Author Topic: BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide  (Read 19715 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 08:35:30 pm »
Tax Efficient tm

I think that's the phrase Brian was searching for.  8)

I looked into that too, I dont' do anythign like those miles - even in my car but I concluded that it wasn't worth it for me. Aside from the BIK for personal use, there's employers NICs to pay on the value of the benefit - and seeing as it's my company and I own half the shares effectively I get to pay twice  :'(

That said, if there was no personal use and I could have all the vat back on the purchase, the AIA relief on the cost and all the running costs through the business - that would make quite a difference.

So I guess what I'm saying is - I now need two bikes :-) One for fun and one for fun work

Full recovery of VAT. Costs written off before Corporation Tax, and in one year if you want. All kit (helmet, suit, boots etc.) the same.

One bike for company business only (and keep a log book to prove it) and a personal bike for fun equals no personal tax implications what so ever.  What's not to like?

So David, you don't use the work bike for personal use at all?  ;)

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2019, 09:41:22 pm »
I have a spare standard rear wheel that I swap to the bike occasionally to get full wear out of my rear tyres and I have to confess that I can't tell which wheel is fitted to the bike when I'm ridng it.

Like you Tom, I was never able to "feel" any significant difference between the Motorsport or my previous Sport with the standard wheels.

I have, in my shed somewhere, a front wheel for a motorsport that I must dig out and sell this summer.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 09:43:22 pm »
Tax Efficient tm

I think that's the phrase Brian was searching for.  8)

I looked into that too, I dont' do anythign like those miles - even in my car but I concluded that it wasn't worth it for me. Aside from the BIK for personal use, there's employers NICs to pay on the value of the benefit - and seeing as it's my company and I own half the shares effectively I get to pay twice  :'(

That said, if there was no personal use and I could have all the vat back on the purchase, the AIA relief on the cost and all the running costs through the business - that would make quite a difference.

So I guess what I'm saying is - I now need two bikes :-) One for fun and one for fun work

Full recovery of VAT. Costs written off before Corporation Tax, and in one year if you want. All kit (helmet, suit, boots etc.) the same.

One bike for company business only (and keep a log book to prove it) and a personal bike for fun equals no personal tax implications what so ever.  What's not to like?

So David, you don't use the work bike for personal use at all?  ;)
My log booked matched the bike mileage and showed I did not have any personal use. I did however, do some international conferences where I used the bike to get there and back. :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2019, 10:37:31 pm »

I have, in my shed somewhere, a front wheel for a motorsport that I must dig out and sell this summer.

Well, there you go, sitting_duck, halfway to your wish for funky wheels.
The other one will turn up at a breakers at some point.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 11:02:09 am »
I have a spare standard rear wheel that I swap to the bike occasionally to get full wear out of my rear tyres and I have to confess that I can't tell which wheel is fitted to the bike when I'm ridng it.

Like you Tom, I was never able to "feel" any significant difference between the Motorsport or my previous Sport with the standard wheels.

The word is that the light alloy wheels are difficult to detect but the BST carbons are meant to be real easy to tell when you have them on. I await your report David.

Offline Tractors are go

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: comfort/dynamic pack, 2D dash, akrapovic full system and hilltopped; extra carbon bling of front mudguard/bellypan/seat unit; all done to save weight honest, BMW sports panniers
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 08:56:18 pm »
As my KR has the 2D dash from new, I'm curious/interested in what/how you can modify the dash.

As a luddite (or gsa owner) speak slowly and I'll try and keep up.

I went for the complete akro system, as it was only £200 more than just the end can by itself. an obvious bargain then. As for the top box every self respecting bike has one. Although I doubt there is another R with a givi 58L outback on the back.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 09:06:34 pm »
I didn't know that Givi did a 58 Litre top box I thought mine was big at 56 Litres  :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 09:25:59 pm »
As my KR has the 2D dash from new, I'm curious/interested in what/how you can modify the dash.

I went for the complete akro system, as it was only £200 more than just the end can by itself. an obvious bargain then. As for the top box every self respecting bike has one. Although I doubt there is another R with a givi 58L outback on the back.

Going for the full system was a wise, if more expensive choice. The stock system is prone to rot and leak at the last 'Y' junction welds. I think bikes that are ridden every day and hard (fjtwelve, black-k1 etc) are less prone to it than bikes like mine which get ridden less frequently but just as hard. Sitting with condensation in the pipes is always a killer for an exhaust, even a stainless one.

Your attitude toward topboxes will ensure you are never banned from these hallowed halls. But be VERY careful in whose company you speak of such things for there are devils and disbelievers about  8)

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30th Year
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED indicators, LED H7 Conversion, HP Dash
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 10:10:19 pm »

2D has a USB to serial cable that uses a "binder 719 5 Pin female" plug, on the back of the dash there are 3 round plugs / bungs - one of them is the port to plug into.

The latest software is "Race 2019" which I posted a link to - fire that up and you're golden.

Beware! There's a lot to this software, channels and tables, packet formats etc that you need to understand to do this. I haven't assembled the cable yet myself to actually get on and try it - but I've read through the manual - some of what I want looks easy to do, some others look hard as I'll need to know the id's of the canbus devices (should be easy to find) and then the right messages (hard bit) that convey the info I want.

Long and short - if you've done any canbus sniffing on any other vehicle - you should be able to do it. Canbus isn't a million miles away from ethernet in the way it works so if you've any experience of that - imagine you've got a packet capture and you're trying to work out what the capture is telling you without the aid of any software to parse the headers and flags.

How does that sound?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:12:42 pm by sitting_duck »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 10:57:17 pm »
 imagine you've got a packet capture and you're trying to work out what the capture is telling you without the aid of any software to parse the headers and flags.

How does that sound?

It sounds like running Wireshark in Braille. No, it feels like running Wireshark in Braille.  8)

Offline Tractors are go

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: comfort/dynamic pack, 2D dash, akrapovic full system and hilltopped; extra carbon bling of front mudguard/bellypan/seat unit; all done to save weight honest, BMW sports panniers
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 08:49:40 pm »
I've got a gs911 which I use on the 11r and gsa, and can follow realtime readings. I'll take it slowly and will shout HELP very loudly.

I agree about the fuel gauge bit, I'm think about engine temp displayed, I don't see why instead of blocks, it can't give an actual reading ie 90°c does anyone know at what temp the cooling fan kicks in at.

As a sad person I have 4 Vf1000r, and one mod is a manual override, hit town/traffic switch on fan, or I found that pre Vtec vfr800 operates 8°c lower, so the fan now cuts in earlier.

As for the top box, oh yea of little faith. Givi OBK 58L it is a big, aluminium top box, usually found attached to mighty steeds like my gsa. Can take two full face helmets and additional accoutrements down the sides.

Or one man and his girlfriend's clothing for a week's touring.

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 10:10:10 pm »
Tractors Are Go... KR... Top box... Scotts address... did I meet you at Alan Jeffries one rainy day last year (or possibly late 2017)?
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 10:47:31 pm »
I used to ride a bike. Now it seems I need to go to uni to learn a different and very foreign language... 8)

Offline Tractors are go

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 11:23:39 pm »
Tractors Are Go... KR... Top box... Scotts address... did I meet you at Alan Jeffries one rainy day last year (or possibly late 2017)?

Sadly, not I. Only bought the KR last month.

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 08:47:55 am »
I used to ride a bike. Now it seems I need to go to uni to learn a different and very foreign language... 8)

I thought it was only me.

I've put fresh batteries in my Babel Fish but it's not helped - I think the packet sniffer must have a cold...