Author Topic: Bloody stupid visor mechanisms!  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Bloody stupid visor mechanisms!
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:37:35 pm »
Is it just me?

As one who remembers when helmets didn't have visors, (not to mention when most riders didn't have helmets) it always irritated me that you needed a degree in advanced origami to get the bloody visor off.

Then it all changed and it was easy-peasy to get 'em off and sometimes even get 'em on again.

But, how stupid are some of these mechanisms? Talk about designed dreamt up by 7 year olds?

The visor attachments on my BMW System Dark Ages visor are so weird and fragile that the slightest mishandling causes them to snap off.

The mechanism on my Schuberth C3 is fine, works a treat and the attachments are robust too....but, the bloody sun visor, one of the most useful things if you have sensitive eyes/stare at the sun a lot, is another matter all together.

It is like some kids comic book gift; insert tab A under flab B and ensure that spigot C engages in hole D and repeat for other side.

Of course putting the thing in when you can see tab A, flap B and hole D and even spigot C if you squint, is Simples!

Getting the bloody thing off to clean the dead flies from the outside and the various forms of moss, algae, sneeze droplets and other general forms of low-life from the inside, is another matter altogether  >:( Especially when it is 4 months since you last fitted it!!!

Do I bend the visor in or out to disengage spigot C from hole D, or do I lift flap B to allow tab A to come off the spigot C?

Well, whatever you do, don't! Of course, as is always the way with the buggeration factor, the first side comes off easily, what with it being held in place on both sides.

It is trying to get the second side off while supporting the plastic that is the hard bit and I'm not even a cack-handed, ham-fisted sort.

That'll be £40 to you sir and do enjoy the Wrinklies run in the rain without the sun visor?

Brian (who should be grateful that it was tab A on the visor that snapped off, taking hole D with it and not flap B or spigot C on the captive mechanism that went boing  :) )

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Bloody stupid visor mechanisms!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:46:25 pm »
Try a dead blow mallet and blue tak  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:02:59 pm »
Is it just me?

No. I bust mine the first time I removed it. I looked carefully, and thought 'That's definitely a slide-off mechanism.'
No it ain't, it's a 'Flex it away away from the lid surface or you'll snap the tiny but beautifully crafted Italian hinge' mechanism.
Good news: only half the hinge snapped. Bad news: I now carry a £40 replacement ready for when it breaks completely.

Complete idiots.

That's me - and the designer.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:33:12 pm »
A rubber hammer always helps..................................................................................to relieve frustration, but is hopeless for changing visors. :o
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:49:29 pm »
...and to continue the theme of 'idiocy'....

I'm not particularly anal (well, OK) about some stuff. Like keeping track of my bike's mileage and fuel!

BUT...I am totally anal about not being able to find stuff!

Like the key for that lock that has been sitting on my kitchen worktop for 4 years because I can't find the key. I don't need the key, the lock is open and isn't locking anything and is not a very good lock in the first place. But I can't find the key! Every time I see it I have to start over looking for the key, forgetting whatever it was I was doing before, like making sure the beef roast in the oven wasn't burning...

Of course, I could throw the lock away. But we all know what that would lead to, yup, I would instantly find the lost key!

So, in readiness for the coming apocalypse that is the Wrinklies Run, I wanted to total the consumption before the off.

Do you think I could find the last bloody receipt, no. 32 in case you wanted to know!!!

No way! I know I had it because I remember writing the total and trip mileage on it, in the dark, on Thursday evening, in black biro, whilst wearing nothing but my boots and base layers....but enough of my sex life!

I searched every pair of trousers I own, both of them. I searched the waste bin despite taking the contents to the recycling centre today. I searched both pairs of trousers again, and the waste bin. Again!

Eventually I came to my senses and realised that the egg and chips were way more important and went to get the oven chips from the freezer.

And there...

Stuck to the side of the chip packet...

Frozen solid...

And large as life...

Was the bloody Tesco receipt for 11.89 litres of their Finest Momentum 99 RON petroleum!

Reminds me of the time....

Brian (who can remember every touch of the lips of the svelte, sweet 15 year old Janet back in 1963 but not only can't remember where he put the last fuel receipt, but can't remember why he wanted it in the first place  8) )

PS What's that burning smell?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:51:05 pm by Phmode »

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 07:50:20 am »
Regarding visors, I do like my Nolan N104 EVO lid with built in flip down tint screen.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 10:18:17 am »
New streetx model offered by Bmw mottorad but made by shark can cure your visor issues having the best mechanism offered on the market by far.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 10:57:25 am »
Yeah, but that is like buying a new bike because your headlamp bulb blew  ;D

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 07:30:54 pm »
Am afraid you're  right
Embrace the wind.

Offline Saltboxer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Limberger bling
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 11:15:24 pm »
Bugger the Tesco receipt, tell us more about Janet  :)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 07:28:35 am »
Bugger the Tesco receipt, tell us more about Janet  :)
I'm ready

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 09:31:10 am »
Janet? Who's Janet?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 02:10:02 pm »
Did you have your wicked way with her???
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 02:39:31 pm »
At 14 I didn't know what my wicked way was. Luckily, she did 🙄

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:31:30 pm »
Janet from your old home town hey Brian !.  ;)
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul