard a bad word said about Cheltenham,and that’s with 3 Beemers.

The negative comments came from a couple of customers at NOG last time I was in there who had switched from Cotswold and my local postie who bought a Nine T from them and has no end of issues with getting them to return calls, collect and deliver the bike at all, let alone when promised and a general lack of 'customer focus'.

Time will tell Chris.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 08:56:55 am »
And by comparison on other forums where folks absolutely swear by them and wouldn’t go anywhere else.

Non of which has anything to do with having a bike serviced ‘While you wait’ never done that in 51 years of biking,drop it off and leave e’m too it ‘See ya in a few days’

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 09:51:20 am »
When I was working (that would be about two months in 1978) I always went for the loan bike route for the day, with the BM's that meant Vines when I was in London and either Vines or Bahnstormer Faringdon when I was in Brighton.

Once I retired and with time on my hands, spending a couple of hours browsing cars I would never buy on principle and drinking a decent'ish coffee or seven whilst reading the papers (remember those days) and chatting to other bikers seemed like a reasonable alternative to rushing around the country in the rain on some loathesome loaner (cos it always rains when I take my bike in) .

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 10:21:10 am »
Interesting thanks Bri!

I do think BMW Motorrad's inventory, billing etc (same for their cars?) software is a pile of shit. And i'm pretty sure the users agree, and it was a case of someone at head office getting a great deal. De ja vu for every company I've worked at actually. Bugger. I seem to recall it changed a few years ago, but the previous sentences still held/hold true. Even with my half arsed'ness I could make them something a lot simpler and a lot cheaper, better architected and without the need for frigging servers at each dealer. Jidiots.

I've been on and off the few dealers around here over the decade or so I've been using them. Thames Valley Bahnstormer has been the one to keep me the longest though. That's partly because I work about 2 miles from them, and partly because I built a decent relationship with the main people, and eventually buying 2 or 3 bikes from them helped no doubt. Sadly their service area has had a bit of staff turnover in the last couple of years. When I rang up to book in for tyres (yes yes I know, more tomatoes than sense) I had to speak to 2 people. Paraphrasing:
Person 1: "Hi, what is up dude etc? I am the parts dept person I think"
Me: "New tyres please k thnx"
P1: "ok... i will now sound a little uncertain... what tyres?"
Me: "them Pilot Road 5 Adventure things"
P1: "ok yeah fine. I put you through to service dept"
Me: "erm ok bye"
P2: "hi what is up dude etc? I am the service dept new guy"
Me: "yeah tyres"
P2: "ok but it'll be 3 or 4 weeks"
Me: "super duper. 4th?"
P2: "Yeah"
Me: "k"
P2: "k..." tap tap tap... tap tap tap... tap tap tap... "ok done. Full stop. bye then"
Me: "You didn't ask what tyres I want"
P2: "oh yes... I will put you through to parts dept"
Me: "oh. Great." so the process has got worse and they can't talk to each other so I do?!
P1: "hey... so Pilot 5 adventure things?"
Me: "yeah"
P1: "k" tap tap tap tap tap tap
Me: "k?"
P1: "k"
Me: "bye"

I wonder if when I book in for a service I'll have to go back and forth to make sure they have brake fluid in stock. Oh and don't forget 2 spark plugs, back I go. Oh yes and did you remember how to run a team efficiently?

I also had more than my fair share of issues with the S1000RR repair quality. I think, much like many businesses, their processes weren't nicely documented or embedded so that when people changed the quality went down.

So we'll see how September and whenever I book the services goes.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:23:28 am by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 12:56:54 pm »
I use Cotswold Motorrad, they seem OK even though they handed the bike back running on 3 cylinders once.
I've run out of loan bikes to try there, unless they get a S1000XR demo available.
So far it's been
K1300S Motorsport which tempted me in the early years of my 09.
R nine T which I hated for lack of wind protection and kept hitting the rev limiter before I got going.
K1600S which disappointed me for relative lack of go and the wind buffeting whatever I did with the screen. Very smooth though.
GS1250 thing. A good bike, rapid, but like riding a diesel as it's all grunt and no revs. Handled well
F900XR. Surprising good bike, went well for its size, a good all rounder.

The modern gearboxes are so good....

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 01:36:11 pm »
Free practice 2 is delayed....

What a thread this is... service at a dealer and it’s all about getting the bill,coffee,cake,loan bike  :o.

Early days a mate would pick me up at the dealer,then the wife,and the last 15 years a van,but still chuck keys on the table ring me when it’s done....obviously it’s not that simple  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 05:51:22 pm »
I think my most fondly remembered courtesy bike was the R Nine T. The edition with the old paint, the yellow number board thing on tank.

It took me a while to like it though, going from K speeds to R speeds. But I still don't know if it was truly great for me or just that parked up at a country pub with an old Bentley in the background, and attracting a few comments from people (you've got the wrong helmet for that bike) was pretty great.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 06:48:40 pm »
Interesting thanks Bri!

I do think BMW Motorrad's inventory, billing etc (same for their cars?) software is a pile of shit. And i'm pretty sure the users agree, and it was a case of someone at head office getting a great deal. De ja vu for every company I've worked at actually. Bugger. I seem to recall it changed a few years ago, but the previous sentences still held/hold true. Even with my half arsed'ness I could make them something a lot simpler and a lot cheaper, better architected and without the need for frigging servers at each dealer. Jidiots.

I've been on and off the few dealers around here over the decade or so I've been using them. Thames Valley Bahnstormer has been the one to keep me the longest though. That's partly because I work about 2 miles from them, and partly because I built a decent relationship with the main people, and eventually buying 2 or 3 bikes from them helped no doubt. Sadly their service area has had a bit of staff turnover in the last couple of years. When I rang up to book in for tyres (yes yes I know, more tomatoes than sense) I had to speak to 2 people. Paraphrasing:
Person 1: "Hi, what is up dude etc? I am the parts dept person I think"
Me: "New tyres please k thnx"
P1: "ok... i will now sound a little uncertain... what tyres?"
Me: "them Pilot Road 5 Adventure things"
P1: "ok yeah fine. I put you through to service dept"
Me: "erm ok bye"
P2: "hi what is up dude etc? I am the service dept new guy"
Me: "yeah tyres"
P2: "ok but it'll be 3 or 4 weeks"
Me: "super duper. 4th?"
P2: "Yeah"
Me: "k"
P2: "k..." tap tap tap... tap tap tap... tap tap tap... "ok done. Full stop. bye then"
Me: "You didn't ask what tyres I want"
P2: "oh yes... I will put you through to parts dept"
Me: "oh. Great." so the process has got worse and they can't talk to each other so I do?!
P1: "hey... so Pilot 5 adventure things?"
Me: "yeah"
P1: "k" tap tap tap tap tap tap
Me: "k?"
P1: "k"
Me: "bye"

I wonder if when I book in for a service I'll have to go back and forth to make sure they have brake fluid in stock. Oh and don't forget 2 spark plugs, back I go. Oh yes and did you remember how to run a team efficiently?

I also had more than my fair share of issues with the S1000RR repair quality. I think, much like many businesses, their processes weren't nicely documented or embedded so that when people changed the quality went down.

So we'll see how September and whenever I book the services goes.

I think you'll find it is 4 spark plugs...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 07:47:20 pm »
On my GS? Is it a Fiat? :p

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 09:52:03 pm »
Fairly sure they are twin spark but could be wrong. Vines always tried to charge me for four spark plugs on my 1150 GS which was the last of the single-spark 1150's... ::)

Maybe the 1200 is different.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 09:58:34 pm »
When I was doing the MCN stuff i’d Go into Vines on a regular basis,because at the time looked after the press fleet they were really clued up and I never got treated as a mug punter, when all of that stopped my preference was Clark’s BMW up on the Licky Hills, we had our differences but got along reasonably well, when they closed a while back non of mine have been anywhere near a dealer since.

Always thought that BMUK would open up another in Birmingham,but clearly the current car dealers have no interest in doing so.