Author Topic: Wanted K1200S tyre pressure sensor  (Read 12257 times)

Offline Ned1

• View Profile
Re: Wanted K1200S tyre pressure sensor
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 05:13:18 pm »
Not having had TPS before, all this talk has got me worried as I'm due to replace my tyre in a few months.

Can a good tyre fitte (I've always been very happy with Gary at GS Motorcycles) fit new tyre with problems and the need for a reset?

Had new tyres fitted because the bike started to weave at low speed and thinking it was rubbish tyres that where fitted from new had
them fitted by BMW being concerned about the TPS and at the time where only £8 more.
BMW also checked the front and rear ends and informed me that the ball joints are on the way out and would need to be replaced.
So I may not of needed new tyres but I was glad I went to BMW in the end.   

Ned

Ride like they are out to kill you and live to ride another day

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 05:28:45 pm »
Ned, for your info ball joints went awol at 30000 kms after exactly 5 years fm production date. Bike 2/2009
Embrace the wind.

Offline Ned1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 06:59:59 pm »
Costas,
I can only talk about mine which where replaced after only 8000 miles, scary.

Ned  :o
Ride like they are out to kill you and live to ride another day

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »
Not having had TPS before, all this talk has got me worried as I'm due to replace my tyre in a few months.

Can a good tyre fitte (I've always been very happy with Gary at GS Motorcycles) fit new tyre with problems and the need for a reset?
Make sure that they know that you have tyre pressure monitors fitted and if that doesn't mean anything to them, then don't allow them near your wheel. Inexperienced tyre fitters have damaged sensors because they catch them with the levers. The sensor will not require anything reseting unless it is changed.

I have alwys changed my own tyres which gives me peace of mind and saves me a lot of money.

Thanks John I've seen that info about changing the sensor battery. My bike is a 2007 and still has the original sensors and fitted batteries. When I first got the bike the expert at my local BMW dealer told me that they changed the sensors every time they fitted new tyres.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 05:58:28 am »
Now that it was mentioned elsewhere by RAE, if you are riding a K12, when changing the tyres make sure the fitters install properly the floating spacers (bobbins) and the regular spacer, each in combination with the bolt provided and in correct order.
Otherwise throw them away and get the new K13 spacers and bolts and install those ones.
Find it very difficult to believe that a dealer had changed the TPS sensors (140 euros each) and not mentioned that in bikes service history records, and did that frequently at tyre change intervals. But maybe previous owner was loaded.
Changing the batteries fm the sensors is proved a difficult task, here with some friend we only managed to destroy four and fix two, at this ratio and after a lot of effort do not believe that we were very happy with result, our dealer was kind enough to program them, believe he did it simply cause he had being curious to see our repair outcome and did it FOC, for only this time he said. The set is still operational with the bike after 12000kms and two tyre sets replaced.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:12:14 am by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 07:01:18 am »
This thread reminded me about a problem I had a few years ago when I had aftermarket TPMS fitted to my R1100S. Protyres in Bristol broke one of my sensors even after I had warned them about them being fitted. The sensors on this system were separate to the valve and actually fitted to the centre of the wheel with a large jubilee type clip. I managed to obtain a replacement sensor for free as I knew the Importer and he had spares and ended up getting my mate to take the tyre off and refit the sensor for me. It wasnt long after this that Protyre started to refuse to change tyres on bikes with TPMS, dont know if thats still the case.
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 07:58:11 am »
We are going to a more technical discussion now, indeed some tyre fitters refuse to change tyres or readdress the job to a more qualified shop or to a specific shop with proper equipment that can change that tyre with rim sensor.
New tyre changers fm companies like AXEL and Ravaglioli fm Italy and MACHT fm Germany already advertise for their machines features like Automatic Mode, Rime edge sensitivity, Self-Locking Plate, central rim locking system, reverse rims ability, and sensor sensitivity.
So , we only have to ask if the fitter has the proper machine.
And be present when they do the job i guess........ :-* :-* :-* :-*   
Embrace the wind.