Author Topic: It's a good time to get a NIP...  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
It's a good time to get a NIP...
« on: October 21, 2020, 03:47:40 pm »
...relatively speaking!

The Saturday morning after the Wrinklies trip I was trundling up the A417 heading for home and was just passing the bend leading onto the mega mile straight by the Daglingworth exit. Now this straight is getting very dodgy as Glos Cops have got a camera with a long lens that can id the driver at 1100 metres and although I haven't stopped and used the binoculars to spec it out, what with the dips and crests in this stretch of the road I reckon that from their favourite parking spot at the far end of the straight in the lay-by at Granny's Pumps, they 'may' be able to get you all the way back here.

The Garmin was squawking like mad at me and I was saying 'I know, I bloody know, stop nagging me. I'm looking for the bloody thing! It isn't there...! Ah heFll...it's HERE!'

The car in front had been meandering all over the road and was slowing down so I had decided to pop past him. There was a bike coming up fast so I hoofed it and pulled in just in time to spot the bloody van hiding in the shade under a couple of trees. The bike behind me stood on it's nose as he realised why I was brake testing him and the clown in the car just carried on as if nothing was happening in front of him and nearly collected my rear bumper. Remember, I was doing a Brian and had gone down to Worthing in the car. If I'd been on the bike who knows what would have happened.

92 is my usual cruising speed so I was relieved to get the NIP saying I was only doing 88...

I wasn't sure what I was expecting and I have always said I wouldn't do a speed awareness course as a) I know what speed I'm doing and b) I wouldn't be able to keep my big mouth shut in class with all the bollox they spout.

So, a conditional offer of 3 points and £100 was a relief because a) it could have been a lot worse and b) they 'might' have offered me the course and then I 'might' have had to swallow my principles as it were.

Still, 20'odd years since the last NIP and I went to court and beat them that time so I figure I'm still ahead.

This is probably the Covid bonus. Courts are jammed to the rafters, no one wants to run a speed awareness course with only two socially distanced berks in the class, coughing and sneezing, so the conditional offer seems like a reasonable compromise.

I'll take that. And if you think you are due a NIP on the law of averages, now is not a bad time to get it in  :)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: It's a good time to get a NIP...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 05:04:37 pm »
Aha! I would only go on a speed awareness course if they could guarantee you'd be there too :D.

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 05:33:04 pm »
Bad luck Brian. I'm sure that for many of us it's only a matter of time ...

A fellow Old Git got done recently for filtering past an unmarked by crossing a solid white line. He was offered a driver awareness course and accepted. It was an on-line Teams/Zoom type event so as long as you remember to press the mute button you can happily tell them they're talking sh1te! :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 05:49:40 pm »
Bad luck Brian. I'm sure that for many of us it's only a matter of time ...

A fellow Old Git got done recently for filtering past an unmarked by crossing a solid white line. He was offered a driver awareness course and accepted. It was an on-line Teams/Zoom type event so as long as you remember to press the mute button you can happily tell them they're talking sh1te! :D

Never thought of that... :)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 06:43:52 pm »
Aha! I would only go on a speed awareness course if they could guarantee you'd be there too :D.

Brilliant!
Bait Awareness course.

Doesn't going on an awareness course keep the points off your licence, and thus keep your insurance down?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 06:47:35 pm »
Yeah but they scuttlebadger seems to be the small speeding SO-whatever makes bugger all difference to insurance.

Never had to find out though.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 06:57:49 pm »
Last one I got was 18 moths ago similar speed got me 6 points and 175 quid but it was by the sheep shagging police so hey ho, as for convictions think the last one must have been number 14 or 15 over the years  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:40 pm »
I rarely ride/drive far during the day, Wrinklies being the exception and now you know why I is Tail End Charlie.........

Few miles at all during the day now I is re-tyred...

I always think like a speed cop, rarely like a speeder. Simples!

One in 20 is not too bad a set of odds.

Ifigure that £100 over 20 years is nor bad at £5/annum 😎