Author Topic: Motorcycle navigation systems rating  (Read 12407 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Motorcycle navigation systems rating
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 05:10:58 pm »
There is another technique. Install express in a lap top and the Mapsourse and related programs to plan routes to another desk top PC. Then your life updates and route programming is much easier although it remains time consuming. All you have to do is connect the Garmin to in one of them each time. The down side of this installation with me is that the desk top is in the upper floor and I have to go up and down the stairs again and again and again :o
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 05:12:32 pm »
Make sure you connect to the Sat Nav First before the intercom. If you set up the intercom connection first, the Sat Nav cannot break through the connection. Do it this way and you will be fine.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 05:22:38 pm »
Thanks for that useful snippet Rae. I will set it up that way when we're next out, hopefully over Easter if it stops peeing down in the Sarf!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »
Let me know how you get on, there are other tips if that doesn't work.

Offline Lolo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 07:18:44 pm »
I used to have the Tom Tom rider and though it was great till it died! I couldn't get hold of another one quick enough for my needs so bought a Garmin Zumo 660 which I absolutely love.  :-* :-* :-* :-* wouldn't go back to Tom Tom now.

It has space to put music on so on those long 5-7 hour rides its fantastic. I have the music on all the time actually  cheers me up on a rainy ride.  :D

The screen is quite big which is useful too.  I bought a lockable cradle so I dont ever bother taking it off the bike.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 10:47:25 pm »
Let me know how you get on, there are other tips if that doesn't work.
Yes, will do Rae. Thanks.

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 02:42:43 pm »
Ah, Brendan, bless your heart! I knew someone would start us off on the 'updating a Garmin' saga

Thank you for that Brian (upon whom one can always rely for technical support)
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history

Offline Pmorritt

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30 Anniversary Ed.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This n that+ other stuff
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 12:14:15 am »
Noticed this in the Telegraph this morning:

Two American tourists ended up stranded after setting their satnav to a remote beauty spot because they needed a ferry boat to get there.

The satnav sent them onto a deserted beach where their car got stuck in the sand.

The couple, on holiday from Texas, were heading for Caldey Island, half a mile off the seaside resort of Tenby, west Wales.

But their sat nav didn't tell them they needed a ferry to reach the island and the boats don't even run at this time of year.

Whoops!
Funny you should post that. I had a similar incident while touring Cornwall few years ago.  Garmin took us to a ferry that wasn't in season. However I did learn that in navigation window one can turn off such directions as u turns which are impossible on farm roads in St Ives,And Ferries!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is quite exhausting

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 12:24:10 pm »
A great feature of the K16 is its integration of the gps into the dash. When you turn the ignition off the screen lowers down and locks it in - this is great as you never have to remove it and you can stop at coffee shops eye without worry.

I just changed from the Nav IV to V as it has a slightly bigger screen, but it is a complete change of OS, takes some getting used to.