Author Topic: Rhineland trip.  (Read 1089 times)

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
Rhineland trip.
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:59:12 pm »
We got back from Sank Goar yesterday evening after having 3 days riding the local roads. Trouble is Thursday was the only decent day as it was a public holiday and no german trucks where running the other 2 where spent trying to find a piece of tarmac without a truck on it!
The trip started on a small disaster after a fixing lug on a hyabusa top box fixing broke at 5.30 that morning and he turned up a Chobham services with a bag balancing on the back. Whist chatting small specks of blue where noted on the rear hugger of a guys tracer but thought nothing of it until we got the the train and it looked like his back end was repainted. We quickly realised it was ultra seal which had done it's job but made a mess.
A desicion was made to run with it but 140 miles later we had to plug it
Next day the guy wanted to renew the tyre so we found a place about 50km away , it turns out bike shops or tyre places are few and far between in Germany or that part at least. Luckily a German guy offered to translate and offer his services and home garage to remove the wheels as it was another 50 euro to take the wheels off. He lived 20 km away and we had coffee and 3 of us went for a ride whilst the did the bike. What a nice man and some nice bikes too.
As said a nice area but an uneventful ride, but the bad luck continues, my oil can on the dash showed itself but went off a few miles down the road so as it was a public holiday with even no diy stores open I called Vines about a substitute oil I can use. They said a 5w 40 fully synthetic would be ok to top up which I did on the way home yesterday. One of our number put the remainder of the oil in his top box for me just in case. I got a call from him asking if I got back ok but also the oil had leaked onto his gortex trousers in the top box 😣.
On the bright side the lodging was clean and comfortable with nice staff and food, 35 euro gave you a full belly and a few beers or carafes of wine and we had a garage for the bikes.
It's a nice place to go if you don't mind the slow pace but if we had the time the black forest would be better or back to Luxembourg.