Author Topic: Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum - New Forest'ish  (Read 170 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum - New Forest'ish
« on: May 15, 2024, 06:33:40 pm »
Today I went here/there after visiting that Compton Abbas airfield place for lunch. Someone must have told me about it previously as it was saved to my google maps and I'd never been before. When I arrived there were a bunch of Nortons and associated humans in the courtyard, plus an assortment of stuff in the car park. I plonked mine next to a lovely looking CCM.

Below are some photos. I recommend it. There's a cafe too however I decided to try and beat the traffic and left without visiting that part. In retrospect I should have stayed and come home late late. Fricking traffic!

Also they had budgies and love birds. I used to have budgies so I gave them the nod.

Charlie Dimmock's bike from the Dakar.

JPS! Although doesn't seem to be making the most of it and looks a bit subdued. I'm sure someone knows the history.

This was at the entrance proper. I really like it as it reminds me of the Fallout fifties style. Whatever that style is. If it was powered by a fusion engine even better.

Fricking scooters!

A great idea for a chain replacement.

I'd love a blue bike

These always looked much bigger on TV, this was the first time seeing one in the terrible plastic flesh.

1955 Vincent Black Knight. Awesome.

An original Katana. I hope it was nicer than the current one.

This thing is awesome, how many moving parts! I love how the advert goes into the detail of how it works, written by the guy who actually came up with it.

A V8 Moto Guzzi. I think that's my next bike. We may have to divert to Italy so I can ask them about making another.

We've got a way to go with our high mileage Ks!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
Re: Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum - New Forest'ish
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 07:18:02 pm »
Looks good Matt! I popped into the National Motorcycle Museum the other day for breakfast but the upstairs restaurant was closed during COVID and never reopened.

They have a small coffee bar that serves soup, panini & cakes just outside the entrance to the shop which is very civilised being quiet, carpeted and complete with that unique smell the place has. Had a breakfast panini - sausage, bacon & mushrooms I think and a decent Illy latte.

Only Sammy Miller I've ever seen was at Santa Pod in the 80's piloting his incredible hydrogen peroxide powered lunar landing module rocket motor (not just mere jet engine) Vanishing Point running 0-386mph in a staggering 3.58 seconds! Fastest absolute ET record anywhere on the planet which still stands to this day and will probably never be beaten.

Just looked up some stats on Slammin' Sammy who pretty much blacked out during his runs that caused his ears and nose to bleed apparently;

0-60mph in 0.28 seconds (Yes that's just under 0.3 of a second!!)
0-100mph in 0.36 seconds
0-319mph in 1.6 seconds
0-400mph in 3.6 seconds

and 0-247mph in 1.62 seconds on ice!!!!!

I remember watching him blow the windows out of the control tower and the roof peeling off the barn that used to be behind the start line! That was in the days before they used to drive a tractor-type vehicle with a huge, blast-deflecting bucket up behind him before he launched.

And here was me thinking my K1300GT was fast...

-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 10:23:00 pm by GlynH »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 09:16:42 pm »
Why is it that museums are just full of old stuff?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 09:26:47 pm »
Coz the new stuff hasn't been invented yet  :azn:

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 10:23:35 pm »
GlynH I saw Sammy Miller at the Pod a couple of times. Just incredible. A great place to get your ears full of the best engine noises by far.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 02:32:55 pm »
Today I went here/there after visiting that Compton Abbas airfield place for lunch. Someone must have told me about it previously ...

That would be Andym2. Take a bow, Andy!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 02:42:11 pm »

These always looked much bigger on TV, this was the first time seeing one in the terrible plastic flesh.

There's a stylish touch of early (brick-type) K on that fairing and wing mirror combi.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 06:14:04 pm »
I always had visions of watching the 6 o'clock news and seeing the results of a coming together between  a Sinclair Tupperware box and the driven wheel of an HGV...